• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading question...

26 posts in this topic

i am hoarding all well centered high grade books because after the PQ issue is beaten to death, the next uncharted, not yet mined frontier is centering :roflmao:

Actually not a bad strategy.

Not all HG books are equal...and once GPA and CGC realizes this and accounts for it in both sales and grading I'll feel a little better about some of the prices I'm having to pay (knowing a whacked out cream paged 9.8 sold for large sums less than a perfectly centered, white paged copy for example)

As a general rule, I disclose defects that are not visible from a scan, irrespective of how low a grade the book might be.

Case in point...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=248056&Number=5439881#Post5439881

Even amongst low-grade collectors, there are certain defects that they would prefer to avoid, so you have to give them that information.

As a general rule, you should be proactively disclosing everything you know about a book, whether it bothers you or not.

I know that's not how some people want to play it, but it's how I want to play it.

(thumbs u

I purchase low graders and if the defect is within grade then the seller may not disclose the defect. 2.0 allows for detached CF. I tend to ask the seller beforehand about certain defects that I don't want to collect.

That's interesting, as I collect high grade books, and do the same asking on both CGC and raw books. My pet peeve is corner creases, which in my opinion were more harshly treated in the olden days. Now you can get CGC 9.2s, 9.4s with corner creases, and I think some examples of even higher grades have been posted here in the past with this defect.

This is a good point. I thought it was just me and I had not looked closely enough to see them before.

If enough collectors wanted it, I think they'd do it.

Don't they have a centering grade with Baseball Cards?

there is a long list of what collectors would like to change and yes, centering would be one of the them.

YES! Make it part of the online database (not just factored in the grade), and make a web services API available so folks like GPA can become more accurate in reporting sales.

I recently bought an ASM 129 cgc 9.6 and when I got it I spent some time comparing it to many other 9.6 pics that I could find on ebay & heritage. They all seemed to meet the basic criterium for 9.6 but they looked vastly different because of the centering.

Do you think CGC should add a "centering" grade so that super high grade comics like 9.6s & 9.8s can be differentiated even more.

Right now CGC makes a note of the interior paper color, which is nice, but there is no mention on the label of "centering"

How about creating some kind of grade for "centering". To me centering is a huge deal. Not all 9.8s are created equal. Obviously a 9.8 with perfect centering is way more valuable than a 9.8 that is off center, or even worse a 9.8 that has tilted registration. I don't think CGC marks off at all for poor centering, and an investor that is paying top dollar for CGC services should probably get the heads up on centering too.

I don't think the centering grade would even have to come into effect until there is a grade of 9.0 or better.

CGC has evolved a little with their labels in the last 10 years, so maybe this could be one more evolution.

What do you think?

Opinions, likes & dislikes, vary on centering although I think most desire a cover that ends at the fold - some dislike a crooked cut more than a straight white stripe.

Unfortunately if they started to offer an opinion on preference then the hobby would likely follow - I'm ok with transparent cases that allow buyers to decide what they don't want in their collection based on their own preferences.