• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HA.COM

123 posts in this topic

Just to set the record straight and so that there is no confusion.....

As many of you already know, Heritage has changed its credit card policies due to the high fees (roughly 2-3%) charged by the credit card companies and PayPal.

From what I was told, this was not an over-night decision, and it sure was not one Heritage wanted to make. Heritage had been discussing their options on credit cards before I even arrived there, literally for several years, and they were well aware of what problems some buyer's would have with the decision as shown in this thread as well as the other thread that came before this one. That's one of the many reasons it took so long for this policy to be implemented. BTW....During the first few months they have been allowing past clients’ charges up to $10,000 (on a one-time basis) as a transition if they were unaware of the change.

Heritage understands very well that this change could be an inconvenience for those of you with invoices in the $2,500-$10,000 range. For those of you here that are not aware, Heritage does offer an Extended Payment Plan (We call it: EPP) on invoices above $2,500 that allows you to take up to four months to pay (of course, you can pay sooner if you want) – they don't usually don’t limit credit cards when you pay this way, and never charge a prepayment penalty for early payments. There is, however, a 3% set up fee (entirely waived if all payments are timely made by check or wire), and a monthly 1% interest charge on any unpaid balance only. For more information on how to take 4 months to pay, visit this link: http://www.ha.com/common/contactus.php?ref=&txtTopicID=26#answer Many of my friends and clients use this option on a regular basis. You may also pay quickly and easily with eCheck.

Just so there is no misundersatnding: The 3% EPP set-up fee is not refundable if you end up choosing to pay by credit card.

If you have any questions, please contact me anytime by email at steveb@ha.com or by phone: 214-409-1337. If you already have someone who you work with at Heritage, and would feel more comfortable speaking with them, then please free to contact and discuss your concerns with them.

Hope to see some of you at the New Orleans show this weekend! (thumbs u

-Steve

Steve, credit card fees are the cost of doing business. At the end of the day you should be making it easier for the common punter (like myself) to be throwing money at you, rather than forcing them to jump through hoops to pay you. We're paying you, remember?

It's an odd decision as Heritage have been more than progressive in their marketing and website tech over the years. At the end of the day, your customers should come first...if needs be a small fee could be charged to offset the CC charge (that way customers could still pay by card for larger purchases) but even then is it really necessary?

And why aren't you coming over for Super-Con? :sumo:

As many of you already know, Heritage has changed its credit card policies due to the high fees (roughly 2-3%) charged by the credit card companies and PayPal.

From what I was told, this was not an over-night decision, and it sure was not one Heritage wanted to make. Heritage had been discussing their options on credit cards before I even arrived there, literally for several years, and they were well aware of what problems some buyer's would have with the decision as shown in this thread as well as the other thread that came before this one. That's one of the many reasons it took so long for this policy to be implemented. BTW....During the first few months they have been allowing past clients’ charges up to $10,000 (on a one-time basis) as a transition if they were unaware of the change.

Heritage understands very well that this change could be an inconvenience for those of you with invoices in the $2,500-$10,000 range. For those of you here that are not aware, Heritage does offer an Extended Payment Plan (We call it: EPP) on invoices above $2,500 that allows you to take up to four months to pay (of course, you can pay sooner if you want) – they don't usually don’t limit credit cards when you pay this way, and never charge a prepayment penalty for early payments. There is, however, a 3% set up fee (entirely waived if all payments are timely made by check or wire), and a monthly 1% interest charge on any unpaid balance only. For more information on how to take 4 months to pay, visit this link: http://www.ha.com/common/contactus.php?ref=&txtTopicID=26#answer Many of my friends and clients use this option on a regular basis. You may also pay quickly and easily with eCheck.

Just so there is no misundersatnding: The 3% EPP set-up fee is not refundable if you end up choosing to pay by credit card.

If you have any questions, please contact me anytime by email at steveb@ha.com or by phone: 214-409-1337. If you already have someone who you work with at Heritage, and would feel more comfortable speaking with them, then please free to contact and discuss your concerns with them.

-Steve

Steve, credit card fees are the cost of doing business. At the end of the day you should be making it easier for the common punter (like myself) to be throwing money at you, rather than forcing them to jump through hoops to pay you. We're paying you, remember?

It's an odd decision as Heritage have been more than progressive in their marketing and website tech over the years. At the end of the day, your customers should come first...if needs be a small fee could be charged to offset the CC charge (that way customers could still pay by card for larger purchases) but even then is it really necessary?

I'm guessing it's chargeback loses that they are trying to prevent. Most bank merchant accounts forbid passing the CC fee directly to the customer in the form of a fee if a CC is used.

I don't like it but I understand it. From their perspective I'm sure their view point is that 3% of almost a billion in sales so that is a lot of money. At the end of the day I doubt it will have much of an impact on their sales and they know it.

How can that be? Unless you have the cash for a purchase on hand, how are you supposed to buy more expensive stuff from HA, aside from CC or Paypal?

I don't like it but I understand it. From their perspective I'm sure their view point is that 3% of almost a billion in sales so that is a lot of money. At the end of the day I doubt it will have much of an impact on their sales and they know it.

How can that be? Unless you have the cash for a purchase on hand, how are you supposed to buy more expensive stuff from HA, aside from CC or Paypal?

Payment plan?

Payment plan?

Credit from HA? No thanks!

I'll second this. It's a joke that HA, they of the 19% buyers fee, is whining about the 3% fee on credit purchases.

I can understand how people are bummed out about Heritage not accepting credit cards. But I can never understand how bidders are bothered by a buyer's fee. If you know what your max bid is, just bid approximately 19% less and it's all the same. Heritage even does the math for you as you're bidding. Your total bid is your total bid. Who cares how it gets to that number. Or what am I missing?

I'll second this. It's a joke that HA, they of the 19% buyers fee, is whining about the 3% fee on credit purchases.

I can understand how people are bummed out about Heritage not accepting credit cards. But I can never understand how bidders are bothered by a buyer's fee. If you know what your max bid is, just bid approximately 19% less and it's all the same. Heritage even does the math for you as you're bidding. Your total bid is your total bid. Who cares how it gets to that number. Or what am I missing?

You're not missing anything, Barton.

The statement above stands alone. How bidders do or don't manage the buyer's fee is another issue. Me personally -- I do it the Heritage way: they avoid a 3% fee by not doing CC business, I avoid a 19% fee by not doing HA business. :grin:

Send a draft/money order? I've paid that way before and I live in Canada. I'm assuming a simple check from a US client would work fine for them?

-Steve

Maybe NP could bump the bids up 3% to cover the CC charges (shrug)

Send a draft/money order? I've paid that way before and I live in Canada. I'm assuming a simple check from a US client would work fine for them?

But you need to have all the cash available up front for a money order. And I'm not so sure HA would accept a simple check for $20,000 from just anyone. They certainly shouldn't accept it from me.

From what I was told, this was not an over-night decision, and it sure was not one Heritage wanted to make. Heritage had been discussing their options on credit cards before I even arrived there, literally for several years, and they were well aware of what problems some buyer's would have with the decision as shown in this thread as well as the other thread that came before this one. That's one of the many reasons it took so long for this policy to be implemented. BTW....During the first few months they have been allowing past clients charges up to $10,000 (on a one-time basis) as a transition if they were unaware of the change.

Heritage understands very well that this change could be an inconvenience for those of you with invoices in the $2,500-$10,000 range. For those of you here that are not aware, Heritage does offer an Extended Payment Plan (We call it: EPP) on invoices above $2,500 that allows you to take up to four months to pay (of course, you can pay sooner if you want) they don't usually dont limit credit cards when you pay this way, and never charge a prepayment penalty for early payments. There is, however, a 3% set up fee (entirely waived if all payments are timely made by check or wire), and a monthly 1% interest charge on any unpaid balance only. For more information on how to take 4 months to pay, visit this link: http://www.ha.com/common/contactus.php?ref=&txtTopicID=26#answer Many of my friends and clients use this option on a regular basis. You may also pay quickly and easily with eCheck.

-Steve

+1 here. Unfortunately everyone has their hands in the cookie jar when it comes to getting paid. When dealing with credit cards, the CC company and Paypal (or whomever you're going to deal with) will ALWAYS get paid. Its a fact of life that nothing is ever free....so you either have to accept it as the cost of doing business or you raise fees. The consequences of doing the latter I believe are certainly being expressed in this thread and will probably lead to lower bids higher priced items.

So you do the math: lower bids on invoices of $2500 or more x 19.5% = LESS REVENUE

Is it really that important to leave a bad taste in many of your loyal clients over 3%, esp. when you're approximately 10% higher than ALL of the competition??

And also, the last time I checked, every seller on this forum who accepts Paypal PAYS THE FREAKIN' 3% FEE!!!!

Since when has Heritage ascended above their customers?!?!

From what I was told, this was not an over-night decision, and it sure was not one Heritage wanted to make. Heritage had been discussing their options on credit cards before I even arrived there, literally for several years, and they were well aware of what problems some buyer's would have with the decision as shown in this thread as well as the other thread that came before this one. That's one of the many reasons it took so long for this policy to be implemented. BTW....During the first few months they have been allowing past clients charges up to $10,000 (on a one-time basis) as a transition if they were unaware of the change.

Heritage understands very well that this change could be an inconvenience for those of you with invoices in the $2,500-$10,000 range. For those of you here that are not aware, Heritage does offer an Extended Payment Plan (We call it: EPP) on invoices above $2,500 that allows you to take up to four months to pay (of course, you can pay sooner if you want) they don't usually dont limit credit cards when you pay this way, and never charge a prepayment penalty for early payments. There is, however, a 3% set up fee (entirely waived if all payments are timely made by check or wire), and a monthly 1% interest charge on any unpaid balance only. For more information on how to take 4 months to pay, visit this link: http://www.ha.com/common/contactus.php?ref=&txtTopicID=26#answer Many of my friends and clients use this option on a regular basis. You may also pay quickly and easily with eCheck.

-Steve

+1 here. Unfortunately everyone has their hands in the cookie jar when it comes to getting paid. When dealing with credit cards, the CC company and Paypal (or whomever you're going to deal with) will ALWAYS get paid. Its a fact of life that nothing is ever free....so you either have to accept it as the cost of doing business or you raise fees. The consequences of doing the latter I believe are certainly being expressed in this thread and will probably lead to lower bids higher priced items.

So you do the math: lower bids on invoices of $2500 or more x 19.5% = LESS REVENUE

Is it really that important to leave a bad taste in many of your loyal clients over 3%, esp. when you're approximately 10% higher than ALL of the competition??

And also, the last time I checked, every seller on this forum who accepts Paypal PAYS THE FREAKIN' 3% FEE!!!!

Heritage is financially large enough to flip the model and set up a situation where the customer actually avoids transaction fees by paying a smaller fee to Heritage via their easy payment installment plan.

-Steve

Heritage is financially large enough to flip the model and set up a situation where the customer actually avoids transaction fees by paying a smaller fee to Heritage via their easy payment installment plan.

And at only 1% month interest..what a deal to those of us with credit cards with APRs below 10% and points programs :eyeroll:

Quite honestly, I bet this one goes the way of the ATM card use fees that all the banks tried to implement and shortly thereafter backed out of. A similar situation was seen with Verizon recently attempting to pass aditional fees to customers before getting absolutely slammed for it. All those companies thought they were large enough to get away with it too. Ultimately, I think Heritage will see lower prices and a subsequently smaller cut. Once it hits the magic number that it outweighs the fees they are paying the credit card companies, I think they will be playing a different tune.

I know I will do my part and abstain from bidding until this resolves. Many other options (including these fabulous boards) for places to spend my money the way I choose to spend it (thumbs u

-Steve

That's precisely what I was thinking. In-house financing at its finest. Consign Here, Buy Here, Sell Here, Pay Here. I'd just like to see Steve wearing a plaid 70s Sport Jacket and with a cigar in his mouth, and the analogy to your corner used car lot would be complete. :baiting:

In fairness to Steve, this wasn't his decision, just one he has to explain and justify to us and his extensive client list. Imagine being the Netflix Customer Service Reps who had to deal with all those angry callers once the decision was made to double the price of the monthly service.

-Steve

That's precisely what I was thinking. In-house financing at its finest. Consign Here, Buy Here, Sell Here, Pay Here. I'd just like to see Steve wearing a plaid 70s Sport Jacket and with a cigar in his mouth, and the analogy to your corner used car lot would be complete. :baiting:

In fairness to Steve, this wasn't his decision, just one he has to explain and justify to us and his extensive client list. Imagine being the Netflix Customer Service Reps who had to deal with all those angry callers once the decision was made to double the price of the monthly service.

Yes, no blame to Steve :foryou: This is just me taking issue with a company wide decision.

hm Someone technically better than I with charts can comment further on this, but Netflix is another cautionary tale by my quick check. Looks like they announced their doubled fees in July 2011...since that time they have underperformed the S&P 500 by approximately 60%. I bet the stakeholders are just thrilled...I am sure Heritage researched the historical consequences of companies that engaged in similar practices (granted this is nowhere near double, and Netflix has problems well outside of just doubling the fees recently). Nonetheless, a quick perusal of recent news stories suggests to me that now is a particularly poor time to enact such policy changes (given the current election/primary cycle has people thinking about personal finances and news focusing on economic difficulties).

Bad, bad business move. You build in the 3% somewhere else or cut 3% in expenses. With the median wage in the US essentially unchanged in 20 years, credit is often the only thing that makes these purchases possible.

Exactly what I was thinking. They're already getting 19% from the seller and bidder combined; is that not enough?