• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the most money you have spent on a single modern comic...

44 posts in this topic

that is less than 5 years old? Why?

Cover price for me ($2.25-$2.99). More if it was a double-sized issue. I just refuse to pay crazy prices for modern comics that I buy to READ only. To me modern comics (especially those post Jim Lee X-men #1) are waaay too volatile to even consider investing in.

$199 for the JLA/Avengers series plus a gem mint copy of issue #4. Just bought it because of the great cover and I wanted to own a 10.0 in my collection. I figure that in 20 years someone will always want to pay a premium for pure mint copy with nice cover art. Probably could have waited and got it cheaper but I didn't want to bother. You don't see many 20 year old 10.0 comics for sale so for a small investment I figure it was worth the buy.

$400 for Batman 608 RRP. Sold four weeks later for $885.

Is that the same one that now goes for $2k plus? Did you flip it quick because you were worried about a sharp decline in the value because you knew the hype wouldn't last?

Thirty-something for a CGC NM/MT Authority #13.

I would pay significantly more than that for a certain book that I mention all the time.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Punisher Meets Archie #1 confused-smiley-013.gif

Fantastic Four #60 Newsstand variant.

Is that the same one that now goes for $2k plus? Did you flip it quick because you were worried about a sharp decline in the value because you knew the hype wouldn't last?

I flipped it quick because I wanted to get the $485 in my pocket. It was raw, btw. I've had several other raw ones, and have flipped everyone of them for at least a 100% profit.

I flipped it quick because I wanted to get the $485 in my pocket. It was raw, btw. I've had several other raw ones, and have flipped everyone of them for at least a 100% profit.

893applaud-thumb.gif

I would pay significantly more than that for a certain book that I mention all the time.

I thought that didn't exist??? I remember you offered some money to the first person that could just produce a scan of that cover. Don't think anyone did. That was the 9 cent copy and the newsstand variant was supposedly regular price at $2.25, right?

Christmas of 1992 (when I was 13), I asked for money from all my relatives, and bought New Mutants 87 and Magnus Robot Fighter 12. I think I dropped close to $125 for the pair.

Really horrible investment, but I dont regret it cause somehow I made a profit on the NM87 and I still have the MRF.

All my geek friends thought I was the that month...

The most I've spent on a modern (last five years) was $22 for Y The Last Man #1. Other then that I don't think I've paid more then cover price for a modern (maybe cover + 10% a few times?).

I thought that didn't exist??? I remember you offered some money to the first person that could just produce a scan of that cover. Don't think anyone did. That was the 9 cent copy and the newsstand variant was supposedly regular price at $2.25, right?

I couldn't get a scan from Marvel, but two of the editors over there confirmed that the book exists. I posted the emails in the thread that Rob started in the marketplace.