• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How did you get your comic book money???

50 posts in this topic

1) dog walking for neighbors

2) stuffing envelopes/delivering packages for my mother's office/business

3) scrounging through pockets of coats in the closet looking for loose change in the sofa, etc.

4) collecting pennies and cashing them in

As a kid in the 80's would sell off unwanted gifts and toys at school. Used that money to buy candy at the store and then took that candy to school and sold it for double what I paid for it. That made me all the money I needed to get all the comic books and TMNT trading cards & action figures I wanted.

When I turned 11 I joined one of those youth work programs that sold candy...

You did that before you turned 11? Wow, sounds like your gears started turning at an early age. :applause:

I realized at about 6 that I could sell candy and my unwanted toys to friends for a profit. :grin: My mom thought I'd be rich when I grew up because of it. Unfortunately my hobbies keep me in the poor house.

I started with the weekly allowance - 5 dollars, enough for 8 comics at the time. When I sent off for my first Mile High Comics catalog, I decided I needed to mow lawns. When I could drive, I got a part-time job and really started raking in the dough - $3.35 an hour. It was enough. :)

As a kid in the 80's would sell off unwanted gifts and toys at school. Used that money to buy candy at the store and then took that candy to school and sold it for double what I paid for it. That made me all the money I needed to get all the comic books and TMNT trading cards & action figures I wanted.

When I turned 11 I joined one of those youth work programs that sold candy...

You did that before you turned 11? Wow, sounds like your gears started turning at an early age. :applause:

I realized at about 6 that I could sell candy and my unwanted toys to friends for a profit. :grin: My mom thought I'd be rich when I grew up because of it. Unfortunately my hobbies keep me in the poor house.

yeah, i was an entrepeneur when I was a kid (selling comics and baseball cards on the street, always scheming something up) and really into computers/tech as a pre-teen (which would have been a nice skill-set graduating from college in 1993, in the nascent stages of the internet boom) and then I lost all interest in that in favor of sports, girls and partying, so now I am a lawyer shlub pushing paper in front of a computer most of the time, trying a case now and then, but not making much loot at it. need to get off my fat rump and do something with myself!

i would like to impart some of that scheming entrepeneurialism on to my eldest son, but at age 6 he barely has a concept of what things cost, etc. he can do the math, but dollar amounts are abstract concepts. he just wants his stuff now! i do see some hope in that he really enjoys when we do the yearly yard sale. but when i mention opening a bank account for him so we can deposit the jar of pennies we have sitting around and me offering to kick in spare change every week, all he can see is not having his big pile of pennies to play with anymore and gets upset. the concept of saving to get what you want later or deferred gratification are totally lost on him.

i suppose we are typical americans in that regard given the negative balance currently in my bank account (ok, i do have a 401K I don't touch).

I used to shovel snow, with my brother and a couple of friends, in the Jamaica Estates area of Queens, NY. It was, and still is, kind of an upscale neighborhood. Wasn't too far from my house and we would often make $300-400 a week, each, shoveling snow there.

In the summer, it was mowing lawns, cleaning up yards, birthday present money, and sometimes even got an allowance.

When I was 14yrs-16yrs old, I worked 2 jobs in the summer.

I detasled corn for 8-10hrs a day. Then went to work at local arcade/batting cages/mini-golf course for the rest of the evening. I worked at the arcade from spring to fall.

During the winters I..........stole comics. I was a bad kid, the one your mom told you to stay away from.

My dad used to pay me five dollars a week for mowing the lawn. Once we transfered to Landstuhl army base I guess he felt sorry for me.

Not having any friends, and only the AFRTS channel to keep me entertained, he let me raid his coin jar every week.

Three bucks was enough to buy 8 comics a week for the three years we were there. My parents were also kind enough to hold on to my books for about six years until I finally moved them to my place.

Lawn mower. Later I worked as an assistant in the print shop. Still later I made concrete. Soon thereafter the money changed course away from the comic shop & flowed into the beer vendors' hands & into the gas tank as I chased women & neglected Kitty Pryde.