• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Austin -- October 26-28, 2012

129 posts in this topic

Made a last second decision to drive up there today. I'll be in a white broncos cap, and the lady has a sweater with a chicken on it. If you see us say hi.

Us -

2976A99C-55A3-410F-9DE6-F15796252D51-2296-000001546C763DBF.jpg

didnt know u where still collecting??

good luck & have fun.

rich.

Oh snap is that Richard? Pm coming your way.

Got to walk the floor for about an hour. Got two secret warriors signed and sketched by Cheung and subbed for ss. My brother got four books signed and sketched for ss, so it was productive! Saw bedrock and found out not a lot of "comic dealers" at the show. Saw leather bag/purse dealer, incense dealer, lots of t-shirt dealers, a booth for a haunted house, and a bunch of other "non-comic" booths. I really thought I was paying money to go to a comic show, but it seems it is a flea market with a slight comic book spin.

Me and Mysterio met up with Mr. & Mrs. Buffyfan for dinner and great conversation. Good to see you again!

Got to walk the floor for about an hour. Got two secret warriors signed and sketched by Cheung and subbed for ss. My brother got four books signed and sketched for ss, so it was productive! Saw bedrock and found out not a lot of "comic dealers" at the show. Saw leather bag/purse dealer, incense dealer, lots of t-shirt dealers, a booth for a haunted house, and a bunch of other "non-comic" booths. I really thought I was paying money to go to a comic show, but it seems it is a flea market with a slight comic book spin.

Me and Mysterio met up with Mr. & Mrs. Buffyfan for dinner and great conversation. Good to see you again!

I was there today and you are right! Not many comic book booths at the show. Pretty disappointing, but I was happy with the artist alley

Less than 24 hours to go :banana:

See Jeff at booth 941

One of the reasons I am going. Been wanting some my life's and halfbacks but have been to lazy to get them shipped.

You know they sell them at Austin books so you don't have to wait for a con or have them shipped. I think they are about the same price too. I get 100 mylites and full backs for about $25.

I'll be there this afternoon, then heading to dinner with friends. I'll be in a grey batman sdcc shirt. Will definitely hit bedrock and bob storms booths. I assume black cat and duncanville books are also there. What about worldwide? I think they are based in Dallas aren't they?

Also will hit artists alley. Taking blanks.

If you see me say hi.

Yeah, Black Cat and Duncanville are here. Worldwide doesn't seem to be here (not on dealer list) which is really unfortunate. It seems like there are fewer dealers than the past 2 shows, but then I didn't get out of artist alley for the hour we were there last night. We'll see how the show looks today.

After going to the Dallas show, and now so far with Austin, I am really wondering what the show promoters are thinking, or if this is the "state of the hobby." I'm really getting tired of the sword dealers, knife dealers, purse dealers, incense dealers, "substitute anything but comic" dealers that are filling up these shows. Is it because there are no dealers who want to come? Or is it that wizard will just take anyone on a first come first served basis? I'm originally from Chicago, and with the Chicago con, if you did last years show, you had dibs on your space for the next year. There was a significant list to get in as many many dealers wanted to be on that floor. Now that the shows have gone over to wizard, it seems that they will let any and all manner of dealer into the show even if it has nothing to do with comics, or pop culture. Were these b or c list dealers called in the last minute to fill booths for half of booth fees? I just don't see the logic of an incense dealer wanting to pay $1000 booth fee to sell sticks of incense at a quarter each or whatever.....

Sorry, done with my rantrant

Adding to it.....

One whole booth was 4 tupperwares full of loose Legos. That can't be a $1000 booth. Plus, what does that have to do with comics? Bob Storms, Bedrock, Black Cat, duncanville, all had nice stuff, other than that, not much in the room at all. Tons and tons of costumes.

It's never a good sign for the show to open and discussion in the thread turns into where to eat. But that is the kind of show this has been, sadly.

So true. I'm thoroughly unimpressed with this one. I did get to talk to sajad for a good 10 min. He's awesome. Same with pitarra and eisma. I hope the trekkies loved it

After going to the Dallas show, and now so far with Austin, I am really wondering what the show promoters are thinking, or if this is the "state of the hobby." I'm really getting tired of the sword dealers, knife dealers, purse dealers, incense dealers, "substitute anything but comic" dealers that are filling up these shows. Is it because there are no dealers who want to come? Or is it that wizard will just take anyone on a first come first served basis? I'm originally from Chicago, and with the Chicago con, if you did last years show, you had dibs on your space for the next year. There was a significant list to get in as many many dealers wanted to be on that floor. Now that the shows have gone over to wizard, it seems that they will let any and all manner of dealer into the show even if it has nothing to do with comics, or pop culture. Were these b or c list dealers called in the last minute to fill booths for half of booth fees? I just don't see the logic of an incense dealer wanting to pay $1000 booth fee to sell sticks of incense at a quarter each or whatever.....

Sorry, done with my rantrant

Adding to it.....

One whole booth was 4 tupperwares full of loose Legos. That can't be a $1000 booth. Plus, what does that have to do with comics? Bob Storms, Bedrock, Black Cat, duncanville, all had nice stuff, other than that, not much in the room at all. Tons and tons of costumes.

I was there and I had fun... I do wish there were alot more comic related celebrities but ah well. As far as conventions getting away from comic books I still felt there was a solid selection of comic book related booths. Wizard World looks to be branding themselves more as a Pop Culture Convention and judging from the turn out the public seems to like it. Many conventions... even SDCC are moving towards that end. So long as there is a solid comic book representation I am happy. Besides I rarely go to conventions to purchase comics.. With the internet and these boards I am pretty much covered on that spectrum.

As far as the booth with all the loose legos goes.. big hit with the little kids and he was charging 3.00 per lego figure... mathematically he was going to easily make up the difference in cost.

Adding to it.....

Yeah the Lego guys were at Dallas too and someone had a similar set up at SDCC. The kids love it though.

I guess I'm finally getting to my old man "get off my lawn" moment with comic shows. I just remember waiting a whole year and saving to have just a crazy good weekend at he Chicago comicon. When shows fall short of that mark, I get disappointed. I do think the comic con is moving away from comics and more to a very broad "pop culture" type convention. As far as shopping, I do shop here and on the web, but I do love to find books in person, and the thrill of looking for books is the whole reason I go to shows. I just don't understand the finances behind some of these booths. I saw incense, minerals, a booth that just made id type badges, how are these places making their booth fee, plus hotels, food, ect back? And are there not comic dealers who would like to do this show? It just makes me think that wizard is not even close to selling out dealer space, and they just scrambled to get anything in to fill booths. I had a good time (mostly watching my brother get stuff), but didn't get what I was looking for from my $100 plus entry fee.

I guess I'm finally getting to my old man "get off my lawn" moment with comic shows. I just remember waiting a whole year and saving to have just a crazy good weekend at he Chicago comicon. When shows fall short of that mark, I get disappointed. I do think the comic con is moving away from comics and more to a very broad "pop culture" type convention. As far as shopping, I do shop here and on the web, but I do love to find books in person, and the thrill of looking for books is the whole reason I go to shows. I just don't understand the finances behind some of these booths. I saw incense, minerals, a booth that just made id type badges, how are these places making their booth fee, plus hotels, food, ect back? And are there not comic dealers who would like to do this show? It just makes me think that wizard is not even close to selling out dealer space, and they just scrambled to get anything in to fill booths. I had a good time (mostly watching my brother get stuff), but didn't get what I was looking for from my $100 plus entry fee.

I attribute the Insence, Leather Bag, minerals booths etc to it being Austin. There is a large demand for that kind of stuff here. Its that whole "Keep Austin Weird" culture. They are most likely local dealers so no hotel fee etc.. But yeah not even remotely related to pop culture and more like local culture and it is hard to believe they turned a profit selling that stuff but who knows. I need to swing back there today to pick up my Walking Dead 1 variant comission. I want to ask the leggo guy how his business was over the weekend.