• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top title by Publisher? You choose...

33 posts in this topic

Nice Wonderworld Comics Mr.B, and that was a mighty bold statement about Mystery Men, but I'm still leaning toward Wonder/Wonderworld over Mystery Men because of Wonder Man being only the second Super-powered hero and the popular Flame appearing in Wonderworld. Not to mention the awesomeness of the title & covers.... :cloud9:

I noticed you started with #5, so let's review the first four issues, shall we. :banana:

wonder1front.jpg

wondercomics2.jpg

wonderworld3.jpg

wonderworld4.jpg

Killer Wonderworlds, guys. I'm partial to that title over Mystery Men, because of the to-die-for interior art by Fine (story art in #7 especially) in addition to the incredible covers.

Aragon/Gilmor: Weird Mysteries.

Comic Media: (tie) Horrific, Weird Terror

I'm torn between Wonder Comics/Wonderworld Comics & Mystery Men Comics for Fox. Tough choice there. I'm siding with Wonder/Wonderwolrd though: First Supes imitator,Wonder Man, and The Flame.... hm

.....and Lou Fine interior artwork.....

What's your favorite Fox title, Jon? :popcorn:

I've also noticed that Wonder Comics #1 is very scarce and besides one CGC 9.2, very, very scarce in high grade (next highest graded is CGC 3.0.)

There is a Qualified 9.0, but it has a 4" spine split, so basically a very, very nice VG/VG+ in the real world.

Only 11 copies graded total.

I'm torn between Wonder Comics/Wonderworld Comics & Mystery Men Comics for Fox. Tough choice there. I'm siding with Wonder/Wonderwolrd though: First Supes imitator,Wonder Man, and The Flame.... hm

.....and Lou Fine interior artwork.....

What's your favorite Fox title, Jon? :popcorn:

I've also noticed that Wonder Comics #1 is very scarce and besides one CGC 9.2, very, very scarce in high grade (next highest graded is CGC 3.0.)

There is a Qualified 9.0, but it has a 4" spine split, so basically a very, very nice VG/VG+ in the real world.

Only 11 copies graded total.

I have all the pre war fox books.

Mysterymen 3 is my overall favorite cover (I have the Church run except for the three missing numbers that don't exist for Church) I have (as Steve knows) the Church and Larson #3s.

ditto on the Wonderworlds which is the run I am most attracted to since I am a Fine fannaddict. Page of art is from Wonderworld 10. I have another page from that issue. NOTE only Lou Fine would take the time to have a superhero "drape" his cape over his arm so it does not get wet.

The Church run I have except for where none exist and I slipped in a Larson and a San Francisco

#1 is the Overstreet copy and is drop dead gorgeous 9.4? The Wonder 2 is the Allentown...

Great niche classic GA publisher.....jb

121720.jpg.85e78d067555f3c87fcf03fe5b33ecf4.jpg

121721.jpg.ca50a645b4cedd81118b3b9af3fc02bd.jpg

121726.jpg.a581d6e9c3bf21f8259c781b64439b8e.jpg

121727.jpg.f06051238c65ab166d8ebb49eca5a60c.jpg

121729.jpg.d1f1c73357ac809f4214a71519e408b9.jpg

I have (as Steve knows) the Church and Larson #3s.

:facepalm:

Isn't the Wonder Comics 2 more scarce than the Wonder Comics 1? (shrug)

more than twice as many in the census. i had several shots at a 1, but only a couple chances at the second book.

I have (as Steve knows) the Church and Larson #3s.

:facepalm:

Isn't the Wonder Comics 2 more scarce than the Wonder Comics 1? (shrug)

more than twice as many in the census. i had several shots at a 1, but only a couple chances at the second book.

#2 is the more scarce book, but #1 is a pretty scarce key issue (being it is the first Superman imitator.) If it were not as scarce, and traded more often, I would expect it to have a higher trading value. It is a GA Key that is flying under the radar, IMHO.