• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was this from Mark Wilson's find in the mid 90's?

59 posts in this topic

the one where he found a batch of ultrahigrade

cap 100, IM /sub1, hulk 100, nick fury 1 etc

he mad multiples of each and graded them "gem mint"

it was in one of his catalogs

Sounds pretty much like the 3-D Batman book from 1966 where Wilson was able to find an unopened case of 20 or 30 copies. (thumbs u

I found an unopened case of the Batman 3-Ds and brought them to the Chicago Con in (I think) 1988. I sold Joe Desris the carton! He already had a copy and the display merchandiser, but needed the carton because it had a Batman logo on it!

I just dont get it. Maybe its because im not a millionaire, but why would you spend 70K on a common non key book that says ''9.9'' When a 9.8 looks the same and is probably about 69K less??????

$60k less- same question applies.

Must be because they are label collectors! :flamed:

Can't be true comic book collectors in the traditional sense, because it would be irrational to pay this kind of a price difference for a 9.9 copy of a book, when it could just as easily come back as a 9.8 or possibly even as a 9.6 if resubmitted. :tonofbricks:

I just dont get it. Maybe its because im not a millionaire, but why would you spend 70K on a common non key book that says ''9.9'' When a 9.8 looks the same and is probably about 69K less??????

$60k less- same question applies.

Must be because they are label collectors! :flamed:

:golfclap:

IMSM #1 in 9.8 is part of my want list but I see it as a 4k book at best... asking prices for dubious 9.9s are just :screwy:

The book belongs to the guy over at PristineComcs (ebay seller HighGradeMagicCards)

He recently sold 1 of his Iron Man #1 9.9

He cleaned up on the IM#1.

Guy still has IM #1 9.9 registered to him... (tsk)

Agreed - how does a book get a 9.9 grade with that big arsed ding on the upper left corner and what looks to be chipping on the right?

RADA5705201214_174259.jpg

The ULHC ding and the LRHC fold over are most likely SCS that occured post-slabbing. Not really sure what to say about the apparent chipping.

I don't know, but I am absolutely thrilled with the correct use of capital and small letters and punctuation in your thread title. Outstanding!

And I must add, since I was a vocal critic, a much more refined quantity and style of starting new threads. Well done.

it's a shining example of how this board's well-intentioned snarkiness and group-led goading can produce positive results

the one where he found a batch of ultrahigrade

cap 100, IM /sub1, hulk 100, nick fury 1 etc

he mad multiples of each and graded them "gem mint"

it was in one of his catalogs

If I remember correctly from the conventions in the Portland area in the late 70's to early 80's, several dealers had stacks of these issues that they'd bought on spec. I know that is where I got my copies.

I did pick up a NMish ASM 14 from Mark Wilson in the later portion of that era for about $40 :luhv:

Agreed - how does a book get a 9.9 grade with that big arsed ding on the upper left corner and what looks to be chipping on the right?

The ULHC ding and the LRHC fold over are most likely SCS that occured post-slabbing. Not really sure what to say about the apparent chipping.

So then, in this example, one could say that the CGC grade is not work squat. If the book was damaged due to movement in the case -- or if chipping suddenly began to appear after the slabbing, its not a 9.9 no more!

Then again, perhaps Mr Wilson received a "soft" grade for "some reason"...hm.

Another great illustration of the flaws in the CGC process.

Perhaps CGC books need to have an expiration date and some verbiage that states that the grade listed may not be accurate after MM/DD/YYYY.

So then, in this example, one could say that the CGC grade is not work squat. If the book was damaged due to movement in the case -- or if chipping suddenly began to appear after the slabbing, its not a 9.9 no more!

Perhaps CGC books need to have an expiration date and some verbiage that states that the grade listed may not be accurate after MM/DD/YYYY.

Or, it's possible that grading from a scan is not as accurate as holding a book in your hand.

Which is people buy CGC graded comics, right?

Or, it's possible that grading from a scan is not as accurate as holding a book in your hand.

Which is people buy CGC graded comics, right?

The main reason for encapsulating a book is an attempt to preserve its condition and after its been graded. Right?

CGC should provide the option of being able to indefinitely house the slab in their own special storage facility. This way, once slabbed, the book would be in a climate controlled safe environment with little chance of being damaged post-slabbing - thus always preserving the condition of the book.

If you want to sell the book, you have the option of CGC mailing it to the buyer (nah, too risky...) OR simply transferring the ownership (lot or id number) to the buyer - similar to gold certificates.

Look, you can’t open the book and flip through it if its slabbed -- so why not take it one step further and not have the book in hand at all! If you want to see the book, you login to CGC's website and view a 3D panoramic scan.

I don’t know why I am giving away this idea for free...I should charge a consulting fee!

To be fair to the limitations of a scan --- Tales to Astonish and Daredevil, in particular, always seemed, during this period, to be trimmed at the worst time of factory production. The blades always seemed to leave striations down the right hand side of the books -- dull or misaligned blades? Perhaps this book was on the same schedule as TTA.

To be fair to the limitations of a scan --- Tales to Astonish and Daredevil, in particular, always seemed, during this period, to be trimmed at the worst time of factory production. The blades always seemed to leave striations down the right hand side of the books -- dull or misaligned blades? Perhaps this book was on the same schedule as TTA.

didnt this book come out right after the TTA series?

That's right. Captain America #100, Incredible Hulk #102 and Iron Man & Submariner #1 were all released in January 1968 with April cover dates.

The Hulk was a continuation of TTA but there's no telling how the production schedule was affected by the additional title.

If only they had Captain America and the Hulk.

Of the four character spinoffs, anyone know the order of popularity? My intuitive guess would be iron man and cap (they already had a title), then Iron Man and Hulk, which makes me wonder why they paired sub-mariner with IM.

Thoughts?

CGC should provide the option of being able to indefinitely house the slab in their own special storage facility. This way, once slabbed, the book would be in a climate controlled safe environment with little chance of being damaged post-slabbing - thus always preserving the condition of the book.

If you want to sell the book, you have the option of CGC mailing it to the buyer (nah, too risky...) OR simply transferring the ownership (lot or id number) to the buyer - similar to gold certificates.

I'm sure there's legal and insurance issues that someone else will detail - I think that's a cool idea. Especially with shipping. I mean, if you plunk down $100k on a comic book, do you actually ship it?