• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was this from Mark Wilson's find in the mid 90's?

59 posts in this topic

Agreed - how does a book get a 9.9 grade with that big arsed ding on the upper left corner and what looks to be chipping on the right?

RADA5705201214_174259.jpg

The ULHC ding and the LRHC fold over are most likely SCS that occured post-slabbing. Not really sure what to say about the apparent chipping.

So then, in this example, one could say that the CGC grade is not work squat. If the book was damaged due to movement in the case -- or if chipping suddenly began to appear after the slabbing, its not a 9.9 no more!

Then again, perhaps Mr Wilson received a "soft" grade for "some reason"...hm.

Another great illustration of the flaws in the CGC process.

Perhaps CGC books need to have an expiration date and some verbiage that states that the grade listed may not be accurate after MM/DD/YYYY.

Or, it's possible that grading from a scan is not as accurate as holding a book in your hand.

Which is people buy CGC graded comics, right?

The main reason for encapsulating a book is an attempt to preserve its condition and after its been graded. Right?

CGC should provide the option of being able to indefinitely house the slab in their own special storage facility. This way, once slabbed, the book would be in a climate controlled safe environment with little chance of being damaged post-slabbing - thus always preserving the condition of the book.

If you want to sell the book, you have the option of CGC mailing it to the buyer (nah, too risky...) OR simply transferring the ownership (lot or id number) to the buyer - similar to gold certificates.

Look, you can’t open the book and flip through it if its slabbed -- so why not take it one step further and not have the book in hand at all! If you want to see the book, you login to CGC's website and view a 3D panoramic scan.

I don’t know why I am giving away this idea for free...I should charge a consulting fee!

The main reason for encapsulating is not to preserve its condition (though clearly the slab must protect a book against handling and storage damage too; you can damage a book in a holder simply by shaking it though it's a bit more difficult to damage a book now than originally). The reason it's encapsulated is to certify that this particular book was this particular grade at the time of the grading/encapsulation.

CGC should provide the option of being able to indefinitely house the slab in their own special storage facility. This way, once slabbed, the book would be in a climate controlled safe environment with little chance of being damaged post-slabbing - thus always preserving the condition of the book.

If you want to sell the book, you have the option of CGC mailing it to the buyer (nah, too risky...) OR simply transferring the ownership (lot or id number) to the buyer - similar to gold certificates.

I'm sure there's legal and insurance issues that someone else will detail - I think that's a cool idea. Especially with shipping. I mean, if you plunk down $100k on a comic book, do you actually ship it?

$100K+ books get shipped all the time.

The main reason for encapsulating is not to preserve its condition (though clearly the slab must protect a book against handling and storage damage too; you can damage a book in a holder simply by shaking it though it's a bit more difficult to damage a book now than originally). The reason it's encapsulated is to certify that this particular book was this particular grade at the time of the grading/encapsulation.

(thumbs u

I'm sure there's legal and insurance issues that someone else will detail - I think that's a cool idea. Especially with shipping. I mean, if you plunk down $100k on a comic book, do you actually ship it?

This is pretty much one of the silliest and craziest ideas I have ever seen on the boards! :screwy:

If I spend $100K on a comic book, I would most definitely want to have the actual book in hand. Why in the world would I want to pay $100K so that somebody else can hold onto the book for me and never even be able to see or hold onto it. doh!

If I spend $100K on a comic book, I would most definitely want to have the actual book in hand. Why in the world would I want to pay $100K so that somebody else can hold onto the book for me and never even be able to see or hold onto it. doh!

I agree.

And yet... you already can't actually touch it, because it's slabbed. You can only really see the front and back covers. Chances are you're not going to be handling a $100k book much anyway. Probably in a safe somewhere, or elsewhere secure and out of sight, usually. You might look at the scan far more often than you look at the book itself.

I do agree with you, it's not for me either, but in an era in which $100k+ books are not uncommon, I could definitely see CGC offering such a service. Perhaps in association with a bank or private museum

(I don't know anything about this, but surely there are such services available in the fine art world...?)

It's not a terrible idea. Plenty of people buy books for the purpose of investing, although most of those are not slabbing the books themselves but rather purchasing them already encapsulated.

This is pretty much one of the silliest and craziest ideas I have ever seen on the boards! :screwy:

One could say the same thing about reading the book. Why in the world would I pay $100K or even $100 for a comic that I could not really hold in my hand, open and enjoy the story & art? For the CGC collector, Isnt it all about HAVING the book - not nessisarily being able to touch the book? Having the book in your personal posession is really a risk, no?

Not having the encapsulated book in hand at all is just the logical next step...

Although if u send it in for a reholder they won't even regrade it. They will just put it in a new slab with a new 9.9. That was Gemma response and when I questioned how this could be due to many conditions that can change a grade the post was not allowed. Another important reason to by the book and not the grade.

This comic book is a shining example of stuff no one wanted back in the day, even in higher grade,

and every local comic book store had copies sitting in their boxes for years on end. No one would

touch them as no one wanted them. Not surprising there are high grade copies floating around.

Most went unsold and unread. I price the book around a few hundred dollars myself.

Although if u send it in for a reholder they won't even regrade it. They will just put it in a new slab with a new 9.9. That was Gemma response and when I questioned how this could be due to many conditions that can change a grade the post was not allowed. Another important reason to by the book and not the grade.

:popcorn:

This is to remind everyone that CGC is a business - first and foremost -- and not the grading police. They don't give a hoot if a 9.2 is sitting in a 9.9 slab as long as you pay the reholder fee. Although, maybe they should discontinue replacing the holder without charging for a re-grading, if it starts to taint their rep.

This is to remind everyone that CGC is a business - first and foremost -- and not the grading police. They don't give a hoot if a 9.2 is sitting in a 9.9 slab as long as you pay the reholder fee. Although, maybe they should discontinue replacing the holder without charging for a re-grading, if it starts to taint their rep.

My understanding is different.

A reholder will get regarded only if cgc determines that the slab has incurred sufficient damage to possibly cause damage to the comic.

This is what the website says:

"Reholder service is for a chipped, scratched or cracked holder that has not been opened or had its seals broken. We will place your comic in a new holder. NOTE: All Reholder submissions are subject to review for tampering and accuracy of grade. Mail-in submissions only."

http://www.cgccomics.com/services/services_and_fees.asp