• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JIM 83 9.4 sells for $222k

54 posts in this topic

I used to own a couple of these "Canadian Collection" J.I.M.s and they are very fresh, with intense cover inks.

Doug Sulipa told me the OO stored them in the old Robert Bell polybags. :insane:

It's hard to believe how far the Marvel keys have come in NM in the last few years, $43k to $222k in the space of 7 years is astounding. I remember Pedigree Comics had the Edenweld 9.4 copy on offer for $45k with no takers.

$222,200 seems like a strange total, I wonder if it was a foreign buyer, £140,000 perhaps ?

the numbskull with the 8 fetish bought 1/4 of the book?

Isn't this the disbarred lawyer? The GPA manipulator?

Why should anyone believe what that site reports is true (shrug)

well, even disbarred lawyers have to realize that publicizing a $222k sale that didn't happen is asking for a rectal probing by the tax agencies.

I used to own a couple of these "Canadian Collection" J.I.M.s and they are very fresh, with intense cover inks.

Doug Sulipa told me the OO stored them in the old Robert Bell polybags. :insane:

It's hard to believe how far the Marvel keys have come in NM in the last few years, $43k to $222k in the space of 7 years is astounding. I remember Pedigree Comics had the Edenweld 9.4 copy on offer for $45k with no takers.

$222,200 seems like a strange total, I wonder if it was a foreign buyer, £140,000 perhaps ?

i dont recall ever seeing an edenwald jim 83 9.4??

anyone got a scan of this book?

With the greatest respect to JIM fans (of which I'm one) but if the JIM 83 in 9.6 hits half a million, then the sky will fall. That 9.4 price is at least double what I'd expect, regardless of scarcity. Chicken Little has spoken!

Actually, if there were any Marvel key worthy of htting the $200K mark in 9.4 and the $500K mark in 9.6, it would be JIM 83. They literally never come up for sale in that grade.

Even as we've seen $100K become the minimum threshold for 9.4 copies of any of the Marvel keys, with a number of sales of the relatively common X-Men 1, TOS 39 and AF 15 in 9.4 (and 9.6), and maybe even of a FF 1 in 9.4, there have been no sales of JIM 83 in 9.4. If I were a wealthy Marvel HG completist, it would be the book, along with Hulk 1 in 9.4, that I would go all in because who knows when the next copy would come available? I could more easily justify $222K for a 9.4 JIM 83 than the recent $140K or so price for a 9.4 TOS 39.

We know that Brulato owns the WM 9.6 copy, but is there any truth to the rumor that he also owns one of the 9.4 copies? I know he won a 9.4 copy on eBay many years ago, but don't know if he held on to it or subsequently sold it.

tim this is true

the copy he won on ebay was originally, can u believe, a PCE graded 7.5!!!!!!!

dunno if he still owns it

+1. I am very skeptical of anything coming from Doug. It could be a case of Doug selling the book to Pedigree who then sells it back to Doug for an even higher price. Of course this is all speculation and may have no barring on reality. The real point is Doug has an admitted track record manipulating GPA data for his and his clients benefits.

Or $22,000 commission [10%] plus $200 to cover shipping?

So two sales and two taxable events with no cash coming in to pay the tax? I dunno. I'm as skeptical of Doug as anybody but I have to think that regardless of the demonstrated moral failings, he's not an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

well, even disbarred lawyers have to realize that publicizing a $222k sale that didn't happen is asking for a rectal probing by the tax agencies.

Well I'm sure he could bury any gains buy reinvesting it back into the company by way of new inventory or just leaving the proceeds in the company account. I suspect most big dealers are not paying much personal tax.

No, as others have already specualted, it is probably a very "local" buyer. hm

Initials are most likely D.S. and I am not referring to Doug Sulipa. lol

Well I'm sure he could bury any gains buy reinvesting it back into the company by way of new inventory or just leaving the proceeds in the company account. I suspect most big dealers are not paying much personal tax.

Well it doesn't work that way, buying new inventory doesn't decrease your gains, or more accurately since this is Pedigree's principal business, his revenue. I suppose he could cook the books but it sure wouldn't stand up to agency scrutiny.

Then again he could just be naive or reckless about these things, he wouldn't be the first.

I posted this in the SA JIM Appreciation/Collecting Thread but seems relevant here as well...

Toughest JIM 83-125 in CGC HG...

JIM_83-125.jpg

Great info, thanks.

I'm surprised to see how far the census numbers have swollen on J.I.M.s that were previously thought to be tough like #108, and that #105, supposedly one of the easiest in the run, is now above #107 and #115.

Both of those commanded premiums early in the census as the numbers were so low, however as they languish near the foot of this table you can buy them for a fraction of what they sold for at their peaks.

It just shows that the landscape of the census is still changing and it may look very different in the years to come as there are potentially 100's of NM copies still out there. The books people have paid the premiums for, as supposedly tough in high grade, may turn out to be the wrong ones. hm

i dont recall ever seeing an edenwald jim 83 9.4??

anyone got a scan of this book?

121388.jpg.0af583c91330e719e98b49f6f5812a08.jpg

call me crazy but earlier, darker color covers will be harder to find over time. Its not rocket science IMO. Later issued books with whiter covers will be easier.

So, I'd expect a book like JIM 84 to stay right where it is at top spot. JIM 94 on the other hand with that neutral cover and 12 issues into the run, I believe that will drop down the list over time.

EDIT: looking at the early covers I see most are light colored. It would be hard to call any except 84 and *possibly* 89 and 91 to be dark covers of the earlier books.

I'd expect #84 to stay on top of the list by a country mile, permanently.