• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT- If gas prices climb any higher...

75 posts in this topic

That aside, it has nothing to do with UK involvement in 3 gulf wars or recent Eastern European conflicts (although the latter is more debatable). These were all US led and whether it was Major or Blair, we got dragged in to make it seem that there was a viable coalition. These conflicts had nothing to do with their purported aims - UN resolutions (get out of Kuwait) or a war on terrorism. They were purely to do with oil and in particular, the US's consumption thereof

Kuwait was INVADED...we did for them what we did for YOU and defended them when they couldn't. Sound famliar?

this is a sore point for me, but I really do resent what I see as the abrogation of our own governments independence purely to lend credence to US based aggression.

893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

14 resolutions in 12 years, millions of people in mass graves....see, you like to sit back and pass resolution after resolution and sip tea as hundreds of thousands of bodies are being piled into mass graves at a time....but when it comes to taking action AMERICA IS EVIL.

STFU and drink your tea.

I have met and liked many Americans as individuals, but I don't think they have any idea of the depth of ill-feeling that is felt for the country throughout most of the rest of the world.

Trust me, we know EXACTLY how much people hate us in other countries. Every single country on the face of this earth comes to the US for aid, for military help, for trade.... etc. etc. etc. etc. but they all hate us.

It makes me sick when I hear you guys cry about ANYTHING. If America took your complacent attitudes, we would have never helped you, and you would now be living under communist rule.

One day, something will happen over here and I'm convinced the target will be the Underground. It may not be as bad as the twin towers, but it will quite likely be worse than Madrid and the whole thing pisses me off.

what would you do if America started calling you names and turned our back on you then? Or, do what you are doing now....go and help, but spout HATE SPEAK about you the whole time.

You in no way speak for all of the UK. We love our friends there and we stand by your country 100%...even when you are throwing rocks at us for doing so. Ever notice that we DON'T do the same to you? The US loves the UK, and we love Tony Blair...too bad we are so "hated" around the world.

All I will say is that you can't blame the U.S. for everything.

We can......and we will. sumo.gif

26_6_7.gif

So the U.S. is culpable for everything??

I think my man The_Beyonder was just making light of a screwed up topic. grin.gif

26_6_7.gif

I think my man The_Beyonder was just making light of a screwed up topic. grin.gif

foreheadslap.gif I had a notion, but you never can tell with that mysterious Beyonder.....

My gawd....this IS a thread for the Water Cooler! 893whatthe.gif

heh...I need to dunk my head in a water cooler for sure wink.gif Gets me riled up every time (I'm a sucker like that)..

FOr the UK folks thinking the US is hosing them on gas...look at the UK compared to OTHER European countries. The UK's 75% in taxes holds them FAR above the european average...but I'm sure this is still somehow America's fault wink.gif :

europe_tax.gif

26_6_7.gif

foreheadslap.gif I had a notion, but you never can tell with that mysterious Beyonder.....

23_29_101.gif

I don't think Brits have ever blamed the U.S. for gas prices....we blame OPEC and our Government, as you mentioned. Not long ago there was a mass protest by truck / HGV drivers over price gouging, which ended up with petrol tankers being blockaded and no-one having access to pumps. The country came to a standstill.

Couple that with congestion charging, road tax, insane parking / lane penalties and speed bumps virtually everywhere in North London, and you have a government and a mayor who clearly have something against cars, or rather their owners.

The U.S. could end this with the technology at their fingertips - solar powered cars would be the answer. Of course the corporations in Detroit and L.A. would prevent this ever happening, but it would end Saudi Arabia and the other member states of the UAE's power in a trice. A man's gotta dream.....

As a patriotic American...

I for one would love to NUKE THIS THREAD!!!!! 893frustrated.gif

(j/k grin.gif)

14 resolutions in 12 years, millions of people in mass graves....see, you like to sit back and pass resolution after resolution and sip tea as hundreds of thousands of bodies are being piled into mass graves at a time....but when it comes to taking action AMERICA IS EVIL.

STFU and drink your tea.

The people in the mass graves most on them were killed right after the first gulf war. When they started a uprising against Sadam. Thinking we would help them over throw Sadam. Bush Sr drop the ball.

It would be helpful if everyone followed these guidelines for political conversation:

Everything is the fault of either George Bush or Bill Clinton (please pick only one).

People everywhere regardless of race, religion or national origin, should be reduced to unflattering mono-dimensional caricatures.

If we all try to stick to these guidelines, I think the discussion will be enlightening for all involved.

I don't think Brits have ever blamed the U.S. for gas prices....

You are right, most NORMAL Brits don't....but we love ALL of you, regardless wink.gif

hi.gif

Whew! I'm glad you guys found a way to kiss and make-up.

Dang, for a minute there I thought I was seeing a Boston Tea Party '04 in the making...

Gas Barrell style that is. grin.gif

Well since me and a friend were talking about this during this past weekend I thought that I would go ahead and throw in my 2 cents...

We are using gas faster than they can refine it. This is creating a shortage...

Average Commute 24.2 Minutes

Number of Drive Alone Commuters 97.1 Million

So lets do a little math....If everyone one that drove alone to work...carpooled/worked from home/mass transit/etc...1 time per week...we could save....

97,100,000 x 100 trips per year( a 50 week work year and making a round trip) * 24.2 minutes = 234,982,000,000 minutes per year..or 3,916,366,666.67 hours per year..even if the average car consumes 1/4 of a gallon of gas per hour of commute..that is still nearly 1 billion gallons of gas...next time you wanna complain about pay $50 to fill up your tank...do us all a favor and STFU. Sell your stupid f**king SUV and get a normal car..and try f**king carpooling/mass transit/work from home/anything before you start b*tching.

Gas is cheaper than water...I love that people will coplain about the price of gas, but buy bottles of water...Someone puts a container near a source of water and sell is to you...I think that getting gas is a little more difficult to get than that...

also to stevehocp...the reason that gas in this country is so low is because AMERICANS pay taxes to keep it low...state taxes, federal taxes, and the rest all pay a portion of the price at the pump...A gallon of gas in the US is well over $5, but we only pay $2....You see here in america...everyone has to pay...while in england only those who drive have to pay...Sounds like it is more fair in england than it is here....I carpool every single day, but I still pay for all of you babies that cry about having to spend $2 on a gallon of gas..god bless america...

Well since me and a friend were talking about this during this past weekend I thought that I would go ahead and throw in my 2 cents...

We are using gas faster than they can refine it. This is creating a shortage...

Average Commute 24.2 Minutes

Number of Drive Alone Commuters 97.1 Million

So lets do a little math....If everyone one that drove alone to work...carpooled/worked from home/mass transit/etc...1 time per week...we could save....

97,100,000 x 100 trips per year( a 50 week work year and making a round trip) * 24.2 minutes = 234,982,000,000 minutes per year..or 3,916,366,666.67 hours per year..even if the average car consumes 1/4 of a gallon of gas per hour of commute..that is still nearly 1 billion gallons of gas...next time you wanna complain about pay $50 to fill up your tank...do us all a favor and STFU. Sell your stupid f**king SUV and get a normal car..and try f**king carpooling/mass transit/work from home/anything before you start b*tching.

Gas is cheaper than water...I love that people will coplain about the price of gas, but buy bottles of water...Someone puts a container near a source of water and sell is to you...I think that getting gas is a little more difficult to get than that...

also to stevehocp...the reason that gas in this country is so low is because AMERICANS pay taxes to keep it low...state taxes, federal taxes, and the rest all pay a portion of the price at the pump...A gallon of gas in the US is well over $5, but we only pay $2....You see here in america...everyone has to pay...while in england only those who drive have to pay...Sounds like it is more fair in england than it is here....I carpool every single day, but I still pay for all of you babies that cry about having to spend $2 on a gallon of gas..god bless america...

Calling stevehocp! popcorn.gif

Ugh....

please remove all my posts from this thread, I think I'm going to be sick.

It just goes to show you how grateful people in the UK are...we've saved your 4sses so many times it isn't even funny....your little island would be Germany right now if it wasn't for us. I see how the BBC and the other rags over there are so anti-american it isn't even funny. If you don't like us....don't take anything from us...nothing, no trade at all, get it from your other Euro friends and we will take nothing from you.

I'm sorry you guys have $8 gas....I'm sorry that your pay the SAME for a barrel of oil as we do...and that your country is fvcking you with taxes. 75% of that $8 a gallon you are paying over there is TAXES....you know, the WHOLE REASON WE BROKE AWAY FROM YOU GUYS IN THE FIRST PLACE HUNDREDS OF YEARS AGO.

Both our countries are paying $40 a barrel for oil, gas here is $2.00 a gallon for regular on average...gas there is 3x - 4x that much yet we BOTH pay the same for a barrel of oil.

Yeah, that is our fault you 893censored-thumb.gif...

I officially drop out of this thread. mad.gif

Please do respond since you were totally wrong.. blush.gif

.Here in America people who have never driven in their life pay for you to get cheap gas...that sounds fair. 893frustrated.gif..

In england they tax the people who are buying gas...that sounds a little better to me.. :cloud9

people paying for what they use...of course that is not the american way. I have to pay for everyone else. That is the american way...

I also love when americans tell people that they would be speaking german if we had not "saved their butts in WW2" that always brings a smile to my face...

http://www.lightparty.com/Light/PriceOfGas.html