• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Threadbusters, firestarters, epiphanies and transformations: 2011 reviewed

44 posts in this topic

2011 was the year Mitch Mehdy took the Gold Forum by storm with his sensationalist rhetoric on comic books (and comic art) as an investment. And in the process kicked up a perfect storm of response and reaction which divided our community betweeen those who roughly speaking saw Mitch as the second coming or the antichrist.

It was the year Billy Parker became Straw Man in a principled stand against censorship regarding racism and comic books during the war years, especially with regard to the pejorative rhetoric and imagery used to depict japanese soldiers on comic book covers. Again our tight little island was divided between those who wished to apply modern, politically correct thinking to erstwhile sensibilities, and those who didnt.

If memory serves, it was Theagenes who served us up a rich diet of photographs from his sojourn in Robert E. Howard's home town.

It was the year of the Super Soldier Collection. I was on the phone long distance to another boardie in San Diego at the instant the convention doors were flung wide, even as the collection went "live" on the Metro web site. The photos generously supplied by David Merryweather and others of the actual convention were among the most pleasurable posts of the year for me.

It was the year in which boardies were asked to say which comic books they most associated with fellow boardies. What followed were posts of some of the most amazing comics, bordering on the unreal at times. But what was if anything even more fascinating for a relative newcomer like myself was the slow reveal of how the forum knows and remembers itself.

It was the year when bangzoom, pcalhoun and (heroically) scrooge kept the flame of erudition alive amidst a plethora of hype about highest graded mega-keys.

And it was the year when, on a more private note, a certain boardie and I vied to see which of us could make the other snort coke zero over the keyboard - preferably through the nose, and involuntarily. Handbags anyone?

So, my humble request - post your musings on the year just past. Recall for us the moments of humour (yes, humour dammit!) and controversy, before we plunge headlong over the cliff into another frenetic year!

What were the most memorable threads, posts and images? Which boardie deserves the no prize for poster of the year?

And beyond this, what do you look forward to in the New Year?

sorry-no-ducks.jpg

2011 was the year Mitch Mehdy took the Gold Forum by storm with his sensationalist rhetoric on comic books (and comic art) as an investment. And in the process kicked up a perfect storm of response and reaction which divided our community betweeen those who roughly speaking saw Mitch as the second coming or the antichrist.

How about those of us who didn`t see him as either, but merely a buffoon?

I agree. For me, he's just annoying. Talking a thousand words to make a point that could be made in a single sentence or two. Making a thread to announce a future thread, then a new thread for the topic itself, then a third thread announcing part two, then a fourth thread for part two, on and on and on. I think the only one who views Mitch as the second coming is Mitch.

I agree. For me, he's just annoying. Talking a thousand words to make a point that could be made in a single sentence or two. Making a thread to announce a future thread, then a new thread for the topic itself, then a third thread announcing part two, then a fourth thread for part two, on and on and on. I think the only one who views Mitch as the second coming is Mitch.

You're probably right!

To me, the Gold forum was more enjoyable in 2011 than in any other year that I can remember. Somehow, the posts that I enjoy the most seem to become less frequent when there is a lot of drama, shouting, or weirdness going on. I stopped posting for a year or two at one point because the stuff I was interested in had all but disappeared.

Based on my own experience here over the past 10 years, one of the trickiest things about the forum is that it's a lot harder to notice who stops posting than who is most vocal. Flame wars and ego trips seem to make the most experienced and knowledgeable members stay away for whatever reasons, and new, inexperienced contributors have no way of noticing that.

My hope is that 2012 will be just as quiet and friendly as 2011. The worst thing that could happen is that unruly newcomers inadvertently create the kind of noise that is deadly to quality that automatically pops up when things are calm.

One of the main reasons any of us frequent the golden age section is to see cool old stuff that we have never seen before. 2011 was another great year in that regard. As always, Bangzoom's thread is the place to go to see and ogle. But tb's Mickey Mouse mags were at the top of the list for me, closely followed by just about anything BOOT posted. eccomic's Canadian Whites were sweet. Moondog's ashcans are always a treat. And the photo's that jpex turns up are so cool. And finally, a great year to all of you who post books. Fun stuff all around (thumbs u

(And 2012 will be even better, if for only one reason...I get to meet alanna!)

Nomination for funniest post - Billy's overhead surveillance camera shot of Mitch's office neighborhood.

You're probably right!

Well, I have a somewhat different perspective of Mitch:

A) Second coming

B) Anti-christ

C) Buffoon

D) None of the above.

I met Mitch at SDCC. My wife and I stayed in San Diego a week after the con and had the opportunity to break bread with him, visit he and his lovely lady at their home, discuss collecting at length, and was gifted a pulp as a departing gift. We've kept in touch on-line and when I contacted him recently he assisted with introductions for negotiating acquisition of one of my grailiest grails when Theo started accepting offers on his ebay site.

So, from my perspective, Mitch isn't the second come-on or anti-anything, much less a buffoon; ...he's a friend. Sure, sometimes he annoys folks, is over the top, and occasionally way off the mark. But when all is said and done, Mitch is great for this board. (thumbs u

Are any of us perfect? Let he who was never stoned kick the first shin. :preach:

2011, year of the Mitch...

IMG_0028.jpg

Me, Mitch and MrBedrock.

IMG_0255.jpg

Mitch displaying the beautiful copy of Daredevil Battles Hitler that I bought from John Verzyl.

IMG_0254.jpg

John Verzyl in the moment, waxing poetic about his long strange journey as a comic collector to Mitch & I while proudly displaying that copy of Daredevil #1.

IMG_0253.jpg

Mitch in an intense discussion with Gator, Bedrock & I (geeks saving the world one comic book at a time).

1ad64209.jpg

And finally, me venting (actually floating on air here) with Schomburg's Human Torch manned-up asbestus I can do.

Oh! And then there is Mitch's other contribution to our collecting vernacular via my new business logo. ...So there! :grin:

One of the main reasons any of us frequent the golden age section is to see cool old stuff that we have never seen before. 2011 was another great year in that regard. As always, Bangzoom's thread is the place to go to see and ogle. But tb's Mickey Mouse mags were at the top of the list for me, closely followed by just about anything BOOT posted. eccomic's Canadian Whites were sweet. Moondog's ashcans are always a treat. And the photo's that jpex turns up are so cool. And finally, a great year to all of you who post books. Fun stuff all around (thumbs u

(And 2012 will be even better, if for only one reason...I get to meet alanna!)

Nomination for funniest post - Billy's overhead surveillance camera shot of Mitch's office neighborhood.

I miss that thread. It was amazing.

Hey, he might be the greatest off the boards, but the question concerned our impressions of the year on the boards.

That's where the photos and anecdotal foo come in. :gossip:

hm Hey, I'm all for sensitivity, but are you really that impressionable? :baiting:

I just know what rubs me the wrong way.

Hey, he might be the greatest off the boards, but the question concerned our impressions of the year on the boards.

Before you criticize someone,

walk a mile in their shoes.

That way

if they get angry

they will be

a mile away

and barefoot.

I did dimly begin to see that who he is in person might not quite be the Mitch as he presented himself on the boards - but it took a while. And I have no issue with anyone who is prepared to stand up in defense of a friend. Pace DavidMerryweather.

But his presentation on the boards almost killed my enthusiasm for the forum. So in that sense, for me, he became the antichrist - and if that seems overblown hyperbole, what other proportionate response does he leave us? If sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, of what is bombast the lowest form? Rhetoric perhaps?

There are men and women on these boards for whom I have developed enormous respect and in whose shoes I would gladly walk - and it has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of their collections, awesome though many of these are.

I prize above everything the grace that comes with generosity of spirit and I could list a dozen names of people here in this regard. But I cannot think of a single individual other than Mitch who introduced themselves as having answers the rest of you hadnt thought of. Bombast commingled with solipsism is hardly a heady mix - indeed, it sucks the air out of the room, the life out of the forum, because it leaves no room for anyone else's view!

That's where the photos and anecdotal foo come in. :gossip:

hm Hey, I'm all for sensitivity, but are you really that impressionable? :baiting:

I just know what rubs me the wrong way.

Ah, you just need a trial membership to Massage Envy, or maybe... :blush:

:jokealert:

I enjoyed getting to know more GA collectors in the last year and kind of finding my niche in what I wanted to collect. After making the decision to jettison my silver and bronze habit and convert almost totally to golden age books, I've been more satisfied with my collection and more excited to open the goodie boxes when they show up at my door. I've enjoyed the 'oohs' and 'ahhs' of other people's collections and still marvel at the books people like MrBedrock and adamstrange post on a regular basis. I'm not always a chatty fellow in real life or on the boards but I enjoyed getting to meet some of the boardies at conventions.

As far as Mitch goes, I kinda collect for myself and don't really get into the hyperbole that his threads entail so I don't generally even open them. I prefer the threads where people show the great books they have (or had) and offer some knowledge or background on what the collect.

I don't understand why Mitch would be mentioned. He didn't post any covers.

He didn't provide any data. He didn't tell any new stories.

He did own a pretty nice copy of Action 1 at one time. I once owned a mint copy of Amazing Fantasy 15, Spiderman 1, X-men 1, etc. I sold them a long time ago and so did Mitch, probably. Go back to general and leave the golden age forum to collectors.

Before you criticize someone,

walk a mile in their shoes.

That way

if they get angry

they will be

a mile away

and barefoot.

I did dimly begin to see that who he is in person might not quite be the Mitch as he presented himself on the boards - but it took a while. And I have no issue with anyone who is prepared to stand up in defense of a friend. Pace DavidMerryweather.

But his presentation on the boards almost killed my enthusiasm for the forum. So in that sense, for me, he became the antichrist - and if that seems overblown hyperbole, what other proportionate response does he leave us? If sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, of what is bombast the lowest form? Rhetoric perhaps?

There are men and women on these boards for whom I have developed enormous respect and in whose shoes I would gladly walk - and it has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of their collections, awesome though many of these are.

I prize above everything the grace that comes with generosity of spirit and I could list a dozen names of people here in this regard. But I cannot think of a single individual other than Mitch who introduced themselves as having answers the rest of you hadnt thought of. Bombast commingled with solipsism is hardly a heady mix - indeed, it sucks the air out of the room, the life out of the forum, because it leaves no room for anyone else's view!

hm An interesting and intelligently presented perspective, but may politely offer an alternative POV?

Of course the last thing anyone would want is a legion of board expatriots seeking solace elsewhere, but I look at Mitch's posts as more of a catalyst to keeping this board lively. Mitch never takes offense at folks poking fun at him or saying some pretty darned offensive things in some cases. Yes, his rhetoric is confrontational, but that's because he loves the challenge. He doesn't create controversy out of spite, but rather to get spirited argument.

Friendly combat is the nature of Mitch's game, and when motivated he's a very astute player. I'm sure that he'd rather acquire friends here than foes or foils, but try looking at it from Mitch's position of being both a newbie here and long time collector at the same time. After all, he's done what he claims and has been active in the fan community in one capacity or another for generations. His presentation was awkward and his spelling atrocious, but when challenged to present evidence he complied even when more folks piled on.

One has to wonder how many General Forum junkies had their interest in GA fueled by Mitch's revving up the rhetoric on this forum? New collectors are the lifeblood of every every hobby and Mitch's enthusiasm, and yes, even his bravado is an asset in moderation. I use the in moderation caveat because it's the mixture of views that make these discussions inspiring and informational.

Of course I don't know much about walking in anyone else's shoes as everyone's mileage varies and athlete's foot does nothing for the collective itch or soothing the sole. :kidaround: