• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where do the dealers come up with their prices ???

115 posts in this topic

Man, the forums must be getting slow if everyone has to jump all over the "why don't dealers price at eBay levels" thread. It all boils down to it's their book they can do what they want..if you don't want to buy their books..don't whine about it. They don't come into your office and say "hey, this junk you're trying to sell me is overpriced..change it now, I saw it on eBay for a fraction of this price".

Brian

Well, I'll answer - and first, I must give a few caveats:

1) I'm not in the same SPORT, let alone league, as Blazingbob. I sell lots of mid-grade books, but nothing like the high grade stuff he does

2) I do NOT have a great deal of $ sunk into books - I mostly sell on consignment, so its not my cash that is being lost. That being said, there are certain levels I won't go below.

3) The only books I have an "emotional attachment" to are my 30 cent variants (the whole set) and a couple 9.8 Fantastic Fours that are my pathetic attempt to recover my misbegotten youth. Everything else is just colored paper.

4) I do NOT set up at shows any more, so therefore my travel costs are zero. I wouldn't mind setting up at a show near DC to offload some quarter books, but it isn't a big deal. Dealers like Bob and Superworld and Metropolis and others MUST factor in their travel costs when looking to price books.

That being said:

1) I sell almost all my stuff on eBay and, 90% of the time, start the bid at $5 for raw books. I do make exceptions for some things - this Action 167, for example. If something sells for less than "Guide", the person "wins". If over, great.

2) I do, however, make adjustments for what it will cost to get another one - I'm not going to list any more Daredevil 181s for $5, because it will now cost me $15 to get them. I'm in this to make a profit. If something costs me $15 to purchase, I'm going to have to sell it for $25.

3) For CGC books, I use the "multiplier" that is published every week in the Comics Buyer's Guide. It may not be perfect, but it is a very good starting point. I think 9.4 books are now selling at 4X guide, according to that multiplier.

Hope this helps.

I

I will share with you what was shared with me - I am not in business to make you money. I've never stated that I am the cheapest dealer in America. I happen to live in one of the more expensive parts of the country with a very competitive dealer community not more than 3 hours in all directions. Ever compete against Metropolis, ShowCase New England, Joe Vernault of JHV Associates, Harley Yee when trying to buy a deal!

I price books for what I feel I can sell them for.

I price "certain" books that are scarce or high in demand.

I have stated before and will state it again, I will price a book and see if I've found the ceiling. I was one of the first dealers to sell a Hulk #181 9.4 for $700, at the time that was scandalous, now am I Stupid?

I price certain books based on the fact that they are soooo ****** dead that no one even collects them.

And feel free to buy all of my VG+ - VF stuff you want which is one reason why high grade is sooo expensive.

Thank you! That was all I was asking for. I at least have an understanding of where you're coming from other than "because I can". You never know, you may have something in the future that's right in my price range. smile.gif

Best,

Jim

Everyone always talks about multiples of guide for 9.4's - why is the guide price still what it is? Why doesn't the next guide reflect what the market price is unless multiples of guide are not what the market price is. Case in point - I am an X-men collector and I had a hard time finding the early reprint issues in 9.4's or better. Usually they list for $40 to $50 but I would end up paying 2 to 3 times that for CGC'd 9.4s and some unslabbed. I know from my dealing that most people find that the same thing I did. Is Overstreet leery because sellers would now just sell for multiples of the true market price? Most of the time I rarely see something move more then 25% up in gude price.

I know the Overstreet is just a guide but the the prices are determined mostly from advisor input ( or so I think.) If an advisor knows that something is selling consistently for twice guide, why is not the guide price changed. Maybe somebody can enlighten me on this?

Overstreet is usually a little slow updating their prices till enough sales over a decent period indicate a trend rather than fluke sales. With CGC causing pricing on high grade to be as violatile as it ever has been I dont expect Overstreet to be too accurate anytime in the future. Right now books are selling for what the market will bear. Will it last or even heat up more who knows?

This link has been very entertaining to say the least. In defense of BlazingBob and other dealers they dont have to explain their business to anyone. If you dont like their prices check with other smaller dealers who may have less overhead and expenses or who simply may not have the capital to hold onto books till just the right cutomer comes along. The comic business is very expensive period. Ever price putting ads in Overstreet, CBG, Wizard etc. It costs money and you may not get any calls for books or get any calls with collections to buy out of it.

Shows cost a damned lot of $ too. A small booth at a Wizard show will cost you $750 add gas, food, hotel for 4-5 days(you have to stay somewhere while driving to the show) A large dealer with a double booth may have $2500 tied up just in space and getting to the show not counting what the goods he sells cost him. Add in shows that bomb to the mix and it can get really ugly.

I'm as cost concious as the next guy and bargain shop both at shows and on Ebay but I dont [!@#%^&^] about prices. I dont like it I simply walk away and usually will make a mental note about that particular dealer. If that dealer continues to price his stock at more than what I think is fair I wont bother wasting his or my time.

Why does anyone owe you an explanation of why they're selling a comic for a certain price? If you feel it's overpriced, then don't buy it.

I have many books I don't plan on selling, but probably would if the price was right. If the current value is only $100 but someone wants to pay me $200, I'd think twice before deciding not to sell it.

. I dont like it I simply walk away and usually will make a mental note about that particular dealer. If that dealer continues to price his stock at more than what I think is fair I wont bother wasting his or my time

That was one of my main points in earlier posts.

And if a particular DC collector made a mental note not to check me out you would have missed out on the following books that have sold in the last 2 days.

Action #252 CGC 9.0 offwhite pages - Where is another one for sale?

Adventure #260 CGC 9.0 Offwhite pages

Flash #105 CGC 9.2 Cream to offwhite pages, Gee only $15-20,000 less than PCE's 9.2 copy

Justice League #1 9.2 Offwhite pages One of 3, only 2 other 9.2's, no 9.4's.

Our Army at War #81 8.5 Highest grade copy