• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay - ok. I'm shocked. What do I do?

115 posts in this topic

There really is no problem here.

1. Politely reply back saying this:

Hey,

Sorry you are unhappy with your purchase.

If you go back and read my auction it never gives the impression his was a CGC graded comic book as you can even tell by the scan is a "raw" book. The numerical grading system has been around for many years and many dealers use as such when they personally assign a grade. However since you are unhappy please return the book to me for a full refund.

thanks,

(Your name here)

2. Of course what I would say (would not recommend though): ;)

Hey,

I see from your babbling email you obviously are a complete insufficiently_thoughtful_person. How can you confuse this auction with a CGC graded book. In no way can this auction in any shape or form be misunderstood. Just from the clear scan alone you can see it is a raw or ungraded CGC book. People like you are killing the USA economy with your beyond terrible education level. Please return the book to me for a full refund because I think you might need the $18.00 because your welfare check may not completely cover how ungodly stupid you are,

thanks,

SOT

3. If you go with #1 they probably will not leave you a negative, and if they do you can call eBay and 100% get it removed

4. If you go with #2 they probably will leave you a negative, but you will feel better about yourself.

I kid I kid, but not really

lol I went with something in between #1 and #2. Will ebay remove negative feedback if it's obvious the dude is a toolbag?

Only chance that eBay will remove feedback is if he posts personal information or is vulgar. :sorry:

doh!

For the sake of $17.95 I'd offer a full refund and block him from bidding again. Do everything through ebay's messaging system so you have a record of being prepared to make 'amends' - even though you really don't have to.

(thumbs u

Would it be a bad idea to state something in my auctions along the lines of:

"If people often consider you to be stupid, please look elsewhere. I'm certain that there are sellers who will deal with your dullness and take your money, but I do not have time for you. Thanks!"

I always laugh when I read about sellers that go out of their way to avoid a negative knowing that they are getting scammed. I have had a couple of instances where people tried scamming me after receiving their item.

They lost. lol I should start a thread...

Case in point was that one guy bought a CGC comic off of me years ago and then about two weeks after he received it he decided that he disagreed with CGC' rating and wanted a full rating. He threatened negative feedback and filed a claim with paypal. He lost.

While doing my research I learned that the address I had shipped it to was that of a comic book store. I imagine that his buyer did not want it anymore and he wanted me to take it back.

I'm to the point now that if someone asks me a question where it is clear that they don't know what they are bidding on, or what grades mean, or I even slightly suspect they will try to be difficult or trip my Spider sense in any way, I just block them straightaway even before they have bid or bought. There are hundreds of millions of people on eBay to choose from, so having a few dozen known or suspected problem children blocked won't reduce my buyer pool much and will save me headaches.

I'm to the point now that if someone asks me a question where it is clear that they don't know what they are bidding on, or what grades mean, or I even slightly suspect they will try to be difficult or trip my Spider sense in any way, I just block them straightaway even before they have bid or bought. There are hundreds of millions of people on eBay to choose from, so having a few dozen known or suspected problem children blocked won't reduce my buyer pool much and will save me headaches.

Werd.

Werd.

Nice to see I am not the only one who does this. :)

Me too if they scream problem they are blocked. Sometimes I even tell them that. You scream problem so I have no intention of doing business with you and block them. Its just not worth the headache. Ebay doesnt protect the seller at all so I take all the steps I can to protect myself.

I have to add though that there are many times in which eBay does help the seller.

Last year I sold an item that the buyer was unhappy with. I shrugged and offered a full refund and to even pay their portion of the shipping considering how cheap it was to send the item.

The buyer refused. They refused to send the item back. They wanted me to refund half the money as well as let them keep the item. That my friends is balls.

I refused. They filed a complaint with eBay. Then they left negative feedback. I called eBay (what you do is call paypal and then they transfer you over to eBay.)

To this day I can only speculate as to what happened but no money was returned, the item was never returned and the negative feedback was removed from my profile about a week after receiving it.

I have to add though that there are many times in which eBay does help the seller. Last year I sold an item that the buyer was unhappy with. I shrugged and offered a full refund and to even pay their portion of the shipping considering how cheap it was to send the item. The buyer refused. They refused to send the item back. They wanted me to refund half the money as well as let them keep the item. That my friends is balls.

I am familiar with a buyer in Arizona who made a habit of doing this on a regular basis. He would squeeze sellers for money/refunds and then keep the comics. Or he'd even do a SNAD report and eBay would end up letting him keep the comics -- even if eBay ruled in the seller's favor, so in other words, eBay would eat the cost of the refund.

I have to add though that there are many times in which eBay does help the seller. Last year I sold an item that the buyer was unhappy with. I shrugged and offered a full refund and to even pay their portion of the shipping considering how cheap it was to send the item. The buyer refused. They refused to send the item back. They wanted me to refund half the money as well as let them keep the item. That my friends is balls.

I am familiar with a buyer in Arizona who made a habit of doing this on a regular basis. He would squeeze sellers for money/refunds and then keep the comics. Or he'd even do a SNAD report and eBay would end up letting him keep the comics -- even if eBay ruled in the seller's favor, so in other words, eBay would eat the cost of the refund.

I was thankful that eBay supported me on that one. Person was a scammer and eBay recognized it.

By the way... the trick is getting an eBay representative on the phone. Like I said, the method for that is calling paypal first. Then they say that is an eBay matter and they transfer you immediately to a representative.

I am going to post my first CGC comment!

On the original subject:

Background: I have collected graded cards, coins, and comics for years. I have been a member of ebay since its inception. I have bought and sold on ebay. I have viewed this auction.

That being said, this buyer thought that he was getting a steal, he was expecting to get a low ball price on a cgc comic because the seller failed to put CGC in the title. He probably saw the title line with a few minutes left and instantly bid on it thinking that he was getting to the seller.

We, speaking as a buyer, know that it costs about $16.00 for the grading and slabbing of a book (not counting shipping, cost of book, etc.). The buyer thought he was taking advantage of you. So take the negative feedback, respond to it with the appropriate response; keep the money. (The second negative will be easier to take).

If another buyer wants a book you have, they will not care about the feedback.

Supply and demand; Due diligence; and Buyer Beware. (But keep his money - he knew what he was doing!).

So take the negative feedback, respond to it with the appropriate response; keep the money. (The second negative will be easier to take).

Supply and demand; Due diligence; and Buyer Beware. (But keep his money - he knew what he was doing!).

Chances are quite good that if the buyer decides to push this far enough the seller will not only get the negative but will also have the pleasure of a forced refund through Paypal. If he is lucky it will only freeze his account for a few days, maybe a few weeks. There is no choice about whether or not to issue a refund if eBay decides that one needs to be given.

Ebay is a little like dealing with a back-alley criminal. You never know if they're going to take your money, you never know when the cops will come knocking, and most of the time - if you hear nothing at all, it feels like you've gotten away with something.

I generally try to difuse the situation the 2 or 3 times someone has started off the exchange aggresively..."No problem, just return the book for a full refund. I thought the description was pretty clear that this wasn't a CGC comic, but I can see how someone might get confused [if they are brain damaged].