• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Meeting Chris Bachalo

23 posts in this topic

I wanted to post something special to me for my 1000th post - a personal comics related story from the end of last year...

While browsing ebay for original art at the end of October 2011, I saw a Chris Bachalo auction that had a unique description about how he was traveling to Illinois and had some time free to meet up with fans. I am a huge fan of his and had always wanted to meet Chris, but thought it would probably never happen since he doesn't do many cons. My heart skipped a beat and I got all giddy like a little school girl after the wife said yes and I emailed Chris. Lo and behold I got a reply right away that it would work out and immediately began trying to figure out what to get Chris to sketch for me and what books to bring to have him sign!!

We met at the hotel Chris and his family were staying at on a Friday morning in early November (after a few cups of coffee to keep me awake for our 2 hour drive to get there). It turns out he was in town for a hockey tournament for his son. For the next hour plus, we talked about anything and everything from comics (obviously) to movies/TV and family, what winter in Wisconsin is like and how to survive being trapped in a blizzard, and had the pleasure of watching a master at work. I won't bore everyone with details of our conversation (though none of it was boring to us). Chris is a true gentleman and one of the all around nicest creators that I've had the pleasure of meeting in this hobby! It was an amazing experience and something very different from what the usual fan gets to do and way different from seeing a pro quickly at a con. I still walked away with a stack of signed books and my wife got a Death sketch in her Absolute Death HC, but getting to know Chris a bit was incredible! We got so busy chatting that Chris got distracted from his work and wasn't at all happy with what he was able to get done, so he asked it he could take it home and really put some detail into the sketch. I figured it might be a while until, it was done, but he went home and literally finished it the day after their trip!

Needless to say, I was stunned when I saw the scan Chris sent! Thanks go to Mr. Bachalo for making our day and giving us a much needed pick me up at the end of a very hard year for us. :cloud9:

Here's a color photo of the front:

BachaloWolvie.jpg

Here's a scan of the wraparound:

WOLVYMATSCHULL.jpg

Now I'm just hoping that his son turns out to be a hockey all star and gets a shot at playing for the Badgers here so Chris will visit periodically and we can hang out again sometime! :wishluck:

That's a beautiful sketch and a great story.

The best part is, you'll have that memory forever.

Congrats!!!

One of my favorite boardies (including his wife!) and one of my favorite artists!

So great to read this story and looking forward to seeing you both this con season!

Thank you sir - same to you! We'll definitely be at C2E2 and Wizard Chicago, maybe Heroes this year too...

Wife says "hi" by the way, she got a kick out of reading all the comments too!

Awesome story and congrats on the wonderful experience!

Mr. Bachalo truly is one of the nicest in the industries (thumbs u

I hope this doesn't come across as a hijack to this thread but I figured I'd add on to mamatsch's post with a little story of my own.

Back in 2009 we were fortunate enough to have Chris attend the Fan Expo. Being a long time fan of Chris's work I emailed him as soon as I found out he would be attending in hopes of prearranging a sketch or commission. Chris emailed me back and proposed that rather than doing a sketch in advance, that we could arrange for a meet and greet instead. I was thrilled to say the very least and jumped on the opportunity to hang out with one of my favorite artists. At the time Chris was penciling the Amazing Spider-Man and I absolutely loved how he was constructing his pages with his art bleeding right out of the panels and across the pages; truly an aesthetic masterpiece. Not to mention his versions of Venom and Anti-Venom :cloud9:

I met Chris at the convention during a period of time where he did not have to attend any panels or schedule signings and we managed to find a nice quite corner just outside of the main convention floor. We snagged a table and a couple of chairs and sat down and started to chat. Very similar to mamatsch's experience, Chris and I chatted for the next hour or so about comics, movies, sports and everything in between. At the time his son was into golfing rather than hockey :grin:

Ultimately Chris was able to sign some books for me, including one of my all time favorite Uncanny X-Men covers, as well as do a sketch or two. It was among one of the coolest experiences I've had with a comic creator to date.

And if you don't believe me, just ask Arjuna (spideyfan88), he was there to take the picture:

IMG_4041.jpg

uncannyx-men468doublesigned.jpg

*Hands the mic back to mamatsch*