• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why you passed

86 posts in this topic

It's a very bad defect some here promote by refusing to call it "amateur restoration."

The fact that using such backwards terminology caused some folks to intentionally apply tape to get a better blue grade than they would have gotten without tape should end the debate about whether it is restoration. CGC says it improves a book. Where's the common sense? A tear seal is tape. If you call taking an El Marko to a cover "color touch" worthy of a PLOD, how can you deny Scotch tape deserves the same PLOD treatment?

Seems like maybe what's talking here is money. Makes me wary.

I'm always intrigued when a conversation devolves into personal attacks.

So anyone who disagrees with you is motivated by greed?

Utter nonsense. I've never taped a book in my life, and never will.

It's overly simplistic to state that CGC says tape improves a book. The truth is, CGC downgrades for tape, but they downgrade more for a detached cover. So, if you reattach a cover with tape, you get a bump.

Calling the application of tape "amateur restoration" wouldn't make it any more a heinous procedure than it already is. No one likes it, but that doesn't make it resto.

To be clear, I'm not accusing you of putting tape on a book or intending any personal attacks. My "money is talking" comment was a reference to the comic collecting community mores on this issue, and my comment about being "wary" referred to issues I see with the market in general. Again, not directed at you.

I am having trouble understanding why anyone would resist a PLOD label for a taped book. The PLOD label would deter taping. That's good, isn't it?

The PLOD label makes sense since taping is a form of amateur restoration. The clear intent of most Scotch taping was to repair tears, right? Just like using archival tape for "tear seals". I just don't get the opposition to a PLOD.

What I infer is the following:

(1) Some folks (you?) think tape is "obvious" and "destructive" therefore it shouldn't be dignified with the term "restoration." I don't want to "dignify" tape either, but does anyone object to calling an el marko on the cover "amateur restoration" when it is also obvious and destructive?

(2) Some folks may think that calling tape "restoration" will give restored books an even worse name. Perhaps the motivation is preservation of restored book value?

(3) Some folks may be looking to preserve the value of their taped books by avoiding PLOD stigma.

Are there any other options?

It's overly simplistic to state that CGC says tape improves a book. The truth is, CGC downgrades for tape, but they downgrade more for a detached cover. So, if you reattach a cover with tape, you get a bump.

What's simplistic?

If you tape a book's detached cover back on you get a bump over the grade without tape.

But, if you have a conservator reattach the cover with archival tape, you get a PLOD (and a bigger downgrade).

This makes sense why?

I am having trouble understanding why anyone would resist a PLOD label for a taped book. The PLOD label would deter taping.That's good, isn't it?

A PLOD on taped books would also deter submissions.So naturally CGC would(does)resist it for the sake of their bottom line.It would also be a difficult task to convince dealers that all of the books in their inventories with tape are now restored.I can't think of one major dealer who calls tape restoration.

I agree with Bedrock that it is a defect and should be graded/priced as such.It's frustrating to most of us when CGC grades a book with a cover reattached with tape higher than if it were loose.I prefer to look at taped books as if the tape weren't there.It's really very easy to visualize exactly what the book looked like prior to taping,and grade accordingly.Perhaps that is a reason it differs from restoration efforts that attempt to mask the repairs.

I would applaud CGC if they graded taped books as if the tape wasn't there,and that would in return stop people from taping books solely to maximize profits as well.

Bad centering, miscuts, tape.

I also normally dont like pages that are not at least off-white. The whole cream/ tan pages thing bothers me. I think it was because i read about a big time book collector whole said he lost tons of money on books that had brittle pages so I think for me tan= getting brittle pages... (whether that is the case or not).