• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Anyone collect AFA graded vintage Star Wars figures?

72 posts in this topic

So there's a running joke in my family. When I younger, I asked for the Millennium Falcon. Of course, I didn't get it but I got some GI Joe stuff instead. Being a kid, I was upset. Every year, I now ask for the Millennium Falcon whenever someone asks me what I want.

So if you know a good deal on a completed one! Please complete my childhood.

Did anyone ever join the Star Wars Club? I remember joining and getting a card and a bunch of photos from the movie.

That's a good story! lol I was a member of the Star Wars club, and I remember in fourth grade I brought my card and the "Revenge of the Jedi" patch I had received to school. It confused the other kids to see that name. lol

This thread is great, as I've been contemplating sending two figures to get graded. I have the first Darth Vader I ever bought, and the Anakin Skywalker mail-in figure. Both are in superb condition, but I have them for nostalgia more than anything. (thumbs u

Wonder if there will be a cheap crappy condition B-wing so I can salvage a gun array for the cockpit from it.

brokenpart.jpg

Only Star wars item I have but want to complete it since favourite vehicle.

Would you guys be shocked to hear that I use to tear open POTF figures, clear bubble or not, because it was easier to sell it loose and mint and then sell the coin separate then it was to sell it in a card that was damaged?

I did that to probably 100's of them.

Makes perfect sense to me. Fugly cards are just that.

We had a great little shop here 10 minutes from my home called The Earth Toy Mall. It was the only vintage toy shop i'd ever seen. My wife introduced me to it when we in college dating and that's when I knew she was a keeper. They were credited in Sansweet's Tomart guide to World Wide SW Collectibles. Really nice people. They actually had the SW Hummer in their store for awhile. That and a 6 foot wide Falcon replica as well. They shut the shop down a few years ago :cry: but I remember going in there for hours just looking at old SW, MASK and GI JOE toys. They had everything else too but they specialized in SW. That was a great little shop.

I was wondering if that store was still open or not. I unloaded a lot of my stuff to them back in the day to get that used car quickly. :(

Sad that they are no longer there.

Toughie. Not a common vintage part for the B-Wing, and may well require a full revolving hatch/cockpit as I'm not certain if the cockpit is meant to come apart at that section, which is where that particular gun array connects.

B-Wing's do well particularly well. It is one of the most popular loose ships, and whenever I see them listed, they sell quick even when priced at what I would consider too high a price. It's also one of the ships which is rarely found incomplete. The Falcon on the other hand has so many moving and connecting parts that is far more uncommon to find a complete one, or one that hasn't been fit with reproduction parts (i.e. jedi training arm and/or ball).

That said, I do have a vintage scrap yard source who has turned up some incredible stuff for me in the past. If interested, PM me letting me know what you're looking to pay.

I will also advise you to look online and see if anyone has any instructional posts on how to take the B-Wing apart. I know there are a few screws underneath the point where the revolving cockpit mounts. I've not taken one apart so I don't know and I just want to be sure you are able to even perform the repair before buying anything.

Would you guys be shocked to hear that I use to tear open POTF figures, clear bubble or not, because it was easier to sell it loose and mint and then sell the coin separate then it was to sell it in a card that was damaged?

We had a great little shop here 10 minutes from my home called The Earth Toy Mall. It was the only vintage toy shop i'd ever seen. My wife introduced me to it when we in college dating and that's when I knew she was a keeper. They were credited in Sansweet's Tomart guide to World Wide SW Collectibles. Really nice people. They actually had the SW Hummer in their store for awhile. That and a 6 foot wide Falcon replica as well. They shut the shop down a few years ago :cry: but I remember going in there for hours just looking at old SW, MASK and GI JOE toys. They had everything else too but they specialized in SW. That was a great little shop.

I was wondering if that store was still open or not. I unloaded a lot of my stuff to them back in the day to get that used car quickly. :(

There is an earth toy mall online. Is it the same store? I've bought supplies from them in the past, and was always happy with them. Very easy to deal with. With the only exception being the time they refused to send acrylic cases to Canada for concerns they would crack.

So there's a running joke in my family. When I younger, I asked for the Millennium Falcon. Of course, I didn't get it but I got some GI Joe stuff instead. Being a kid, I was upset. Every year, I now ask for the Millennium Falcon whenever someone asks me what I want.

So if you know a good deal on a completed one! Please complete my childhood.

Did anyone ever join the Star Wars Club? I remember joining and getting a card and a bunch of photos from the movie.

If you get a Millennium Falcon, as a collectors stand point, make sure it has the

"remote force ball". The little doohickie that looks like a mini black disco-ball on a string.

That is the most expensive piece of this item for it to be 100% complete.

120800.jpg

Toughie. Not a common vintage part for the B-Wing, and may well require a full revolving hatch/cockpit as I'm not certain if the cockpit is meant to come apart at that section, which is where that particular gun array connects.

B-Wing's do well particularly well. It is one of the most popular loose ships, and whenever I see them listed, they sell quick even when priced at what I would consider too high a price. It's also one of the ships which is rarely found incomplete. The Falcon on the other hand has so many moving and connecting parts that is far more uncommon to find a complete one, or one that hasn't been fit with reproduction parts (i.e. jedi training arm and/or ball).

That said, I do have a vintage scrap yard source who has turned up some incredible stuff for me in the past. If interested, PM me letting me know what you're looking to pay.

I will also advise you to look online and see if anyone has any instructional posts on how to take the B-Wing apart. I know there are a few screws underneath the point where the revolving cockpit mounts. I've not taken one apart so I don't know and I just want to be sure you are able to even perform the repair before buying anything.

From looking at mine I think only one sticker needs to peeled off and one screw holds that piece on. I could be mistaken but that is what it looked like when I was checking it out when I first got it.

Not overly worried. Think I payed $20 for it and it came with box and instructions along with the un included B-wing pilot and his proper gun. Ship other then that one piece broken is super white and in great condition.

I miss The Earth. It was a great store that had all the vintage toys from boys to girls. I was sad to learn about it closing. I wonder what happened to everything. They had a ton of stuff.

no offense, but what in the world are you people talking about, haha...there is so much mis-information in this thread. For starters, the Star Wars market is not soft, haha...I mean, it was "softer" before the new movies were announced, but star wars is one of the only things that almost always retains value.