• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Malibu comics' Utraverse titles

19 posts in this topic

I was wondering what the story was behind Malibu comics' Utraverse titles if any. I actually liked some of these new characters and stories. They seemed to burst out onto the scene with many titles: Freex, Prime, Prototype, The Strangers & Rune being my faves. Marvel comics then started crossing over some major characters into the titles such as Spider-Man, Hulk, and if memory serves me right, The Avengers. The titles seemed to fizzle out soon after and I had thought at the time Marvel had bought them out or something to that nature. Does anyone know some background info on these titles? TIA!

I searched the forum but could not find anything on this topic so excuse if this has alresdy been discussed.

I remember the Mantra model on my first trip to the San Diego con a decade or so ago. She was hot. British girl with a cute accent. I hope these books do "come back" as I certainly have a few "prime" Malibu books that I'd like to sell. ------Sid

I think, although I'm not sure, that Marvel did buy Malibu's Ultraverse line and then proceeded to do nothing whatsoever with them. I suspect that the financial woes that Marvel were experiencing during this period, plus a general shrinkage in the market, may have led to said neglect.

Shame, 'cause I liked Breyfogle's Prime.

I remember the Mantra model on my first trip to the San Diego con a decade or so ago. She was hot. British girl with a cute accent. I hope these books do "come back" as I certainly have a few "prime" Malibu books that I'd like to sell. ------Sid

I have a few myself..I wouldn't mind if they pickup abit 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Malibu burst onto the scene after Image and grabbed a sizable market percentage. They also had their own inhouse computer coloring system. So, Marvel (Perelman etc) got a great idea: buy up Malibus market share (thereby bolstering Marvel's sagging share) AND save tons of money as well as play catchup coloring quality-wise with Image.

But then everything got worse, the titles died, coloring became justanother computer function with so much competition around that it became cheaper to hire it out.... Another Marvel Purchase like Skybox, Fleer and Panini that looked better in the WALL ST JOURNAL than on the ground.

Malibu burst onto the scene after Image and grabbed a sizable market percentage. They also had their own inhouse computer coloring system. So, Marvel (Perelman etc) got a great idea: buy up Malibus market share (thereby bolstering Marvel's sagging share) AND save tons of money as well as play catchup coloring quality-wise with Image.

Very interesting and makes more sense than what I was originally thinking. As I couldn't see Marvel feeling threatened by Malibu enough to "buy them out" just to halt the titles. But you must admit they gave it a very good run for the money: good stories, quality art/coloring and the books came out on schedual! I remember meeting Steve Gerber and having him sign my copies of Sludge #1 at the Philly Con years ago. A lot of the Malibu creative team showed up in force as well which further led me to believe they were going to grab their nitch in the marketplace. I assume Marvel still holds the rights to these characters (?) and when they released their Exiles title I thought it would be the Malibu characters but alas...

BassGMan- I think I have a pic of a Mantra from that Con at Philly I will have to search for it!

BassGMan- I think I have a pic of a Mantra from that Con at Philly I will have to search for it!

Come to think of it... I'm pretty sure I do as well, I think it was the San Diego con in '92 perhaps, give or take a year. -----Sid

I think, although I'm not sure, that Marvel did buy Malibu's Ultraverse line and then proceeded to do nothing whatsoever with them.

What Marvel ended up doing was far worse than nothing. After they got the rights to the characters they proceeded to put out books with Marvel + Malibu characters done by hack creators that were nothing short of terrible. Hence any fan base Malibu built up for the characters was lost. crazy.gif

But then everything got worse, the titles died, coloring became justanother computer function with so much competition around that it became cheaper to hire it out.... Another Marvel Purchase like Skybox, Fleer and Panini that looked better in the WALL ST JOURNAL than on the ground.

Marvel has a preliminary film deal with Universal for the Prime character. Unfortunately, because of Hulk's poor box office performance, nothing has been done with it.

I think, although I'm not sure, that Marvel did buy Malibu's Ultraverse line and then proceeded to do nothing whatsoever with them.

What Marvel ended up doing was far worse than nothing. After they got the rights to the characters they proceeded to put out books with Marvel + Malibu characters done by hack creators that were nothing short of terrible. Hence any fan base Malibu built up for the characters was lost. crazy.gif

I don't remember any of those books, even though I was collecting at the time. foreheadslap.gif Ah well, thanks blowout for clearing that up.

I bought a storage room full of valiants/Malibu's back in 1999. Managed to sell some of them, at about .25 cents @. Still have 5 boxes left in one of the storage rooms. Every once in a while I stick a few in my comic book auctions. All NM+ of course!

CAL hi.gif

Blowout you are absolutly right! I had almost forgotton how shoddy the art had become after the addition of the Marvel characters. You'd of thought it would have gotten better, huh go figure.

I had almost forgotton how shoddy the art had become after the addition of the Marvel characters. You'd of thought it would have gotten better, huh go figure.

Well, my thinking is that Marvel really only bought Malibu to eliminate a growing competitor, rather than any real desire to use their stable of characters in a possitive way. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Paging Fantasyfootballbono... confused-smiley-013.gif

It was prebankruptcy so I can't remember. If you guys really want to know I can find out.

Not desperate to know, but it would be interesting. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif