• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pedigree comics ?

15 posts in this topic

I am new to this forum. This is my first post. My question concerns pedigree comics. If I purchase a pedigree comic from lets say Metropolis Comics and send it into CGC to get graded, if I send the billing information from Metropolis which identifies the comic pedigree, will CGC include the pedigree when they slab my comic? Thanks in advance for your advise/help.......cheers......fp

I am new to this forum. This is my first post. My question concerns pedigree comics. If I purchase a pedigree comic from lets say Metropolis Comics and send it into CGC to get graded, if I send the billing information from Metropolis which identifies the comic pedigree, will CGC include the pedigree when they slab my comic? Thanks in advance for your advise/help.......cheers......fp

If the pedigree can be proven they will. (thumbs u

I have done this with a book purchased from Metropolis. The book recieved the pedigree designation.

WTTB....

Another question:

Is the difference to, for example, "Don Rosa Copy", that the Copy is from the Rosa Collection and the pedigree is from an unknown collection?

CGC will sometimes notate spectacular collections that do not meet the typical criteria for Pedigree status. In the case of the Rosas, there were no Gold or Silver books at all, let alone keys, so no pedigree. But the Bronze books were exceptional, so they were given "notable collection" status.

WTTB....

Another question:

Is the difference to, for example, "Don Rosa Copy", that the Copy is from the Rosa Collection and the pedigree is from an unknown collection?

CGC will sometimes notate spectacular collections that do not meet the typical criteria for Pedigree status. In the case of the Rosas, there were no Gold or Silver books at all, let alone keys, so no pedigree. But the Bronze books were exceptional, so they were given "notable collection" status.

I wish they would have done this with the Detroit Trolleys. I tried on the submission form but, no go.

Well there is absolutely no need to limit potential.

For example, I have read a little bit online about the Diamond Pedigree.

See below:

The "Diamond Run" collection was revoked of its pedigree status by CGC in 2007. That alone makes this collection interesting.

Diamond Run

The Diamond Run pedigree is one of the more unknown collections around. What is known is that it is a high grade collection of Golden and Silver Age Marvel and DC books. The collection spans from at least the late-1930's (as a Detective Comics #29 is presented in the collection), through the Silver Age.

The collection has cranked out some fantastic copies of major Silver Age keys. The Amazing Fantasy #15 (CGC graded at a 9.4 with off-white pages) from the collection sold for $122,000 in 2004. Also from the collection is a Journey Into Mystery #83 (CGC graded at a 9.0), an Avengers #1 (CGC graded at a 7.5), a Daredevil Annual #1 (CGC graded at a 9.4), a Detective Comics #29 (5.0/VGFN) and a Captain America #75 CGC 9.0.

The original owner of the collection is adamant on remaining anonymous to the public. It is known that the owner was at one time involved in the comic industry--most speculate as an editor. At least some of the Diamond Run books have been sold by Joe Latino out of Connecticut who in an email with another comic collector out of Victoria, Australia maintains that, “The (Diamond Run) collection is historically important not only for its size and condition but also because of who the owner was.” The message was concerning an Avengers #4 where he went on further to say, “The Avengers run was one of his favorite(s) and he almost kept the No. 4 book because he believes that it is the most important book in that run...the Return of Captain America was viewed by him as...the most significant...in the Silver Age. This run was bought off the stand...and then stored for the last 35 + years.”

Due to findings in 2007, CGC decided to remove the Diamond Run from its status as a pedigree collection. It was decided that there were too many restored books, as well as too many books that were not original owner purchases. While CGC cannot alter books not in its possession, if Diamond Run books are resubmitted the Diamond Run designation will be removed.

Is the Diamond pedigree the only one revoked by CGC? Since the designation has been revoked does it effect either positively or negatively? Does anyone have any additional info about the original owner of the Diamond Run?

I met Joe Latino in NYC after I bought a book from him off eBay.

He did mention to me that he was disappointed that the collection lost it's pedigree designation.