• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cheetah and His Everything Journal

1,085 posts in this topic

RareHighGrade has the Mile High copies of the first 8 issues and they look to be amazing. I've given a lot of thought about how to go about collecting these issues but, since I've never seen any for sale, it's not really become an issue.

The Church copies look brand new with the gloss and pages you would expect of Church copies from this time period. :cloud9: Given that they are placemat-size, they are in remarkable condition and were not improperly folded over/bent even though they are much bigger than all but a few 30s comics. Some do show up for sale but are almost always low grade.

Group2.jpg

I find these magazine sized issues quirky as there are so few of them and were used for such a short period of time. I have come to enjoy them more but I do have a special location to store them since they don't fit in the regulation sized mylars.

Red cover = ^^

Anyway, my collection starts with issue #9. This one is also oversized but smaller than the first issues. It's one of two comics I have that are slabbed in the magazine-sized holder. After that, I have all but 24 of the regular-sized 159 issues. I really like the series because it takes you through such an extended period of the golden age and you can see the change in artistic styles as time progresses. Enough rambling.

Jumbo Comics 9

Jumbo009.jpg

RareHighGrade has the Mile High copies of the first 8 issues and they look to be amazing. I've given a lot of thought about how to go about collecting these issues but, since I've never seen any for sale, it's not really become an issue.

The Church copies look brand new with the gloss and pages you would expect of Church copies from this time period. :cloud9: Given that they are placemat-size, they are in remarkable condition and were not improperly folded over/bent even though they are much bigger than all but a few 30s comics. Some do show up for sale but are almost always low grade.

Group2.jpg

They are probably the only copies that weren't folded and damaged on the way home from the newsstand. It's nice to know there are copies like that out there.

I find these magazine sized issues quirky as there are so few of them and were used for such a short period of time. I have come to enjoy them more but I do have a special location to store them since they don't fit in the regulation sized mylars.

Red cover = ^^

Anyway, my collection starts with issue #9. This one is also oversized but smaller than the first issues. It's one of two comics I have that are slabbed in the magazine-sized holder. After that, I have all but 24 of the regular-sized 159 issues. I really like the series because it takes you through such an extended period of the golden age and you can see the change in artistic styles as time progresses. Enough rambling.

Jumbo Comics 9

Jumbo009.jpg

I've only got two of this size in my entire collection. Right now, they are just in padded envelopes.

The red cover looks much better in hand, too. It really is an awesome looking cover. I tried tracking down the MH copy but never got a response back from the owner.

The owner, last I heard, was the daughter of an old-time dealer that I'm not particularly fond of having sold me a restored Green Lantern 1 (GA). The discovery of that and some other restored books was sufficiently discouraging that I sold off a number of GA comics and stopped collecting that era for several years.

My recollection from either board postings or a conversation was that the owner was looking for $30k for the Church copy. I may be wrong on the exact amount but it was an extremely large and discouraging number.

I suspect this cover might have been laid out by Eisner. He was the head of the shop, was known to do that and it gives a super-strong Eisner-esque vibe. The coloring and design make for a very pretty cover. :cloud9:

Jumbo Comics 16

Jumbo016.jpg

The owner, last I heard, was the daughter of an old-time dealer that I'm not particularly fond of having sold me a restored Green Lantern 1 (GA). The discovery of that and some other restored books was sufficiently discouraging that I sold off a number of GA comics and stopped collecting that era for several years.

My recollection from either board postings or a conversation was that the owner was looking for $30k for the Church copy. I may be wrong on the exact amount but it was an extremely large and discouraging number.

That's pretty much what I heard, too. I sent an email inquiring about it but to no avail.

I suspect this cover might have been laid out by Eisner. He was the head of the shop, was known to do that and it gives a super-strong Eisner-esque vibe. The coloring and design make for a very pretty cover. :cloud9:

Jumbo Comics 16

Jumbo016.jpg

The reds on this one are far superior to any of the reds on any other Fiction House cover I have. The PQ isn't the best but it doesn't detract from the brightness of the cover.

That's pretty much what I heard, too. I sent an email inquiring about it but to no avail.

To prevent any misunderstanding, I should clarify that my unsatisfactory dealings were with the father and I can't speak for anything with regards to the daughter.

Jumbo Comics 16

Jumbo016.jpg

The reds on this one are far superior to any of the reds on any other Fiction House cover I have. The PQ isn't the best but it doesn't detract from the brightness of the cover.

Most of the early books have normal quality of cover inks. They soon corrected that however.... :eek:

I've thought it worthwhile to develop some type of chart showing when, over time, coloring is decent vs defective. We may be able to do that partly by using the books you post since your FH runs are so extensive.

There is so much variability within the issues with poor inking. I think it is possible to find nicely colored copies of almost every issue. Some just take more time than others.

Jungle7275001reduced.jpg

Jungle7270001reduced.jpg

Jungle9292001.jpg

There is so much variability within the issues with poor inking. I think it is possible to find nicely colored copies of almost every issue. Some just take more time than others.

That's a perfect trio to show the variability. (thumbs u

What I have seen is that the relative frequency of low quality inks does vary over time. For example, the first few and the last 8 issues of Planet almost never have color deficiencies while other issues mostly do. I would like to put together a list indicating when it occurs.

I think the Matt Baker Jumbo books are the ones most likely to suffer from poor color. It seems to be less of a problem after issue 125 or so. The reds are a problem as early as issue 14.

I think in '49 or so there's a period of decent colors. For example, I generally see nice colors on Fight 61 (a Baker book). I'm not sure whether some months are better than others or whether it varies by issue. It will take a decent sample size, which is why your scans are so handy as a starting point, in order to have some level of confidence.