• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Long Custom Times from Canada to the US?

21 posts in this topic

I have purchased a book that was suppose to be delivered on December 5th from a Canadian seller. I have still not yet seen the book. Normally I would worry that the seller has scammed me but he is a very reputable dealer and I have had nothing but good service from him in the past.

Furthermore I bought a Christmas present for the fiance from Canada November 27th. I still haven't seen that packaged either.

Is anyone else experiencing similar issues with US customs and packages from Canada or is it just me?

Depends on how it was shipped. If its sent express you would usually receive the book within 5 business days but if its sent expedited I can take around 3 weeks. I just received 5 parcels all at once from the US, delivery seemed to be a tad bit slower.
I thought he was talking about the other way.

Depends on how it was shipped. If its sent express you would usually receive the book within 5 business days but if its sent expedited I can take around 3 weeks. I just received 5 parcels all at once from the US, delivery seemed to be a tad bit slower.
I thought he was talking about the other way.

Yes I know, my first sentence deals with shipping to the US. Just made a comment about delivery times to Canada as it did seem to be slower than normal which is expected this time of year.

Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I wouldn't expect anything to be on time except for a guaranteed service and even then a guaranteed service could arrive late.

It's the busiest time of the year folks.

Expect delays during the Christmas holiday season.

I bought a book from a US seller (with whom I dealt before) back on Dec.11 and the parcel was shipped out via USPS Express Mail International with tracking# on Dec.12. It cleared Canada Customs on Dec.14. This type of service normally takes 3 to 4 business days, meaning that I should've received it by Fri. Dec.16, but it still hasn't yet arrived.

I just got off the phone with Canada Post who confirmed that I should be receiving my parcel tomorrow (Dec.22).

No surprise here.

I shipped my secret santa gift to the US two weeks ago and it only took seven days for the recipient to receive it. I sent it parcel post.

I think there are several factors that affect the shipping time. These are not all of them but they are a few that come to mind.

Shipping from one major city or hub to another is usually quicker than shipping between non major cities or towns. For example, Toronto to New York City will be quicker than Toronto to Little Rock, Ak.

Also, all depends on the route the package needs to take. Some hub cities (cities that major shipping companies tend to send their packages through) might be slightly out of the way and delay shipment.

Finally, the lower the profile of the shipment (parcel post has a $100 max insurance) the quicker it is likely to pass through customs. A higher valued item (one in the $1000's) has a greater chance of being stopped for inspection by customs. Especially on it's way up to Canada where they paste on an additional 10-15%.

2c

Also depends on what Customs does. I don't know what criteria they use to

identify which parcels to inspect but if they do take an interest in your item delayz ensue.

I just write with a sharpie in big bold letters on each side of my package, "These are not the droids you are looking for" and customs always seems to ignore my packages for inspection. :insane:

identify which parcels to inspect but if they do take an interest in your item delayz ensue.

Yup. If they decide they want to open the box you can be left waiting 2, 3 or even 4 weeks for them to get to it.

I've had packages sit in customs for weeks just waiting to be inspected.

Ever since 9/11 customs has tightened up immensely.

I shipped my secret santa gift to the US two weeks ago and it only took seven days for the recipient to receive it. I sent it parcel post.

I think there are several factors that affect the shipping time. These are not all of them but they are a few that come to mind.

Shipping from one major city or hub to another is usually quicker than shipping between non major cities or towns. For example, Toronto to New York City will be quicker than Toronto to Little Rock, Ak.

Also, all depends on the route the package needs to take. Some hub cities (cities that major shipping companies tend to send their packages through) might be slightly out of the way and delay shipment.

Finally, the lower the profile of the shipment (parcel post has a $100 max insurance) the quicker it is likely to pass through customs. A higher valued item (one in the $1000's) has a greater chance of being stopped for inspection by customs. Especially on it's way up to Canada where they paste on an additional 10-15%.

2c

Good points Roy. Although the package was worth more, I did not insure for more than $50 which would have kepT it under the radar.

I suspect that for higher dollar books around the holidays there will be inevitable institutional delay

Rumor has it that the number of posts on these boards is a big factor :gossip:

2c

If you're shipping to Little Rock, Alaska, expect a long time for delivery. :makepoint:

2c

If you're shipping to Little Rock, Alaska, expect a long time for delivery. :makepoint:

Screw you old fashioned, hard liner.

:grin: