• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who collects date stamps?

27 posts in this topic

I have thought about trying for ones on my birthday. Would love to have them from my birth year 1975 but I was born on a sunday. Oct 26 if anyone has any. I have also thought about getting the books that were put out in oct 75 just for fun.

Curious as how many people collect books with date stamps.

If there is a preference between hand written pencil and rubber stamped ink dates?

Also is there a data base as to tell you which week and month specific books came out.

I thought it would be cool to try and nail some books with important dates on them.

I think inked date stamps are awesome, it gives the book personality

Does anyone know what the oldest date stamp on a book is? - I can't recall seeing any from before the 1950s.

I recall a while back that West posted the earliest GA book he had seen a date stamp on . . . but of course, I forget. :grin:

Years ago when I was a teenager, I had a Showcase 22 with a handwritten date that was in a few days of the day I was born ( I forget the exact date), which I thought was pretty cool. My impression is that from the 50s through the 70s comics arrived in most stores on Tues and Thurs, so I imagine if one was born on a different day back then, finding stamps for that day might be hard.

Well, there was a lot of variation - some stores would stamp the arrival date, and other stores would stamp the 30-day return date. It was done by the vendor, for the vendor - not by the distributor. So your day limitation theory doesn't necessarily hold up. Also we might get books in on a Tuesday, but not get them stamped and shelved before Wednesday depending on how busy the store was with other things.

Does anyone know what the oldest date stamp on a book is? - I can't recall seeing any from before the 1950s.

I recall a while back that West posted the earliest GA book he had seen a date stamp on . . . but of course, I forget. :grin:

Years ago when I was a teenager, I had a Showcase 22 with a handwritten date that was in a few days of the day I was born ( I forget the exact date), which I thought was pretty cool. My impression is that from the 50s through the 70s comics arrived in most stores on Tues and Thurs, so I imagine if one was born on a different day back then, finding stamps for that day might be hard.

Well, there was a lot of variation - some stores would stamp the arrival date, and other stores would stamp the 30-day return date. It was done by the vendor, for the vendor - not by the distributor. So your day limitation theory doesn't necessarily hold up. Also we might get books in on a Tuesday, but not get them stamped and shelved before Wednesday depending on how busy the store was with other things.

True, but I'm guessing most stamped comics were stamped on arrival day. Potentially, any date is possible, but I still think the farther away from arrival day, the harder it is to find the stamp. Of course, it would be pretty easy to create a date stamp with any date on it if one desired.

I'd love to find comic with Oct. 10 1961 stamped on it.

Being that it fell on a Tuesday might just make it more likely to find one too. I guess we'll have to see.

Honestly, before this thread, I'd never given it much thought before, but now this has stimulated my interest in tracking one down.