• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Upon further review...Batman movie..

62 posts in this topic

Damn! I can't get that music out of my head!!

Sorry about that. If it's any consolation, I've been singing the damn song all day since I posted it. crazy.gif

Do any of you know if they have released a DVD

with all the trimmings yet for this 80's classic?

I am not aware of one, but that doesn't mean it isn't out there. I have looked for this on DVD at Blocbuster and Best Buy, but have yet to find it. confused-smiley-013.gif

My rankings:

Superman 8/10 (Classic comic book movie making)

Superman 2 8.5/10 (Scored higher if Donner had been able to finish it; battle scene in New York one of the best EVER)

Superman 3 3/10 (Just ugh; Superman is NOT camp)

Superman 4 2/10 (Double ugh)

Batman 8/10 (see Superman)

Batman 2 6.5/10 (if they had just Batman vs. Catwoman, then it would have been better)

Batman Forever 5/10 (Carrey was good , but way over the top -- again, the movie didn't need TwoFace)

Batman & Robin 5.5/10 (Silverstone as Batgirl , ugh)

Spider-Man 7.5/10 (First hour received a 10, second hour not so good)

X-Men 8.5/10 (Classic movie - made me enjoy seeing comics on screen again; kind of convoluted plot)

X-Men 2 9/10 (A little better because time not spent on introducing characters)

Daredevil 8/10 (I thought may be could have been fleshed out a lil' more ,but great style & battle scenes)

Blade 8.5/10 (great movie!)

Blade 2 4.5/10 (ugh, esp after good first one; I hope Blade: Trinity is better)

Hulk 7/10 (I did not have problem with pacing; got used to it after awhile; would have received an 7.5 if Absorbing Man idea was cut)

Spawn 7/10 (great visuals)

LOEG 6/10 (ok story)

Flash Gordon 7/10 (one of greatest unintended camp movies of all time!)

Just to warn you, Blade is pretty violent (a lot of blood & chopping & stuff like that) - It's a vampire movie. Wesley Snipes was made for that role. I only found out later that it was a comic book.

PLEASE PLEASE don't see Blade 2. gossip.gif

Just to warn you, Blade is pretty violent (a lot of blood & chopping & stuff like that) - It's a vampire movie. Wesley Snipes was made for that role. I only found out later that it was a comic book.

Blood, Gore, Carnage come one you're talking to the devil here.

Beside Kill Bill one was one of my favs and that's as gory as it gets!!

You and I almost see eye to eye in the rankings.

I haven't seen Blade nor read any of his comics, it is that good eh?

If so I might have to give it a try.

The first Blade has one of the best opening sequences in an action movie EVER!!!!

Great soundtrack to boot. thumbsup2.gif

Ok smile.gif I just don't to send a person in blind. It's not as bloody as KB I... is anything? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Blood, Gore, Carnage come one you're talking to the devil here.

Beside Kill Bill one was one of my favs and that's as gory as it gets!!

You and I almost see eye to eye in the rankings.

I haven't seen Blade nor read any of his comics, it is that good eh?

If so I might have to give it a try.

The first Blade has one of the best opening sequences in an action movie EVER!!!!

Great soundtrack to boot. thumbsup2.gif

I have to agree, because of that it belongs up there with the best.

I'm not sure how my opinion will be recieved, this being my first post, but like someone said earlier in this thread, everyone has an opinion so I thought that I would share mine.

I think Batman 1 was a great movie. Tim Burton took the legend that is Batman and ran with it. Burton was not trying to "stay true" to the comic book Batman of the time. Burton, as with all of his movies, used his own vision of what Batman was to make this movie. I believe Burton may have been exactly the right director for the first batman movie. As others have mentioned in this thread, when this movie was released, Super Hero movies were not well recieved by the general public (with the exception of Superman 1 and 2). If another director had made a "stay true" to the comic movie, I don't think that it would have been near as good as Burton's was.

As to some of the points others have made:

Casting:

Michael Keaton as Batman/Bruce Wayne - I have to admit this was a bit of a stretch, however Keaton pulled this roll off very well considering his physical differences from what everyone thought Bruce/Batman should look like. Bruce Wayne is a little crazy and imbalanced (don't you have to be to dress up like a bat and fight crime?) and Keaton acting as Bruce Wayne was definitely strange. I thought Keaton did well while in costume. He kicked major bad guy booty and I will never forget the scene early in the movie when he catches those thives on the roof. He snatches one guy off the ground.

thief: *scared as heck and dangling by his collar* What are you!?!?!?!?!?!

Keaton: *Snatches the thief face to face* I'm Batman.....

American movie clasic scene in my book.

Jack Nicholson as the Joker - I don't think you could have, or ever will find somebody who fits this roll better, Tim Burton movie or not. The Joker is the craziest homicidal lunatic in any comic universe, and who better to play this part than Nicholson? Nicholson was everything I have ever envisioned the Joker character to be. He was a certified raving madman with the wierdest sense of humor ever. Nicholson took this movie from so-so to the blockbuster that it turned out to be.

I'm going to stop now because I've written for more than I intended although I could go on and on on this subject.

Thanks for your time,

-bill

I'll comment on the ones I've seen.

SuperGirl 7/10 it is unintentionally funny! It's so bad, it's ok. Faye Dunaway played one of the most over the top characters -- Where was Superman when you needed 'em??? smile.gif

Howard The Duck 3.5/10 A woman being attracted to a duck? We won't go there.

Shadow 5/10 Came too soon after Batman. Copycat movie.

Rocketeer 6.5/10 Remember it being good but forgettable

How about TRACY?? acclaim.gif 6.5/10 Great use of color in that film, but Warren Beatty and Madonna can't really act.

These movie we left out need grading too...

Supergirl the Movie.

Howard the Duck movie.

Captain America

Rocketeer

Phantom

Shadow

Steel

Swamp Thing

Michael Keaton as Batman/Bruce Wayne - I have to admit this was a bit of a stretch, however Keaton pulled this roll off very well considering his physical differences from what everyone thought Bruce/Batman should look like. Bruce Wayne is a little crazy and imbalanced (don't you have to be to dress up like a bat and fight crime?) and Keaton acting as Bruce Wayne was definitely strange. I thought Keaton did well while in costume. He kicked major bad guy booty and I will never forget the scene early in the movie when he catches those thives on the roof. He snatches one guy off the ground.

I liked Keatons Batman, did not like his Bruce Wayne if that makes sense. It thought Kilmer had the best Wayne, but not the best Batman. As far as Clooney, He has too many mannerisms that are Clooney and it felt more like it was Clooney in costume than Bruce Wayne in costume.