• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comicpalooza - Houston, Tx. - May 25-27 - It's a big deal, really!

15 posts in this topic

Over 10,000 fans are expected to gather May 25 – 27, 2012 for Comicpalooza, the comic con for Houston, Texas. Now in its fourth year, Comicpalooza has been doubling in size each year, propelled by a talented guest list that includes Howard Chaykin, Shane Davis, Tyler Kirkham, Dave Johnson, Eric Basaldua, Andrew Robinson, Joe Lansdale, Ben Templesmith, Thom Zahler, legendary sci-fi novelist Larry Niven, and celebrities such as Christopher Judge (Stargate SG-1), Kristin Bauer (True Blood), Kevin Sorbo (Hercules, Andromeda), Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca, Star Wars), and Richard Hatch (Battlestar Galactica). Additional guests will be announced on February 11. Comicpalooza supports the comics industry with numerous panels, how-to sessions, alliances with art organizations and museums, a variety of other programming, and promotions with participating publishers. Our promotional campaign will begin both regional and national elements in March.

Sponsors for this year include the Greater Houston Convention and Visitors Bureau, McDonalds, the Museum of Fine Arts Houston, Bedrock City Comic Company, FUNimation, and Skirmisher Games. Visit us at www.comicpalooza.com

2012 Comicpalooza Update,

like next weekend... :o

THEE 2012 Houston Comicpalooza Official Website

2012 Houston Comicpalooza - The Texas International ComicCon

THEE 2012 Houston Comicpalooza Official Program

in PDF format, print it off !

2012 Houston Comicpalooza Official Program

I'll be roaming around all day Friday and Saturday.

Introduce yourself !

Just got home. No pics. I bought comics from six of the dealers who had booths there. I got a photo of George Takei signed for my mother. There were plenty of steampunk and Brony panels. Howard Chaykin cancelled his panel on graphic art in narrative, because he wanted it to be a paid workshop, only for the serious, so when he found out it hadn't been set up that way, he just didn't do it.

Timothy Zahn and Larry Niven's panel on creating alien cultures was good, but occasionally drowned out by the better-attended Stargate panel separated only by a couple of black fabric "walls." Claire Hamilton and Sami Inoue-Harte's panels on voice acting were lots of fun. I went to all three.

I didn't attend any Joe Kubert panels, but I did shake his hand. Weird Paper let me hold a few of his raw Church Targets. Harley Yee's Action 5 is beautiful. I bought Jughead 31 from some tall guy, but only because he looked so sad standing around in his booth.

Don't know nothin' 'bout parties and dinners. To anyone who attended the con, I apologize for the cherry juice on the floor. First convention was fun and slightly addictive.

As much as I beat the drum, and love this show, some other things in

life take precedent. Bobbie ponied up for the weekend passes for $100 and

we had planned to be there off and on thru the weekend.

Thursday night we got a call from a very close friend who has been distraught

since his wife has passed away and his own health has been sliding.

Our friend "attempted" to take his own life. Some things never make sense

to me.

As much as I beat the drum, and love this show, some other things in

life take precedent. Bobbie ponied up for the weekend passes for $100 and

we had planned to be there off and on thru the weekend.

Thursday night we got a call from a very close friend who has been distraught

since his wife has passed away and his own health has been sliding.

Our friend "attempted" to take his own life. Some things never make sense

to me.

Very sorry to hear that. Throw some love their way.

I would like to thank the other vendors for their advice. Harley, 8th Dimension and of course Mr. Bedrock. Thank you (thumbs u

I gotta say I was pretty darn impressed with the show this year. The promoters fixed all of last year's problems with the show layout and the idiotic dealers room aisle set up. This years version was very professional, roomy, and easy to get around. And the crowd was tremendous. A ton of happy folks.

One of the weird things about we Houstonians is our incredible proclivity towards procrastination. We are laid back and cool in the face of pressure. For that reason we never make big decisions until the last minute. As a result Sunday was by far the best day for sales. In fact I sold more stuff on Sunday than on Friday and Saturday combined. And that's without any deep discounting! It happens every year at this show. It never happens anywhere else that I've ever set up. A proud Houston tradition!

Depending on how the scheduling shakes out next year between Dallas and Comicpalooza I would really like to check this show out...

Dallas had Black Cat and Duncanville Books

Houston had Harley Yee and Weird Paper.

I think there were actually more vintage books in Houston, though more comics overall in Dallas.

The Comicpalooza folks have already contracted for the same weekend next year and they plan on expanding the number of dealer booths.

Depending on how the scheduling shakes out next year between Dallas and Comicpalooza I would really like to check this show out...

I think there were actually more vintage books in Houston, though more comics overall in Dallas.

The Comicpalooza folks have already contracted for the same weekend next year and they plan on expanding the number of dealer booths.

hm

It sounded like there were more vintage dealers in Houston, which is what makes the show so tempting. The issue is more one of logistics for me, as Dallas is 6ish hours away and Houston is more like 9. I'm more disappointed that the show that drew 20,000 in Dallas didn't get more vintage dealers, but glad that at least one more Texas show looks to be gaining traction for vintage material.