• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Austin -- October 26-28, 2012

129 posts in this topic

hey guys i'm planning on driving up from houston for the con. i was looking at the VIP pass for $199.99. i've never been to this con before and was wondering if anyone knew what the • CGC 9.8 (Random) meant.

Do we get a free submission? They just give you a random slab?

Also, of all the batman guys going to Austin. who would you get a batman sketch from (other than neal adams)?

During the heyday of the wizard shows (when their name was out front) they used to do VIP packs that included cgc 9.8 books. Either a wizard con variant or some other hot books. The 9.8 random is some random leftover book from that era.

I wouldn't do the VIP pass unless you are into the celeb stuff. The book isn't worth it. If you want to do a submission you are better off to spend that $100 on a cgc membership and get 3.

cool. thanks for the info. i might just go on saturday then. where are yall planning on going out for drinks? mexi marts at trudy's perchance????

trudy's is between my house and the con, so that's cool with me. I tend to like to be near the con though, if i can.

Cedar Door is a good spot close the con. Anything is good for me, honestly -- as long as it isn't too far south.

I should be able to do Fri or Sat.

Fogo's is right next door to the convention center, and there is plenty of other stuff nearby if there is to be a board dinner. I'd totally be in for Saturday. I may creep into the tail end of Friday, but we're driving down that day and I can't be sure when we'll get into town.

I think Dale is going.

Probably not....but still under review

That would suck. This show could really use a good number of quality dealers. What about Bedrock City and High Grade?

I'll be there.

Bedrock comes to all the Texas shows (and I always buy from him) and High Grade and Dale were both there last year. Dale, why are you on the fence?

Several reasons, but the main reason is that I am extremely busy in October, including a vacation to Florida at the first of the month, and NYCC in the middle of the month. Plus stuff with my kids for Halloween. The market is okay I guess, but not good enough to justify a 15 hour drive each way, given everything else I have going on that month. Also, the guest list seems to be focused mainly on celebrities instead of comics.

I may try it again next year, or after, but I don't think this year is in the cards. November works much better for me.

Bedrock comes to all the Texas shows (and I always buy from him) and High Grade and Dale were both there last year. Dale, why are you on the fence?

Several reasons, but the main reason is that I am extremely busy in October, including a vacation to Florida at the first of the month, and NYCC in the middle of the month. Plus stuff with my kids for Halloween. The market is okay I guess, but not good enough to justify a 15 hour drive each way, given everything else I have going on that month. Also, the guest list seems to be focused mainly on celebrities instead of comics.

I may try it again next year, or after, but I don't think this year is in the cards. November works much better for me.

Makes perfect sense!

I think Dale is going.

Probably not....but still under review

That would suck. This show could really use a good number of quality dealers. What about Bedrock City and High Grade?

I'll be there.

:headbang:

I just bought my tix -- with svc fees a 3 day is $70!

Wasn't it like $50 last year?

If they just used that extra $ to bring in more celebs and it's still limited programming, concrete floors, etc. then I might actually pass or just do 1 day next year even though it's a local show.

Hopefully that extra money = a bigger and better show.

Hey Everyone -

I took a look at the CGC website and the Austin WW site - seems there will be on-site grading and a good assortment of artists (Rob Guillory, Nick Pitarra).

What are the chances of someone going to this helping out a guy from/near Chicago?

-- Dave

I doubt that it will be onsite grading. They will accept submissions in Austin, like they have done the past 2 years, but that doesn't mean that they will be graded onsite. So it makes it easy to get SS books done in person (you just need to stop by the CGC booth to get a witness first), but don't expect to get your yellow label beauties back that weekend unless they changed this from years past.

If you'll be attending and have label errors this is also the place to drop them off to be fixed without having to pay shipping. I have had to do this the past two years, unfortunately, and this year will be no different...

Less than 3 weeks away! :banana:

We're not ready to set up this year but we will be going to buy and possibly get some sig's for CGC SS.

Who are you guys hitting up? doesnt look like many greats this time around

I'm gonna try for neal adams

josh howard

Bill Tucci

and Bernie

anyone else i should hit up for sig's?

We're not ready to set up this year but we will be going to buy and possibly get some sig's for CGC SS.

Who are you guys hitting up? doesnt look like many greats this time around

I'm gonna try for neal adams

josh howard

Bill Tucci

and Bernie

anyone else i should hit up for sig's?

Is the cost the same for sig's

Or do they all charge differently ?