• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JIM 83 9.4 sells for $222k

54 posts in this topic

Doug now has one of the other 9.4s (OWW) registered to his set

Cert #: 0047646001

So did he in fact own 2 copies in 9.4 ?

That's probably the Edenwald copy. Doug may have re-subbed it when it didn't sell (thus the new serial number) and kept it himself.

Granted, TOS 39 doesn't have the cache that the other big keys have, but then again neither does the JIM 83. It all boils down to two wealthy collectors wanting the book....

The difference is that JIM 83 is much much scarcer in 9.4 than TOS 39, regardless of cachet. According to the Census, there are 3 9.6 copies of TOS 39 to a lone 1 9.6 JIM 83, and 13 9.4 copies to a mere 3 of JIM 83.

In any event, I would argue that among high-end SA collectors, NM JIM 83s have always had a lot of cachet, even if Thor was never that popular a character, precisely because they were so hard to find in grade. Certainly much more cachet than a NM TOS 39.

Thor WAS that popular a character, and during the SA his book was the third most popular Marvel. :sumo:

I was only conceding the cachet point to Andy to show that even if that was true, he was still wrong. :gossip::cool:

Granted, TOS 39 doesn't have the cache that the other big keys have, but then again neither does the JIM 83. It all boils down to two wealthy collectors wanting the book....

The difference is that JIM 83 is much much scarcer in 9.4 than TOS 39, regardless of cachet. According to the Census, there are 3 9.6 copies of TOS 39 to a lone 1 9.6 JIM 83, and 13 9.4 copies to a mere 3 of JIM 83.

In any event, I would argue that among high-end SA collectors, NM JIM 83s have always had a lot of cachet, even if Thor was never that popular a character, precisely because they were so hard to find in grade. Certainly much more cachet than a NM TOS 39.

I agree.

Thor WAS that popular a character, and during the SA his book was the third most popular Marvel. :sumo:

I was only conceding the cachet point to Andy to show that even if that was true, he was still wrong. :gossip::cool:

I meant in terms of wider appeal and for collectors who are relatively new to the hobby, although the point is moot, as only a handful of hardcore moneyed vets will be prepared to shell out such sums for top grade keys like those.

I agree.

It just boils down to: August 62 vs. March 63. Seven months is a lifetime in the evolution of early Marvel.

I meant in terms of wider appeal and for collectors who are relatively new to the hobby, although the point is moot, as only a handful of hardcore moneyed vets will be prepared to shell out such sums for top grade keys like those.

I think your point is valid for new, moneyed collectors. It seems like every big money new collector who comes into the hobby first tries to complete a 9.4 or better Spiderman run. None of them ever comes in and starts with a JIM or Hulk run.

Of course, when they're finished assembling their Spidey run after 2 days, then they can start getting educated about real collecting.

I think your point is valid for new, moneyed collectors. It seems like every big money new collector who comes into the hobby first tries to complete a 9.4 or better Spiderman run. None of them ever comes in and starts with a JIM or Hulk run.

Of course, when they're finished assembling their Spidey run after 2 days, then they can start getting educated about real collecting.

:eyeroll:

121431.jpg.6e83d1d7bdf8f43fb772d639fc924521.jpg

JIM #83 is also one of the earliest of the Mega keys, preceded only by FF #1 and released the same month as AF #15 (if you don't count TTA #27 as a Mega key).

JIM #83 is also one of the earliest of the Mega keys, preceded only by FF #1 and released the same month as AF #15 (if you don't count TTA #27 as a Mega key).

Hulk #1 :gossip:

I was just going to say.....

I was just going to say.....

+1