• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Austin -- October 26-28, 2012

129 posts in this topic

I was there for about 90 min yesterday. Got some Archies from Bedrock and some Adventure Comics from Bob. Also grabbed a t-shirt for my toddler from Stylin Online. Then headed to dinner with Friends. Going back this morning for a quick tour with my 3 year old -- probably not much buying then.

I'll be back this afternoon on my own to do some final buying and take a look at Artists Alley.

Looked all over for Anthony Snyder yesterday, but seems he didn't show. His website still says he will be there too. Was hoping to be able to see at least one art dealer.

I was there for about 90 min yesterday. Got some Archies from Bedrock and some Adventure Comics from Bob. Also grabbed a t-shirt for my toddler from Stylin Online. Then headed to dinner with Friends. Going back this morning for a quick tour with my 3 year old -- probably not much buying then.

I'll be back this afternoon on my own to do some final buying and take a look at Artists Alley.

Looked all over for Anthony Snyder yesterday, but seems he didn't show. His website still says he will be there too. Was hoping to be able to see at least one art dealer.

Anthony is at Chiller theatre con in New Jersey.

I have heard that Austin was super crowded, look forward to coming back next year

After going to the Dallas show, and now so far with Austin, I am really wondering what the show promoters are thinking, or if this is the "state of the hobby." I'm really getting tired of the sword dealers, knife dealers, purse dealers, incense dealers, "substitute anything but comic" dealers that are filling up these shows. Is it because there are no dealers who want to come? Or is it that wizard will just take anyone on a first come first served basis? I'm originally from Chicago, and with the Chicago con, if you did last years show, you had dibs on your space for the next year. There was a significant list to get in as many many dealers wanted to be on that floor. Now that the shows have gone over to wizard, it seems that they will let any and all manner of dealer into the show even if it has nothing to do with comics, or pop culture. Were these b or c list dealers called in the last minute to fill booths for half of booth fees? I just don't see the logic of an incense dealer wanting to pay $1000 booth fee to sell sticks of incense at a quarter each or whatever.....

Sorry, done with my rantrant

Adding to it.....

One whole booth was 4 tupperwares full of loose Legos. That can't be a $1000 booth. Plus, what does that have to do with comics? Bob Storms, Bedrock, Black Cat, duncanville, all had nice stuff, other than that, not much in the room at all. Tons and tons of costumes.

This is exactly the kind of thing that made me refuse to attend any show promoted by Wizard. Between the dwindling focus on comics and the ever increasing admission I have no interest whatsoever in going to one of their events.

I went there for Friday and Saturday only because I got my passes for free from a friend but if I had to pay for this show I would skip it all together. On a side note tho I saw buffyfan, hotfilps, and bedrock which was pretty cool. Also got to chill with Rob Guillory and get a sketch from him and my wife got to hang out with Norman Reedus and Sean Patrick Flannery for a few mins which made her day.

Just back in, luckily I had probably the shortest drive of anyone at the show! 20 minutes tops.

While it was a good show for me, it being in my backyard with minimal expenses, there's no doubt for anyone traveling that Wizard has some work to do. Wizard, if you're going to call it comic-con, please bring some more bigger names that draw crowds. If Ben Stevens up in Dallas is handing you your , then you need to step up. Not to take away from the creators that did attend, but if you shell out and bring in premier and in-demand creators your "comic-con" fans are going to bring it.

Had a good time chatting with hotflips, beachbum, mr. bedrock and several others. I got to hang with Boyd at Black Cat Comics the whole weekend sinus infection and all! Richard also gave me a very interesting perspective on my Houston trips to Northside Book Emporium on Tidwell...

I had a fantastic time and loved seeing most of the costumes, but especially the Adventure Time cosplay since that's my favorite cartoon in the world.

I got a bunch of sketch covers done, especially digging the 3 from Josh Howard and 2 from Mike Miller-will post once I get them uploaded.

Not a lot for me comic wise sadly, I was fortunate to have bought a few early single # walking deads from an attendee! I'm wondering if having the show the weekend that people celebrate Halloween is the best idea?

CGC folks, thanks for coming down-apologies for making you wait while the last sketch cover was finishing up, only to be....a little different than what I was expecting.

I think I got you beat on shortest trip kolmaravenue - Sunday morning was about 12 min tops. :)

Took my 3 year old yesterday morning and we did the scavenger hunt. She got some prizes, we saw the floor and she had fun. Good on wizard for doing something like that. Even a couple of the media guests participated and were very gracious and sweet with the little ones.

Went back in the afternoon for the last 90 min or so of the show. Spent most of that time buying books from duncanville.

Because of a big work trip and family commitments I only spent about 3-4 total hours shopping at the show. From that perspective it was my worst wizard show since I started attending 6 or 7 years ago in Arlington.

The thing is I feel like I spent quality time with every dealer I wanted to hit and got some good books in just 3-4 hrs. No art this year though and that makes me a little sad. Just not enough up front time to set it up.