• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Threadbusters, firestarters, epiphanies and transformations: 2011 reviewed

44 posts in this topic

My epiphany from 2011 is that this can still be a fun and enjoyable hobby without sinking a ton of money into it. After seeing my income drop considerably for two straight years, I was left with absolutely no cash to spend on my hobbies. But rather than that being a negative, it allowed me to get over the reluctance of selling off some duplicates and less-desired books. For the first time ever, my collection actually shrank. But what I’m left with is more enjoyable to me, and I look forward to another year (at least) of this. And since I don’t have to worry about spending time assimilating boxes and boxes of new books into the collection, I’ve had time to go back and enjoy books that I’d bought years ago and just filed away.

My biggest regret from 2011 is changing my user name. If the rules and the powers that be allow it, I might change back to "honky cat" or at least something less "generic".

Overall, I've had a great time hanging out here over the last year. Not that I was ever an active poster, but I've become a little quieter lately (only 20 posts in Gold in December, sheesh). I've been trying to limit myself to posting only when I have something to add to a topic, but I may have overdone it a little. I forgot that sometimes it doesn't hurt to just post a "nice book!" or a "thanks for sharing that."

My epiphany from 2011 is that this can still be a fun and enjoyable hobby without sinking a ton of money into it. After seeing my income drop considerably for two straight years, I was left with absolutely no cash to spend on my hobbies. But rather than that being a negative, it allowed me to get over the reluctance of selling off some duplicates and less-desired books. For the first time ever, my collection actually shrank. But what I’m left with is more enjoyable to me, and I look forward to another year (at least) of this. And since I don’t have to worry about spending time assimilating boxes and boxes of new books into the collection, I’ve had time to go back and enjoy books that I’d bought years ago and just filed away.

My biggest regret from 2011 is changing my user name. If the rules and the powers that be allow it, I might change back to "honky cat" or at least something less "generic".

Overall, I've had a great time hanging out here over the last year. Not that I was ever an active poster, but I've become a little quieter lately (only 20 posts in Gold in December, sheesh). I've been trying to limit myself to posting only when I have something to add to a topic, but I may have overdone it a little. I forgot that sometimes it doesn't hurt to just post a "nice book!" or a "thanks for sharing that."

(thumbs u More from you is always welcome. You are a great addition to the GA section

it allowed me to get over the reluctance of selling off some duplicates and less-desired books. For the first time ever, my collection actually shrank.

:mad: didn't help me with my problem of fitting new books in my boxes one bit though ...

And, yes, I agree, you should post more! :sumo: