• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DM vs. Newsstand?

10 posts in this topic

I know I've been gone for awhile but I made the mistake of hitting a link on a recent Mile High spam mail and seeing that Chuck has Modern newsstand copies priced at multiples of their DM counterparts.

An example is Amazing Spider Man #17. DM NM price: $12.40 / Newsstand NM Price: $126. Another is ASM #36: CGC 9.6: $112.50 / Unslabbed NM: $232.50.

Did newsstand copies somehow spike and I wasn't looking or is Chuck hitting the peyote again?

Jim

Well, there are some people who have a preference for newsstand copies over DM copies... To the extent that they're often willing to pay a small premium (much like people who pay a premium for white pages).

I've never heard of anyone putting a 10X premium on them, though... Best case I've ever seen was someone offering to pay double for a newsstand copy of a very specific issue.

I know I've been gone for awhile but I made the mistake of hitting a link on a recent Mile High spam mail and seeing that Chuck has Modern newsstand copies priced at multiples of their DM counterparts.

An example is Amazing Spider Man #17. DM NM price: $12.40 / Newsstand NM Price: $126. Another is ASM #36: CGC 9.6: $112.50 / Unslabbed NM: $232.50.

Did newsstand copies somehow spike and I wasn't looking or is Chuck hitting the peyote again?

Jim

I've heard it suggested that Mile High's site has some kind of built-in function that raises the price as stock dwindles below a certain point. It may be true, in order to discourage anyone from buying their last remaining issue in stock, but it does look pretty crazy. I actually don't know, just talking. :)

this is a bit silly though...so anyone who lives near a barnes & noble or wherever that gets the newstand version has an instant money maker? dopey if you ask me. i understand some newstand versions are impossible, and I guess a premium is justified there. although if you really want to get technical, not only are the print-runs much much much lower, but I'd imagine 95% of them are trashed on the rack. with that sort of logic, some random newstand version of ASM or X-Men that comes back a 9.8 should be worth $500, no?

Doesn't he also ramp up the prices for pence copies?

Yes, usually double the cent price.

Chuck operates outside the market.... lol

i'll give the guy credit. i get his e-mails every couple of days touting some sale/deal and how he happened to stumble across some palette of comics he didn't realize was in some broom closet or whatever and he seems to be enjoying himself. but for a guy who keeps on saying "I don't think we can keep on giving you 60% off" he sure seems to be very interested in buying every fricking comic he can get his hands on.