• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What themes do you want in your collection?

12 posts in this topic

If you could buy/build a collection with a "theme", what would you want?

Basic stuff, like a Strange Tales run or all X-Men keys or Neal Adams covers?

Fan favorites like Hulk-Thing battles or Superman-Flash races?

Or story arcs like Death of Phoenix, Carnage or an alternate universe reset?

Anything else (besides grade) make a group more interesting than its individual books?

(moved from mid-thread in Silver forum)

A year or so ago I began toying with the idea of buying books with orange covers & without regard for the title, characters, creators, publisher, or date of publication.

Cool. As regards covers, I'm a big fan of "super enraged gorilla" battles (wings optional) and "weddings gone wrong" (detective 407 - wedding of Man Bat a personal favorite). I know one collector who just likes covers with folks playing chess (a la JLA #1).

some of the most popular themes seem to

Crossovers: when a hero or villan appears in a title other than the book he is names for (Hulk against The Thing in FF as an example)

GGA - Good girl art

War Covers - or covers that fictionalize real life events (obama spidey cover)

Robot Covers: my new favourite is Golden Age representations of Robots

I am interested in comics, especially those who would have crystallzed in the superhero genre (but not only those) which reflects, and offer an interesting commentary first to the World War II events, but then on different historical moments as well, especially if they have artistic value and do not stop to the external appearance of historical facts.

I have no great plans yet but I'd love to one day own all the original Watchmen in 9.8, a set of Civil War in 9.8+ with variants, and some Planet/World War Hulk original art. These aren't the most expensive or rare books but all have personal significance to me.

I read comics as a kid but grew up very poor and could rarely afford to buy them. When I was 23 I read the Watchmen. It reignited the passion for comics with in me. I didn't know where to start and just randomly started picking up TPBs. When I read Civil War I fell in love. I all my spare cash went towards new books after that. After my first con in Chicago I started getting singles, seeing all the significant keys on display made me jealous. My collection is small but growing. I have some bills I need to pay off and I really shouldn't buy what I do but I'm trying to be responsible and take it slow.