• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC notes slight resto, assigns blue label?

34 posts in this topic

Alright, who is laying odds that:

1). This thread makes it to Friday?

2). The tin-foil hats are going on early and often.

This should be fun. :popcorn:

What point are you making? (shrug)

Because its so obvious, it isn't worth explaining. :gossip:

Well, there hasn't been a bad word said so far...until you came along with the 'tin-foil hats' reference.

So I ask again...what point are you making? (shrug)

Well, there hasn't been a bad word said so far...until you came along with the 'tin-foil hats' reference.

I was pretty surprised to see a cogent, easy to understand explanation from cgcmod4 on the blue label color touch concept. Even with that easy explanation, there will be a section of the populace here that is looking for a conspiracy in every CGC action.

I was pretty surprised to see a cogent, easy to understand explanation from cgcmod4 on the blue label color touch concept. Even with that easy explanation, there will be a section of the populace here that is looking for a conspiracy in every CGC action.

I personally don't see conspiracy in every CGC action, but I've seen enough in the last 10+ years I've been dealing with them to know that some actions/decisions have been taken for not the best of reasons.

My personal feeling on this one?

It was a conscious attempt to avoid crucifying the Holy Grail of comic book pedigrees, because if it wasn't, why the cut-off date? Was there more random glue flying through the atmosphere 60 years ago? Did pens have lives of their own in the 40s?

From the very beginning, CGC made the decision that books from before 1950 found with a very minor amount of color touch or glue acting as restoration can still get a blue Universal label, although the color touch or glue will still always be disclosed on the label itself. In addition, the minor color touch or glue will be treated as a defect and will in no way raise the grade of the book.

(As an aside, the SHOWCASE #4 mentioned had a drop of glue on it, but it was non-functional, i.e. was not being used to seal a tear or as reinforcement. So despite being post-1950, the glue on the book was a defect and was not being used as restoration, which is why the note on the SHOWCASE #4 did not say: "Restoration includes: very small amount of glue on cover." but instead simply "Small amount of glue on cover." Like tape, glue is something that the graders at CGC always disclose on the label weather it's functional or not.)

To sum up-

1.The book must be from before 1950.

2. The color touch or glue found must be very minor.

3. It will ALWAYS be noted on the label itself.

4. It will be down-graded.

:rulez:

Seems inconsistant. A comic book from 1938 should be graded exactly

as a comic book from 2008. No ifs, ands, or buts.

I personally don't see conspiracy in every CGC action, but I've seen enough in the last 10+ years I've been dealing with them to know that some actions/decisions have been taken for not the best of reasons.

My personal feeling on this one?

It was a conscious attempt to avoid crucifying the Holy Grail of comic book pedigrees, because if it wasn't, why the cut-off date? Was there more random glue flying through the atmosphere 60 years ago? Did pens have lives of their own in the 40s?

Random glue... lol