• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shattered dreams!

77 posts in this topic

I know many of you feel my pain - the disappointment of being absolutely convinced that you have a perfect book, only to find that the CGC disagrees. You dream of the moonshot - obtaining the elusive 9.9 mint or 10.0 gem mint grade. Instead, you're actually pretty much CRUSHED that your book came back as a 9.8.

I mean, after all, you took a look under magnification and detected nothing. All corners were razor sharp. Colors were bright and supple. The book lay flat. Not the slightest sign of stress anywhere on the book. Perfectly preserved staples.

How could you GET any more perfect? I wonder...what did the graders see that I have missed? I realize they are the professionals and I am not, but

I know that the CGC used to discuss graders' notes over the phone, but I've heard they've ceased the practice. Is this true? I know I am a newbie to the boards, but I'm polite enough to seach the board for answers to general questions before asking. Please realize I've found nothing but conflicting information. What's the scoop?

I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I call the CGC asking.

I wish the customer had more access to the distinguishing factors between a 9.8 and a 9.9 as well as information regarding the next step up to a "gem" grade.

I know that playing with raw books is a roll of the dice, but I seem to keep losing. If I hand-select a copy from a sealed box straight from a distributor...send it off for submission...and it returns as a 9.8...then I give up.

Packaging was secure and meticulous, I guarantee it.

I guess I wouldn't be as baffled if I could clearly detect the difference in a 9.8 and a 9.9. I am the owner of a Spawn #1 9.9 and it actually looks more like a 9.8 than my Cable #1. So it just kind of makes me wonder...what is the deal?

In the end, I know I'm just whining about something that is clearly an ART with a heavy dose of subjectivity. I just hope you guys can feel my pain in losing from time to time. It's kind of like playing the stock market, in a way.

I just had to blow off some steam, so thanks for listening. I lost hundreds of dollars because I obviously suck at grading.

I've also had people tell me that the CGC shows favoritism to customers who submit massive (in the hundreds or even thousands) of books for submission every month. People complain that the whole "anonymous barcode" process is simply a fairy-tale selling point. My question is this...who is watching the CGC to make sure they are really doing things the way they say they are doing them? Are customers allowed to tour the facility during operating hours?

These thoughts have me worried. Could my beloved book have faced better chances had a heavy roller cast the dice instead of a little guy?

With so much mystery behind the company, I'm beggining to question my blind faith in what I think is ultimately a great thing for our hobby.

Oh well...I'm certain to be disappointed by my next measely submission of 14 moderns. Wish me luck people. I could use some fortune!

...and thanks for listening to me complain and moan...but I think that my feelings in words can speak for many people reading the boards. :)

So after breaking this down I get that

You want to actually speak to the graders. :popcorn:

Your asking if CGC shows favoritism to customers who submit massive comics to get slabbed? hm

Your asking if the whole "anonymous barcode" process is simply a fairy-tale selling point? hm

Your asking who is watching the CGC to make sure they are really doing things the way they say they are doing them? hm

Your asking why so much mystery behind the company? hm

and a big welcome from me after reading about your complaining and moaning. ;)

I'm by no means a grammar expert but those yours are killing me CC lol. You're**

I am writing to my audience. Condensed for the twitter crowd. :)

your is considered better than you`re for speed reading on the mobile phone.

Different rules apply now than what you learned in your 6th grade english grammar class in 1972. :baiting:

I know many of you feel my pain - the disappointment of being absolutely convinced that you have a perfect book, only to find that the CGC disagrees. You dream of the moonshot - obtaining the elusive 9.9 mint or 10.0 gem mint grade. Instead, you're actually pretty much CRUSHED that your book came back as a 9.8.

I mean, after all, you took a look under magnification and detected nothing. All corners were razor sharp. Colors were bright and supple. The book lay flat. Not the slightest sign of stress anywhere on the book. Perfectly preserved staples.

How could you GET any more perfect? I wonder...what did the graders see that I have missed? I realize they are the professionals and I am not, but

I know that the CGC used to discuss graders' notes over the phone, but I've heard they've ceased the practice. Is this true? I know I am a newbie to the boards, but I'm polite enough to seach the board for answers to general questions before asking. Please realize I've found nothing but conflicting information. What's the scoop?

I wish the customer had more access to the distinguishing factors between a 9.8 and a 9.9 as well as information regarding the next step up to a "gem" grade.

I know that playing with raw books is a roll of the dice, but I seem to keep losing. If I hand-select a copy from a sealed box straight from a distributor...send it off for submission...and it returns as a 9.8...then I give up.

I guess I wouldn't be as baffled if I could clearly detect the difference in a 9.8 and a 9.9. I am the owner of a Spawn #1 9.9 and it actually looks more like a 9.8 than my Cable #1. So it just kind of makes me wonder...what is the deal?

In the end, I know I'm just whining about something that is clearly an ART with a heavy dose of subjectivity. I just hope you guys can feel my pain in losing from time to time. It's kind of like playing the stock market, in a way.

I just had to blow off some steam, so thanks for listening. I lost hundreds of dollars because I obviously suck at grading.

I've also had people tell me that the CGC shows favoritism to customers who submit massive (in the hundreds or even thousands) of books for submission every month. People complain that the whole "anonymous barcode" process is simply a fairy-tale selling point. My question is this...who is watching the CGC to make sure they are really doing things the way they say they are doing them? Are customers allowed to tour the facility during operating hours?

These thoughts have me worried. Could my beloved book have faced better chances had a heavy roller cast the dice instead of a little guy?

With so much mystery behind the company, I'm beggining to question my blind faith in what I think is ultimately a great thing for our hobby.

Oh well...I'm certain to be disappointed by my next measely submission of 14 moderns. Wish me luck people. I could use some fortune!

...and thanks for listening to me complain and moan...but I think that my feelings in words can speak for many people reading the boards. :)

Your asking if CGC shows favoritism to customers who submit massive comics to get slabbed? hm

Your asking if the whole "anonymous barcode" process is simply a fairy-tale selling point? hm

Your asking who is watching the CGC to make sure they are really doing things the way they say they are doing them? hm

I'm by no means a grammar expert but those yours are killing me CC lol. You're**

Different rules apply now than what you learned in your 6th grade english grammar class in 1972. :baiting:

BrighterBazinga.gif

BrighterBazinga.gif

+1 ;)

Ur stil 2 slo

How could you GET any more perfect? I wonder...what did the graders see that I have missed? I realize they are the professionals and I am not, but I am definitely interested in speaking with the graders.

I refuse to believe this is real. You must be a shill. Or for $10,000.00 per session beachbum can teach you the art of cherry picking sweet books. Average sessions needed are 5-10 and each session lasts 30 minutes. I get a 10% cut of this due to setting the sessions up.

Seriously. 9.9's and 10.0?? Buy up Locke and Key books you will get a few.

I think joe_collector had the right idea. 9.9s and 10s are purposefully kept rare for a number of reasons
Yea, but it is the same as loose and tight grading trends. It keeps submissions pouring in. If you get a harshly graded book you resub, if they are grading loose you submit more.

I think joe_collector had the right idea. 9.9s and 10s are purposefully kept rare for a number of reasons

Well, duh. Thank you Captain Obvious and side kick, Conspicuous Lad.

read between the lines, General Dismissive

Well, duh. Thank you Captain Obvious and side kick, Conspicuous Lad.

read between the lines, General Dismissive

No.