• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is 9.0 considered high grade for pre 1965 comic books?

38 posts in this topic

I know there have been posts about what you or someone else would consider high grade. That be said what I am asking is overall, does the collecting community consider comic books (1965 and pre 1965) graded at 9.0; high grade?

I always only collected 9.2 and above, no matter the era. The problem is some popular Marvel silver age keys are becoming either hard to find in above 9.0, or the price spreads are insane. What is the general consensus of the collecting community?

I thank you for you help.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Oh, I wanted to add one other thing. I always compared a 9.2 comic book to the equivalent of a MS 63 coin. I know I am comparing 'apples to oranges', but if anyone collects both coins and comic books, what are your thoughts?

If this doesn't show that I over-analyze everything I collect, nothing will.

For as long as I've been into comics (about 27 years) most people I've discussed this with have been of the opinion that 8.0 VF and above are high grade.

+1

Now, the difference between what you find collectible (i.e. your 9.2 threshold) and where high grade begins seems more likely to be the question here. There was a thread on this within the last year. 9.0 could be high grade, but if you only buy books that are at least 9.2 you are a 9.2 collector, not a HG collector. Nothing wrong with that as I have the same threshold on many titles I collect, just not pre-65 (and that is a budget decision, not a matter of not wanting them).

For as long as I've been into comics (about 27 years) most people I've discussed this with have been of the opinion that 8.0 VF and above are high grade.

Yep.

Some move the goalposts depending on era, but I (and I think most collectors) think that's nonsense. There are simply fewer high grade copies of older books.

Yep.

Some move the goalposts depending on era, but I (and I think most collectors) think that's nonsense. There are simply fewer high grade copies of older books.

+1 8.0 is my threshold across the board.An Action 1 in 6.0 may be highest graded,but still not be high grade.

Thank you everyone for your help! I always thought high grade was 9.2 and above; but the more I study the market it seems I may have been wrong all along.

It should be noted that I set (as someone called them) 'goalposts' at differnt grades for different eras. As such, I also have to take the 'book' into question when making this decision. Normally, I would not touch a modern or copper age boook unless it is a 9.8, a late bronze; would be 9.6, and early to mid bronze is 9.2 to 9.4; with all silver coming in at 9.2.

What sparked this discussion is the fact that I am having trouble finding a lot of books 1965 and earlier in 9.2; and when I do the price spreads are insane!

9.0 seems to be high grade when looking at most books; even when compared to a 9.2. I guess I was wrong in my initital analysis.

This is what happens when you try to compare other collecting hobbies (i.e. coins and currency) to comic books...

+1

Now, the difference between what you find collectible (i.e. your 9.2 threshold) and where high grade begins seems more likely to be the question here. There was a thread on this within the last year. 9.0 could be high grade, but if you only buy books that are at least 9.2 you are a 9.2 collector, not a HG collector. Nothing wrong with that as I have the same threshold on many titles I collect, just not pre-65 (and that is a budget decision, not a matter of not wanting them).

I agree with lscomics.

To me 8.0 (or roughly the VF range) has always been the start of high grade. Mainly for the reason that on average VF quality books have many high grade characteristics over all...clean, straight edges, sharp corners, gloss, etc.

There will always be exceptions but as a general rule a VF range book is what the average non-collector person would consider "like new" (as they for the most part unable to assess the finer details of grading).

I personally prefer 9.0 and above books but that is a different thing altogether.

+1

I agree with lscomics.

To me 8.0 (or roughly the VF range) has always been the start of high grade. Mainly for the reason that on average VF quality books have many high grade characteristics over all...clean, straight edges, sharp corners, gloss, etc.

There will always be exceptions but as a general rule a VF range book is what the average non-collector person would consider "like new" (as they for the most part unable to assess the finer details of grading).

I personally prefer 9.0 and above books but that is a different thing altogether.

Here's to VF 8.0 AF15s. :golfclap:

I too agree that high grade begins with VF. I'm also of the opinion that the goalposts shouldn't be moved for different eras.

I too agree that high grade begins with VF. I'm also of the opinion that the goalposts shouldn't be moved for different eras.

The goalposts for what constitues high grade should not move, but you may move your particular goalposts for what you will collect/can afford.

I think goal posts should and do move based on both availability and price.

While I wouldn't go lower than 9.8 for 99.9% of books, 1980-present, I'd be more than happy with a TMNT # 1 in 9.4.

And if you have a hard-and-fast rule for 9.0+ for pre-1966 keys, you might be waiting a long time, particularly for non-Marvels (i.e., Showcase 4 & 22--there are only 4 copies of Showcase # 4 in 9.0 plus, and only 3 copies of Showcase 22 at 9.0 with none higher).

That's a far cry from Amazing Fantasy 15 (16 in 9.0+) or Avengers 1 (30).

I don't think the goal post should move. Copies of some books simply don't exist above some grades. For example if there's a particular book where the highest know copy is say a 5.5 that doesn't make it a high grade copy. Just the highest graded copy of the book.

I agree.

High grade is a qualitative term. It's not related to how many copies there is of a certain grade or what era a book is from.

High grade for a particular copy is something entirely different.

(thumbs u

I agree.

High grade is a qualitative term. It's not related to how many copies there is of a certain grade or what era a book is from.

(thumbs u

Let me ask you this. Would you consider 9.0 to be high grade for a 'copper age' or modern era book?

I agree.

(thumbs u

Let me ask you this. Would you consider 9.0 to be high grade for a 'copper age' or modern era book?

A high grade book should have high grade qualities, regardless of era.

Yes, 9.0 is a high grade for a copper or a GA because both books will have high grade qualities.

That is an entirely different thing than having a 6.0 copy of Captain Marvel Adventures #1, which is high grade for that particular book which is rarely found about VG range.

6.0 might be high grade for a CMA #1 but it will not have high grade qualities so while it is a high grade copy [of a particular book] it is not actually high grade.

I agree.

(thumbs u

A high grade book should have high grade qualities, regardless of era.

Yes, 9.0 is a high grade for a copper or a GA because both books will have high grade qualities.

That is an entirely different thing than having a 6.0 copy of Captain Marvel Adventures #1, which is high grade for that particular book which is rarely found about VG range.

6.0 might be high grade for a CMA #1 but it will not have high grade qualities so while it is a high grade copy [of a particular book] it is not actually high grade.

(thumbs u

7.5 to me for pre '65 books is high grade since it's technically a VF-.

While I'd agree that it's high for that particular era, I don't agree that it is a "high grade comic".