• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

does it matter who you sell your books to?

44 posts in this topic

I have been barked at for purchasing books and then a few weeks/months later turning around and selling or trading the same books (and sometimes making a few $ at the same time). Does this matter to anyone? Of the books i do buy or trade for, I do keep some of them for myself.

If I sell to someone and they turn around and flip it for a $50-100 profit, do I care? Answer is no. I have already received payment so the book or books now belong to them. What they do with said books is their business. People have said that they only want to sell to collectors. Does everyone feel that way or am i way off?

Your problem is george is that YOU whine for the seller to come down like 20% or so and THEN in turn, flip the book.No one really cares what someone does with a comic after it's sold..like i care if someone uses a Hulk Annual 1 9.6 for firewood after i sold it to them,but the point is that you get barked at is becuase you try and talk people down and down and pay almost nothing for it,then flip it 2 weeks later for a profit...that is what pisses everyone off about you. Kevin

all i try to do is get the best price i can get. if the seller does not want to sell it for that price...no one is forcing him to. If he thinks he can move it elsewhere or on ebay/heritage/etc...more power to them. Unlike u who pay top dollar and then sell at a loss, I would like to make a profit every now & again on a sale or at the very least break even. BTW, have u gotten that over-priced JIM #87 yet? grin.gif

Not really, but I can tell you that selling books to collectors that keep them in their collection is much more satisfying than seeing the book show up on ebay 3 months later (slabbed), and selling for multiples of what you sold it for the 1st time. Before I started selling, I used to really look forward to loisandclark's auctions because he had great books that I was looking for, great service, and was friendly to deal with. When I started selling, I figured if I could be someone else's "loisanclark", that would be great as I would be helping another collector scratch books off their want list as I knew what it felt like to be on the buying end!

Anyone think it was (financially) worth my time to purchase, pay for the books to be shipped to me, board and bag, grade, list, pack, and send Ricky's 67 NM MTU's and M2in1's at an average of $6-7 each? Well, the answer is a resounding no, but it sure was fun to grade those beauties, and it was nice to get an email from him thanking me for the great books!

Anyone see the double-cover CGC 9.8 Yogi Bear #1 (1970 Charlton) on ebay earlier this year? I sold that book raw to another "collector" for double guide, thinking it "...had found a good home...", oh well, hopefully it eventually did!

End of the soapbox, but all else being equal, I would rather sell a book to someone that plans to keep it...

Whether the person who's pissed about you flipping a book is the person you bought it from or someone who wanted to buy the book and lost it to you, they're both likely to be pissed at you for the same reason--they're jealous and wish they'd gotten the extra money or the book themselves. People don't get pissed enough to bark at you just because you didn't enjoy their comic to the fullest, they get disappointed. Envy is much more likely to generate that kind of response, and it's both common and understandable with these books that you don't see often in high grade.

Is it rational? No. Should you be worried about it? No. Is there anything you can do and should you take the steps to avoid the situation? Probably so. Create a separate buying account on E-Bay like those people in the other thread discussed so that people don't know you're flipping. The problem with that kind of thing seems to be that if you buy from somebody on one account who you also end up selling to on another, they're going to know who both of the accounts belong to, and they might spread that info around. How can you avoid that?

Personally, I'd rather sell my books (and almost always do) to someone I know is collecting them and will keep them. I don't want to sell the book to someone who's only intent is to mark it up later and hope to make a profit.

Brian

You guys ALL amuse me. I couldn't care less about what somebody does with a book after I sell it. I'm not going to buy it back, so what do I care?

I do care when somebody [!@#%^&^] about price A on a book and then sells said book for price A plus 100%. That's kind of irritating.

I try not to auction off stuff that I would like a specific collector to have. Unless it's something thats relatively common like the ASM 158 I just sold tongue.gif

Anyways, I rarely sell so it's of no problem to me. But I agree with Donut guy, it's VERY irritating to see someone attempt to haggle the price down and then the next day they're selling it for price + premium. mad.gif

Brian

I could care less who I sell to or what they do with the books I sell. I've flipped a lot of books within a week for a profit. That's the name of the game.

That being said, if I sold to a fellow board member for a discount because he really wanted the book for his collection, and then he flipped it for a profit a month later, I would be pissed.

it's only annoying when the buyer is lowballing you on the offer, when he knows you can get twice to three times the amount for it on eBay. now that's shady, that's called get a job. but if the offer is around market value that's another story. wink.gifgrin.gif

Yes, I agree with that. I sold my Marvel Super Heroes 20 CGC 9.4 - WHITE PAGES to the runt Bronty for $250 - Guides for $30. However, recently an unnamed forum member offered him $375 for the book and it's sold! Oh well, I can live with that because it was not forseeable at the time I sold the book! frown.gif

Hey!

I wanted that book for my collection but $375 sounded more than fair so I couldn't say no.... But I even asked you before I sold it, you said you didn't care if I did sell it...

Now you make me look like an SOB on the forum? frown.gif