• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grading new comics

3 posts in this topic

many of today's new comics have defects straight from the production/packaging/shipping process, over the past year or so i have been noticing these types of defects, mostly in marvel books (spectacular spider-man, uncanny and new x-men, other marvel titles in that format):

-cover creasing along the spine, looks like cover wear, is all along the spine, may extend to the rest of the cover, these are non-colour breaking and are on every single copy of certain new comics, so is this a production defect or what?...i'm not sure if i'm explaining it right but people who buy new comics should know what i mean

-cover indentations along the right edge, looks like someone pressed really hard with their thumb on 2 spots along the right edge of the cover, this does not break colour and is very minor

-cover production wrinkles, literally looks like a wrinkle, along the edge of the spine or bottom edge on the cover, does not really break colour although it is quite noticeable in single-colour cover areas, otherwise only noticeable upon careful examination

-single minor non-colour-breaking spine crease (tiny, no more than 1/16th of an inch, almost imperceptible)

i'm just wondering how serious collectors consider these defects to be...which are considered production flaws? which of these automatically bump an otherwise 9.8 book down to 9.6? i'm looking for personal collecting preferences here, not necessarily cgc's opinion

I have noticed more lately myself, especially with the last Ultimate Spider-Man and most recently, all copies (that I've seen) of Superman #204. Still, I've tried to pick the best I could, but it is disturbing.