• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fairly new collector....dumb questions....

27 posts in this topic

I have only seriously been collecting comic art for alittle over a year. My comic book collection was pretty much filled out and I was missing the thrill of the hunt. Thats when my buddy turned me on to the art. I think I have a pretty good start to a nice collection, even have a few grail pieces. I know this is a dumb question but I really want to share and post my collection. I'm a member of CAF and now on here.....heres the question. Do you "scan" your pages or just take pics of them. I dont have a big enough scanner and everytime I take pics it never comes out looking good enough.....I even thought about going to office max. Like I said.....dumb question.

Always looking for Thanos and Squadron Supreme pages.....mainly from the original series.

I have an 11x17 scanner/photocopier at work. Larger pieces I'll have scanned at a shop that does advertising work. They have a flatbed scanner that can handle pieces 4" thick (framed basically), but that's not cheap.

Some folks scan really big pieces and connect them with software.

BTW, an 11x17 scanner isn't terribly expensive - Brother has offered them for $200-$250 or so.

There's a software program called "Scan n Stitch Deluxe" which, if you scan your art across several pieces it automatically puts it together as one whole piece for you.

It's not fool proof, but if you follow the instructions, it's quite easy.

The alernative of an 11 x 17 scanner is probably recommended however.

Photos can be good and convenient too.

It depends on what the purpose of your imaging is, if it's to build a website, sell on eBay, have for reference, etc.

The more formalized and professional the purpose, the probably more detailed and high resolution your needs will be.

You guys have been a huge help. I heard the Mustek was good but slow. Heck I only have about 200 pages to scan....lol

it is not that bad. Probably less than 5 minutes per page if you are focused on doing it. I am usuallydoning other stuff while I scan.

I just usually take pics with my cellphone camera or someone lets me borrow their cheaper Canon Powershot. If you play around with the settings and illuminate the area with some good, even lighting from a couple angles, it could work. Flash is terrible though, so don't even go near that.

Only about a year of serious collecting. I bought my first pages acouple of years ago from a Heritage auction with a bunch of Squadron pages. Took awhile for the financials to catch up to the desire. Trust me most of my pages wouldnt impress too many people other than myself...which is what really matters.....but I do have acouple really sweet pages.

Hey Greedo.......I take it you went to the Wizard show last weekend?. I went out to dinner sunday night with Arthur Suydam. Him and I talked at the Mid-ohio and i recommended some places to eat at when he came down and to my surprise he took me up on the offer. Super nice guy. Did you score anything good there?

Hey Greedo.......I take it you went to the Wizard show last weekend?. I went out to dinner sunday night with Arthur Suydam. Him and I talked at the Mid-ohio and i recommended some places to eat at when he came down and to my surprise he took me up on the offer. Super nice guy. Did you score anything good there?

A few things, but I mostly worked on my new sketch Jam

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5414256#Post5414256