• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Confidential airing tonight

12 posts in this topic

Most of you grizzled comic lovers have probably already seen this, but I thought I'd throw it up here for those who haven't.

There's a very good documentary called "Comic Book Confidential" airing at 6PM EST tonight on the Ovation cable network. It's a pretty interesting piece for the comic collector and definitely worth a viewing. Enjoy.

I love the clip from the '50's when the kid answers the question "How do you feel after reading comics?" with "I feel sick."

If it was audio only, I might've thought it was from the 90's :grin:

Most of you grizzled comic lovers have probably already seen this, but I thought I'd throw it up here for those who haven't.

There's a very good documentary called "Comic Book Confidential" airing at 6PM EST tonight on the Ovation cable network. It's a pretty interesting piece for the comic collector and definitely worth a viewing. Enjoy.

I love the clip from the '50's when the kid answers the question "How do you feel after reading comics?" with "I feel sick."

Everytime I watch one of these documentries on the history of comic books they are always the same, and they always end with Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen being groundbreaking.

They ended around 1986. So what are they telling people?

That nothing has happened in the history of comic books since the 1980s. hm

Everytime I watch one of these documentries on the history of comic books they are always the same, and they always end with Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen being groundbreaking.

No disrespect to your comment... but this was initially released in 1988

Ovation channel?

Found it! :whee:

Yep... Ovation. I would guess not every cable provider might carry it. It certainly wouldn't land on many peoples' "Favorite Channel" list's, but you catch something interesting once in a while.

Well, In the Secret Origin:The History of DC Comics, they discuss Kingdom Come.

I watched this on Netflix a little while ago and enjoyed it... by the end I was getting a little tired of them focusing so much time on some of the underground indies, but i still really liked it. It's worth the price of admission just to see Frank Miller looking like a hippie. :)

I watched this on Netflix a little while ago and enjoyed it... by the end I was getting a little tired of them focusing so much time on some of the underground indies, but i still really liked it. It's worth the price of admission just to see Frank Miller looking like a hippie. :)

Indeed, and some of the underground "talents" in the second half of the doc that got more screen time than the Atom and Silver Ages combined really were peripheral to the medium. The doc betrays the era in which it was made, in that it goes straight from the GA to the 80s, ignoring the years in between. Superfluous and insubstantial stuff.

Indeed, and some of the underground "talents" in the second half of the doc that got more screen time than the Atom and Silver Ages combined really were peripheral to the medium. The doc betrays the era in which it was made, in that it goes straight from the GA to the 80s, ignoring the years in between. Superfluous and insubstantial stuff.

Right! Too much indie and 80s,not enough G.A. through Bronze. :eyeroll:

No disrespect to your comment... but this was initially released in 1988

This was more of my general opinion of comic book documentaries then signaling out Comic Book Confidential. They usually start out with how Superman and Batman came on the scene, then go to EC Comics and how Fredric Wertham almost destroyed the comic book industry until Stan Lee`s revolution with Marvel saved the comic book industry which allowed for the making of mature for adults Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns comics. Basically if you seen one of these kind of documentaries you seen them all.

(thumbs u