• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why did this SPIDER-MAN story appear in MARVEL SUPER-HEROES #14???

6 posts in this topic

t-msh14.jpg

I wonder why MARVEL just didn't print this story in the regular ASM. I know about something to do with Romita hurt himself at the time but was able to draw the regular ASM issue afterall. This story was the backup just in case it was needed. So why waste this Spider-Man story in MARVEL SUPER-HEROES? Any idea? Its a pretty good story drawn by Ross Andru that I don't hear much about. Even from most SPIDER-MAN collectors. Kind of a forgotten Spidey story that nobody seems to bring up. Has it ever been reprinted? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I've always been curious how this issue sold,compared to the two Captain Marvels that preceeded it,and the Medusa isue that folowed. It doesn't seem any easier to get these days than the others.

I think its kind of undervalued,but I'm prejudiced as it is a book I'm hoarding.Luv the 25 cent books from this era!

According to the blurb on the 1st page, John Romita sprained his wrist, and they weren't sure if he could complete his issue. They quickly commissioned this replacement story, but then Romita ended up being able to complete his story after all. Since a fill-in issue was no longer needed, they had this story lying around. They could have simply used it as a fill-in latter on, if needed, but they decided to make it the lead story in MSH. It was published in 1968, about the same time as ASM 55 or 56 (the Doc Ock saga).

My copy isn't in the greatest shape (about VG+), but I paid less than $5 for it...

According to the blurb on the 1st page, John Romita sprained his wrist, and they weren't sure if he could complete his issue.

Which may or may not have actually been the case.

I know Stan loved to use Romita as his 'fill-in/touch-up' artist extraordinare & he abused Romita so much that Romita could hardly complete his regular assignments. Stan was constantly harping on Romita to 'be faster!' To which Romita would say, "Quit giving me all these other assignments so I can finish my own!"

John may have been under a dealine gun & Stan commishioned out a story in haste or to get ahead of the deadline curve only to have it fall between the cracks for whatever reason & when a story opened up in MSH, viola! The story was pulled from the files & dropped in. Plus, a Spidey tale may have helped jump sales up a bit on the title... if that was anyone's goal.