• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most frequent key

17 posts in this topic

It has probably been discussed before, but what issue(s) do you guys consider to be the easiest KEY ISSUES to get hold of in Silver? And are they comparitively(?) well priced, or overboard??

It has probably been discussed before, but what issue(s) do you guys consider to be the easiest KEY ISSUES to get hold of in Silver? And are they comparitively(?) well priced, or overboard??

What level of key are you referring to? If you're talking about mega-keys, like first appearances or first issues for major characters, it's got to be ASM 1, hands down--high grade, middle grade, low grade, they're available all the time. Even AF 15 is relatively plentiful. As for price, well, you've all seen the recent sales figures...

FF #48 and I think it is way overpriced right now. Don't get me wrong, its a great book (one of my all time faves) but it is fairly easy to find in grade.

I'm not sure it's overpriced, but it is very easy to get.

That book hasn't really moved that much over the past 12-15 years (it definitely hasn't doubled in NM).

It's a great key, but I would never pay current market prices hoping for appreciation.

Of the Pre-1965 keys, Tales of Suspense #39 and Daredevil #1 seem to be available in CGC 8.0 or better more than most others.

I can't remember discussing this topic exactly like this before, by focusing on "most frequent" key. thumbsup2.gif

Of the Marvel Silver keys, these are easiest to get, listed in order of ease to find:

1. [*]Fantastic Four 48[*]Amazing Spider-Man 14[*]Daredevil 1[*]X-Men 1[*]Amazing Spider-Man 1

I left out the late Silver issues like Doc Strange 169, Cap 100, and Iron Man 1; they would've been at the top had I included those. I left them out because some people argue that they're actually Bronze age books. confused-smiley-013.gif

If we are talking about pre 1965 I agree that I have seen a lot of TOS#39, AF#15 and even ASM #1 and JIM #83 shopped around these days. I think you see these more because they are in such high demand and people are flipping for some good returns and upgrading. Seems like every time one shows up on Comic link it is gone fairly quicky. Lately some of the TOS#39 has changed hands at what I feel is under value. A nice 6.0 went in about 2 seconds for $1,100. A 7.0 went for $2,100 but a 7.5 went for $3,600 (a big premium for a half grade, no?). I'll take that 7.0 TOS and with the left over cash buy an Avengers #1 in the same grade. I think the early Avengers stuff is a good buy because people are focused elsewhere right now. FF#1 in low to mid grade seem to be very plentiful as they are also riding the pre-movie craze but they seem a little pricey and are slow moving.

I've always been told that TtA 27 and Hulk 1 were the two hardest to get in solid VG and up.

FF 1 isn't far behind them.

The rest seem rather plentiful. confused-smiley-013.gif

Avengers #4 has also gotta be on this list... every dealer I see at a show generally has at least one of these books... and this is perhaps my favorite book ever, but it is certainly common (although not like Cap 100 which in grades below VF+ are pretty much everywhere).

Spidey 33, if you consider it a key as a classic Ditko cover. If it weren't so common it would deserve a premium. I also think this is a turning point issue where the heoric Aunt May induced Spider strength put Spidey on a whole new level where he couldn't just fight the enforcers or Princess Python anymore

I've gotta agree with FF48, but as for the others 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I suppose it's a silly question really, but, are they in good supply because they are on more 'most wanted' lists than any other???

I also agree that TTA 27 is hard to find, as well as JIM 83, in HG, but what if a Thor/A-M movie was to be released next year???? And somehow they was very good classic films (obviously it would never happen, but hypothetically). Would we then see a steady flow of these books with a cult following willing to pay high $$$??

I guess what I'm really saying is, don't you think there is a large supply of ALL silver books, they justy don't rear their heads until the timing is right (and the press is right)?

I guess what I'm really saying is, don't you think there is a large supply of ALL silver books, they justy don't rear their heads until the timing is right (and the press is right)?

There certainly is an element of that but there are some keys that are hard to find no matter what the demand. The 61 & 62 Marvels are definately tough nuts to crack.

I also agree that TTA 27 is hard to find, as well as JIM 83, in HG, but what if a Thor/A-M movie was to be released next year???? And somehow they was very good classic films (obviously it would never happen, but hypothetically). Would we then see a steady flow of these books with a cult following willing to pay high $$$??

JIM 83 in 9.0 is already a five figure book!!! How much more popular would it need to get, or how much higher would the price need to go, to draw more books out of the woodwork? TTA 27 and the entire early TTA run , on the other hand, is undervalued in Guide and has never been really sought after due to the relative lack of popularity of Antman/Giantman, so a spike in demand/price would undoubtedly lure more copies out. No that I think we'd ever see more than 4 or 5 CGC 9.4 copies of 27, if even that many.

No, I don't think there's a huge supply of all Silver Marvels due to the comments I've heard from Stan Lee about Martin Goodman's thinking in the early 1960s. The books that came out prior to Martin Goodman realizing many months after publication that Amazing Fantasy 15 was a HUGE hit are in much lower supply than the titles that began post-Amazing Fantasy 15, about 9 months after its release. Amazing Spider-Man, Daredevil, and X-Men were all published in much higher numbers than Fantastic Four 1, AF15, Hulk 1, and JIM 83. The print runs kept increasing every year following the release of Spidey #1, and they exploded in the later 60s once Marvel was able to publish more than the 8 titles per month and started with Silver Surfer, Iron Man, Doctor Strange, Nick Fury, etc.