• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT- If gas prices climb any higher...

75 posts in this topic

Good god Xsmanx....your avatar is starting to look like a patchwork quilt! Talk about a split personality! 893frustrated.gif

27_laughing.gifmad.gif

devil.gifangel.gif

893frustrated.gifflowerred.gif

I cant believe your still up Red...isnt it 3am there to???

I cant believe your still up Red...isnt it 3am there to???

Only 11pm here . wink.gif

Alaska rules!

Gonna be 80 degrees today...how about up there? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Blame the Canadians and Saudis and Tree Huggers.

OPEC has more of an effect on Gas Prices than Canada does.!

Gas here in Canada is the equivilent(sp?) of $2.75) a US Gallon

we are paying almost $1 a Litre of Gas

By sheer luck we managed to dump our Cherokees (14mpg city, 16mpg highway) for a Honda CRV (26mpg-ish) I think my plans on getting a small pick-up just bit the dust considering the gas prices. Maybe the Datsun 210 will make a comeback!

CRC

sign-rantpost.gif ON

Do not get me started. Petrol in this country is 83p a litre and likely to hit 90p within the month (at the current exchange rate, those figures are around $6.60 and $7.16 a gallon).

I do not need a bunch of [!@#%^&^] Americans complaining about their dirt cheap prices, when their gas guzzling cars currently use up around 80% of the worlds petrol at a fraction of the price of everywhere else.

Unfortunately, you've paid for these prices with a foreign policy designed to [!@#%^&^] off just about everybody else in the world, from the oil producing countries to the other oil consuming markets. What's worse is that my government, regardless of whatever political colours it shows at the time, insists on dragging me in to your conflicts that result from this and I'm just as likely to find myself in a post nuclear/biological/chemical fallout as you are.

I like your comics, but GWB is an arsehole and I say that as a lifelong Conservative who wouldn't vote Labour if you pointed a gun at my head.

sign-rantpost.gif OFF

sign-rantpost.gif ON

Do not get me started. Petrol in this country is 83p a litre and likely to hit 90p within the month (at the current exchange rate, those figures are around $6.60 and $7.16 a gallon).

I do not need a bunch of [!@#%^&^] Americans complaining about their dirt cheap prices, when their gas guzzling cars currently use up around 80% of the worlds petrol at a fraction of the price of everywhere else.

Unfortunately, you've paid for these prices with a foreign policy designed to [!@#%^&^] off just about everybody else in the world, from the oil producing countries to the other oil consuming markets. What's worse is that my government, regardless of whatever political colours it shows at the time, insists on dragging me in to your conflicts that result from this and I'm just as likely to find myself in a post nuclear/biological/chemical fallout as you are.

I like your comics, but GWB is an arsehole and I say that as a lifelong Conservative who wouldn't vote Labour if you pointed a gun at my head.

sign-rantpost.gif OFF

Actually you're being a bit naive there. If you exclude all the NATO based conflicts that the U.K. has been involved in, Britain is still the second largest exporter of arms in the world, after the U.S. The U.K. hasn't been complicit in these wars simply through kowtowing to U.S. interests.

It was Thatcher (who you presumably voted for) who re-energised the British economy after the Falklands War (said so-called conflict was nothing more than an advertisement for British arms). We sell, and have sold arms to all the countries in the Persian Gulf, the Middle East (especially Dubya's true enemy, Saudi Arabia), Indonesia (remember the East Timor genocide) and so on. And on.

I could go on, but maybe we should take it to the WC.

sign-rantpost.gif

Gary, I am with you all the way. As an American I am astonished how out-of-the-loop we are regarding gas prices on a global scale. We still think we have this inalienable right to go careening all over the place in huge SUVs (mini-tanks) and to do it cheaply too. I just wish the US would learn a little resource-humility. Being old enough to remember the first Earth Day (God Help Me!), I can't help but notice that our former concern with environmental issues has been replaced with an arrogance about our "right-to-have-it-all".

Of course I think alot of that attitude comes from the dude in the top office. What do you expect from an oil man. confused-smiley-013.gif

Maybe higher gas prices will make people think twice about firing up the 8mpg Dodge Behemoth in the driveway to go down to the convenience store for a quart of milk. When I was in Europe in March it was hard not to notice the much lower percentage of plain old fat-asses that you see herding around the malls here in the United State of Obesity.

Ok, guys, end of Rant. sign-rantpost.gif

Ugh....

please remove all my posts from this thread, I think I'm going to be sick.

It just goes to show you how grateful people in the UK are...we've saved your 4sses so many times it isn't even funny....your little island would be Germany right now if it wasn't for us. I see how the BBC and the other rags over there are so anti-american it isn't even funny. If you don't like us....don't take anything from us...nothing, no trade at all, get it from your other Euro friends and we will take nothing from you.

I'm sorry you guys have $8 gas....I'm sorry that your pay the SAME for a barrel of oil as we do...and that your country is fvcking you with taxes. 75% of that $8 a gallon you are paying over there is TAXES....you know, the WHOLE REASON WE BROKE AWAY FROM YOU GUYS IN THE FIRST PLACE HUNDREDS OF YEARS AGO.

Both our countries are paying $40 a barrel for oil, gas here is $2.00 a gallon for regular on average...gas there is 3x - 4x that much yet we BOTH pay the same for a barrel of oil.

Yeah, that is our fault you 893censored-thumb.gif...

I officially drop out of this thread. mad.gif

Actually you're being a bit naive there. If you exclude all the NATO based conflicts that the U.K. has been involved in, Britain is still the second largest exporter of arms in the world, after the U.S. The U.K. hasn't been complicit in these wars simply through kowtowing to U.S. interests.

It was Thatcher (who you presumably voted for) who re-energised the British economy after the Falklands War (said so-called conflict was nothing more than an advertisement for British arms). We sell, and have sold arms to all the countries in the Persian Gulf, the Middle East (especially Dubya's true enemy, Saudi Arabia), Indonesia (remember the East Timor genocide) and so on. And on.

I deplore the arms trade for which we are undoubtedly significantly responsible throughout the world. The only thing I would say is that it provides employment for an awful lot of people and it's not realistic to think that they could all get jobs in car factories if we stopped making bombs. That said, I wish we didn't make bombs.

That aside, it has nothing to do with UK involvement in 3 gulf wars or recent Eastern European conflicts (although the latter is more debatable). These were all US led and whether it was Major or Blair, we got dragged in to make it seem that there was a viable coalition. These conflicts had nothing to do with their purported aims - UN resolutions (get out of Kuwait) or a war on terrorism. They were purely to do with oil and in particular, the US's consumption thereof.

I didn't vote for Thatcher, who I couldn't abide and I was against the Falklands War. I'm a Conservative for economic reasons and I see no problem with having non Tory views on side issues. The most sensible speech I ever heard with regards to the Gulf, was the one Tony Benn delivered in the Commons during the first conflict and I'm a pole apart from him in every other respect.

It's a sore point for me, but I really do resent what I see as the abrogation of our own governments independence purely to lend credence to US based aggression. Successive administrations have there way through SE Asia, Central America and now the Middle East. I have met and liked many Americans as individuals, but I don't think they have any idea of the depth of ill-feeling that is felt for the country throughout most of the rest of the world. Have you ever seen the David Niven movie 'A Matter of Life and Death?'. Niven is trying to get an extension on his life and has a court case in heaven. The prosecutor makes the point that whichever countries make up the jury, they will always be biased against him because every country has a reason to hate the English colonisers/aggresors. In 60 years the circle has turned and my travels in Europe and this country have shown me a resentment that I would never have believed possible a couple of decades ago.

Both parties over here are culpable. Their desire to portray us as a significant world power still, decades after the fall of Singapore, is risible. I wish they'd had the guts to say "No, go and use someone else's planes/bases/arms", but they didn't. I drive to work but my wife, who funnily enough is a lifelong Labour supporter, doesn't and she uses the tube in Central London. One day, something will happen over here and I'm convinced the target will be the Underground. It may not be as bad as the twin towers, but it will quite likely be worse than Madrid and the whole thing pisses me off.

I don't know who Toby Young is, I only read comics smile.gif

It just goes to show you how grateful people in the UK are...we've saved your 4sses so many times it isn't even funny....your little island would be Germany right now if it wasn't for us. I see how the BBC and the other rags over there are so anti-american it isn't even funny. If you don't like us....don't take anything from us...nothing, no trade at all, get it from your other Euro friends and we will take nothing from you.

Actually, you stole our industry and bankrupted us to make us pay back for the help you gave. This was at a time when 6 million Jews and around several million gypsies, homosexuals and general non-aryans were being rounded up and shoved into gas tanks England fought against German military aggression from 1939 onwards and the US only became involved in late 1941. Maybe our little island would have been Germany, along with the rest of Europe, but try that line on any Jewish friends you might have.

I deplore the arms trade for which we are undoubtedly significantly responsible throughout the world. The only thing I would say is that it provides employment for an awful lot of people and it's not realistic to think that they could all get jobs in car factories if we stopped making bombs. That said, I wish we didn't make bombs.

That aside, it has nothing to do with UK involvement in 3 gulf wars or recent Eastern European conflicts (although the latter is more debatable). These were all US led and whether it was Major or Blair, we got dragged in to make it seem that there was a viable coalition. These conflicts had nothing to do with their purported aims - UN resolutions (get out of Kuwait) or a war on terrorism. They were purely to do with oil and in particular, the US's consumption thereof.

I didn't vote for Thatcher, who I couldn't abide and I was against the Falklands War. I'm a Conservative for economic reasons and I see no problem with having non Tory views on side issues. The most sensible speech I ever heard with regards to the Gulf, was the one Tony Benn delivered in the Commons during the first conflict and I'm a pole apart from him in every other respect.

It's a sore point for me, but I really do resent what I see as the abrogation of our own governments independence purely to lend credence to US based aggression. Successive administrations have there way through SE Asia, Central America and now the Middle East. I have met and liked many Americans as individuals, but I don't think they have any idea of the depth of ill-feeling that is felt for the country throughout most of the rest of the world. Have you ever seen the David Niven movie 'A Matter of Life and Death?'. Niven is trying to get an extension on his life and has a court case in heaven. The prosecutor makes the point that whichever countries make up the jury, they will always be biased against him because every country has a reason to hate the English colonisers/aggresors. In 60 years the circle has turned and my travels in Europe and this country have shown me a resentment that I would never have believed possible a couple of decades ago.

Both parties over here are culpable. Their desire to portray us as a significant world power still, decades after the fall of Singapore, is risible. I wish they'd had the guts to say "No, go and use someone else's planes/bases/arms", but they didn't. I drive to work but my wife, who funnily enough is a lifelong Labour supporter, doesn't and she uses the tube in Central London. One day, something will happen over here and I'm convinced the target will be the Underground. It may not be as bad as the twin towers, but it will quite likely be worse than Madrid and the whole thing pisses me off.

I don't know who Toby Young is, I only read comics smile.gif

Toby Young is a newspaper columnist / chattering class guru / T.V. rentagob who wrote a book called "How to lose friends and alienate people".

It sounded like you read the book as I knew that someone had to take offence to what you said.

All I will say is that you can't blame the U.S. for everything. makepoint.gif

Toby Young is a newspaper columnist / chattering class guru / T.V. rentagob who wrote a book called "How to lose friends and alienate people".

It sounded like you read the book as I knew that someone had to take offence to what you said.

All I will say is that you can't blame the U.S. for everything. makepoint.gif

I don't wish to offend, but equally, I don't care if I do. It's an emotive subject for me. I don't blame the US for everything and I don't blame their individuals for anything, but I can put an awful lot of flak in their Government's direction. The fact that I own masses of American comics/records/movies doesn't make me feel beholden to a system that produced Oliver North.