• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, I just got my 1st CGG book...

83 posts in this topic

And btw, the Mailing label is a UPS billing label. Return address is CGGroup, po box 71154 Eugene, OR 97401. The tracking number is 1z 945 x17 03 0021 5357 - type it in, hit details, you can see it was billed and sent from Eugene to me. I have yet to get any books graded by ANYONE, so this is not a book I sent in.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

490537-upstracking.jpg

490537-upstracking.jpg.4dd3598f38d1b342850b5684a1445d9f.jpg

Okay, I did a little detective work of my own...

In this auction, the same seller claims his zip code is 97477.

Link

As mentioned above, CGG is in Eugene, zip code 97401

97477 is Springfield, OR, the next town east from Eugene (about a mile). Check out Mapquest:

link2

This does not look good...

As have I, in the past. I've stated that I like their grading, their speed, their holder, and their prices. But the bottom line is that I grade books to sell, and I like them immensely but if the market develops a peculiar rep for a company--even if I LOVE that company--that hurts the value of a product, I gotta reconsider.

Smokey, I was in your exact same situation but I have already stopped my business dealings with CGG. Same reason here, I only used CGG to slab comics to sell on Ebay. But even though they were OK with me, because much of "the market" does not trust CGG, I don't want to lose any bids with my CGG slabbed books. Therefore as I stated a month or so back, I am with CGC 100% now. Really, this is so my books will be appealing to the entire market as CGC obviously has much more respect from the community than CGG. Too bad though, and I wish CGG didn't develop such a bad rap with PVC/restoration etc. and so on because the speed and price of their service was easy to deal with. BUT, as a small business, using them as a vendor just did not make good business sense for me anymore. --------Sid

thumbsup2.gif

nice save...but he responded.

Anyway, what this looks like is an employee of CGG having his own Ebay account, perhaps without CGG knowledge. I doubt that CGG is actually buying and selling comics on Ebay.

And to think I started this thread just to say that my CGG book is a little over-graded, but the sleeve doesn't stink...

Little did I know Cuetipp was going to roll up and drop what could be a bit of a bomb.

Welcome to the boards, by the way, Cuetipp. Don't be afraid that this thread might cause trouble. You were just asking a simple question and apparently the trouble was already started. I'm going to be very interested to see where this all ends up.

popcorn.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Anyway, what this looks like is an employee of CGG having his own Ebay account, perhaps without CGG knowledge. I doubt that CGG is actually buying and selling comics on Ebay.

That would make sense. Does anyone know if CGG has a policy regarding employees selling CGG books? confused-smiley-013.gif

Edit: nevermind. Thanks for posting the link. I have NO idea why ebay couldn't find this auction in its own search engine using actual cut-and-pasted text in the "cmopleted items/title and description" search, but oh well...

with the new 2.0 changes, description text of completed auctions is no longer searchable, only the titles 893frustrated.gif

thumbsup2.gif

and using CGG's mailroom and supplies to ship? 893naughty-thumb.gif Nice scam...shipping profiteering at CGG's expense 893applaud-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif how big is CGG really that they can't keep their betches in check and keep track of what they are doing foreheadslap.gif

That would make sense. Does anyone know if CGG has a policy regarding employees selling CGG books? confused-smiley-013.gif

Well the evidence so far would suggest not, at least in an enforced way.

I'm not yet convinced that this is open and shut... Maybe the seller just happens to live near the CGG offices, maybe he just happened to work a deal with CGG to send the book directly to the buyer.

But what about the payment to CGG's Paypal account as Cuetipp says happened? Even if this is a CGG employee who happens to be selling CGG books independently from the company, how is he using the company account for receiving payments? I know my boss wouldn't like that sort of book-keeping.

I know we haven't seen any evidence of where payment was made to yet, but everything else that Cuetipp has said so far has been backed up.

Ok, an employee selling on ebay is better to swallow, although there are too many questions remaining for me to feel confident in CGGs grading. And I'm curious if it IS just an employee, why was it billed to CGG and mailed out with CGG's address as return label? Ah well, didn't know my question would erupt into a bunch of posts... kind of expected a "it happens". Thanks everyone for their responses, and again, sorry for the controversy!

By the way, someone asked about the purple label earlier... does CGG not normally use purple labels? If not, whats the significance of a purple label?

Thinking I'm going to call CGG and ask if someone can have a book mailed to someone else - that would explain the shipping label/billing.

...why was it billed to CGG and mailed out with CGG's address as return label?

Very interesting. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

When I check back in tomorrow this thread will have 600-800 views and 200-250 posts.

"CGG steps in it again" threads are HOT!

27_laughing.gif

...why was it billed to CGG and mailed out with CGG's address as return label?

Very interesting. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

When I check back in tomorrow this thread will have 600-800 views and 200-250 posts.

"CGG steps in it again" threads are HOT!

27_laughing.gif

In my mind, IF this turns out to be from within the company (with the company's knowledge or not), it will be the biggest pile of "$h1t" that CGG has stepped in so far.

OK, just got off the phone with Daniel Patterson, CGGs senior grader.

The book was sent out for someone who lives 1 mile or so away. He made it sound like the guy gets a lot of books graded and this was a first-time thing to make it easier on the customer.

I checked Paypal - cant get the address of the seller, but the invoice that was enclosed with the book was something that looked - in my view - like a receipt. It basically was meant to be emailed to the customer telling him the tracking number and that he'd be charged for the shipping (my apologies for not reading, then re-reading, etc). To me, it looked like a company invoice.

As far as this goes, I'll chalk it up to odd I guess, and slightly suspicious. I cant prove they sold the book, I cant prove they didnt. Either way, it was meant as a basic question, but turned into errr a little more. laugh.gif

I still think it looks a little suspicious. I emailed paypal and asked for the sellers address, etc (I have the persons name). If needed, I'll scan the invoice thingy this weekend when my new scanner comes.