• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book men tonight on AMC after Walking Dead

265 posts in this topic

I was floored when they told that guy the Tek #35 was only worth about $300. I quickly looked it up and even a restored .5 was over $3K on GPA. To let a goof like that make it on-air in the first few minutes to me was very telling about what might come afterward. I didn't stay up to watch the rest (maybe I will finish watching tonight) but from everyone's comments it sounds like it didn't get much better. Too bad.

Why on Earth anyone would produce such a show is beyond me.

This same thought has popped into my head numerous times when I saw commercials for upcoming dramas like " Truck Stop Missouri", "Sweet Home Alabama" and "Housewives of Every Frigging City in the USA". Television in general has taken a turn for the worse with all of these damned, stupid reality shows. I guess nobody can act anymore. Just let them do their normal boring stuff and make a TV show out of it. :P

FWIW, the three reviews I just glanced over (SF Chronicle, LA Times, NY Times) all put the show in a positive light. One even reviewed it as a reality show based on "fanboy culture" and not just comic book culture.

The review written on Huffington Post by two comic store owners was negative.

Take that for what its worth.

I was curious how the general public would see it compared to geeks and had a feeling that they would find it more entertaining than we would.

Laughing at us rather than with us, methinks.

This same thought has popped into my head numerous times when I saw commercials for upcoming dramas like " Truck Stop Missouri", "Sweet Home Alabama" and "Housewives of Every Frigging City in the USA". Television in general has taken a turn for the worse with all of these damned, stupid reality shows. I guess nobody can act anymore. Just let them do their normal boring stuff and make a TV show out of it. :P

Amen.

I used to really enjoy channels like History, Discovery & National Geographic. Now they're chock full of any mundane bs they can squeeze an ounce of drama out of.

I fully expect Diaper Changers of Duluth, once they figure out it's hazardous.

I was floored when they told that guy the Tek #35 was only worth about $300. I quickly looked it up and even a restored .5 was over $3K on GPA. To let a goof like that make it on-air in the first few minutes to me was very telling about what might come afterward. I didn't stay up to watch the rest (maybe I will finish watching tonight) but from everyone's comments it sounds like it didn't get much better. Too bad.

Were they appraising or buying?

What is a 1.5 in guide, $1500?

So if they're trying to buy it, $300 seems like a pretty typical opening shot (actually, high for many shops) in the bargaining process for a $1500 (in guide) book. A shop isn't going to look at GPA and see what kind of wackiness is going on with the bok, particularly if they plan on putting it up on the wall and selling it in person. it will be tough to push for much more than guide for a beater like that in person.

So if they're trying to buy it, $300 seems like a pretty typical opening shot (actually, high for many shops) in the bargaining process for a $1500 (in guide) book. A shop isn't going to look at GPA and see what kind of wackiness is going on with the bok, particularly if they plan on putting it up on the wall and selling it in person. it will be tough to push for much more than guide for a beater like that in person.

He said it was worth $300 and that they "couldn't make a profit on it". Guy is a know-nothing.

there are a zillion cable channels trying to put on programming that attracts whatever .5 - 1.5 million viewers they can scrounge up. AMC only has the dough to finance a few "real shows" like WD and Madmen, yet they need 3 or 4 hours a night of programming. Hence we have oodles of terrible reality shows.

The "15 minutes of fame" has never been truer than now.

With that said, with all these cable channels and the networks competing, there are a heck of a lot of good shows on TV now. seriously, there were 3 channels when I was growing up producing dramas and comedies, etc. and a lot of bad TV then too. now there have to be at least 20 channels producing new dramatic or comedic content, often with some solid, known, actors. A lot of work/employment in the industry, that's good too.

He said it was worth $300 and that they "couldn't make a profit on it". Guy is a know-nothing.

Sounds like my old LCS ("I don't have much use for that/there isn't much demand"), except he would have offered $1 to feel the guy out and maybe move up to $2 if need be.

KevinSmith08TIFF.jpg

The thing that ate Kevin Smith, coming soon to a theater near you.

I think all of this is a lead in to a new show in which they combine the Walking Dead with Comic Book Men in which Rick and the rest of the crew leave Georgia, make their way to New Jersey and find the secret weapon to get rid of all the zombies......Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes. They start smoking, get the munchies and start eating zombies.

Jay & Silent Bob vs the Walking Dead.

yowzers, and this guy had the chutzpah to complain when some airline told him he needed to have 2 seats (to his credit, if I remember correctly he usually does buy 2 seats, but for some reason that time he couldn't/didn't)..... says The Blob who is about 4 pizzas away from that size..

I was curious how the general public would see it compared to geeks and had a feeling that they would find it more entertaining than we would.

Laughing at us rather than with us, methinks.

I really don't see this.

At a time, when nerd/geek culture is HUGE (Big Bang Theory, SDCC a media event, 3 superhero summer blockbusters in 2012, smartphones in everyones hand, a multi-BILLION dollar video game industry), people are nerdier than they have ever been. Geek is chic now. My wife has friends who choose to dress "nerdy" because its a style now.

And so what if they laugh at us? They buy are stuff. They watch our shows. They feed into the development of the industries and hobbies we dominate. We should be laughing to the bank.

yowzers, and this guy had the chutzpah to complain when some airline told him he needed to have 2 seats (to his credit, if I remember correctly he usually does buy 2 seats, but for some reason that time he couldn't/didn't)..... says The Blob who is about 4 pizzas away from that size..

If I remember right he was flying standby and only got one seat and was asked to leave the plane. All he wanted was for Southwest to admit he was too fat to fly.

He should stick to drawing comics. He's better at that than selling/buying.

I don't think the show hurts or help the hobby.

Personally I think it is boring as hell

But I don't find Kevin Smith funny .... ever. Not my sense of humor so if you find him or Silent Bob entertaining before, I am guessing you will find the show "entertaining"? (shrug)

I enjoyed Kevin Smith interview with Stan Lee the most out of everything he did.

well as far as Silent Bob, never understand or get what that guy is all about. I don't hate him but I have never got "he is funny" either.

How many here that enjoyed the show find Kevin Smith/entourages and Silent Bob hilarious?

How many here that didn't like the show find Kevin Smith/entourages and Silent Bob...boring?

at the end of the day, the comic books is secondary, it is the personalities that either draw you or I to watch the show or not.

for me I am likely to watch the 2nd show just to see if I care to waste another hour.

you haters are hilarious. what? you don't like looking in the mirror? i like the sh*t talking and banter, seems like a barbershop for nerds. they make fun of everybody including the owner of the shop. was much better than the grammys.

I liked it I'll give it a 7.5/10 overall

Comic related elements 8/10

Podcast banter 8/10, nice to hear some people on TV talking about topics I am familiar with.

Flea Market stupidity 1/10.

Dawn of the dead stuff, 7/10 nice job of deflating the guys idea that he had a gold mine.

Chucky thing 2/10 staged and dumb

Re TEC: do you want him throwing out a $3000 number and having everyone watching think their drek comics are worth a fortune? I would have thown out a similar number if he walked up to my table at a con, maybe $500. Do you want him to offer GPA? Would you offer him GPA? Dealers typically buy at 25% OSPG in my experience. He is not buying it for his collection, he needs to make a buck, and he knows a quick sale could be had at 50% guide, otherwise he may need to sit on it for a long time.

I'll watch next week, and I would bet that most of you haters will too.

No I wouldn't expect him to offer the guy GPA for his book, but I think he was asking what it was worth, and for him to say $300 it seemed (to me anyway) like he didn't really know the value and significance of the book.

I'm going to try and watch the whole show through tonight.

Re TEC: do you want him throwing out a $3000 number and having everyone watching think their drek comics are worth a fortune? I would have thown out a similar number if he walked up to my table at a con, maybe $500. Do you want him to offer GPA? Would you offer him GPA? Dealers typically buy at 25% OSPG in my experience. He is not buying it for his collection, he needs to make a buck, and he knows a quick sale could be had at 50% guide, otherwise he may need to sit on it for a long time.

It wasn't an offer, it was an appraisal.

Go back and listen to what he said. He didn't say "I offer you $300" he said "It's worth $300."

Slabbed Golden Age Tecs (especially from Batman's first year), already in cgc holders...with no resto aren't the kind of books dealers are paying 25% of guide for, unless the seller is a sucker. It's Batman's 5th cover appearance ever!

Let's not diminish how gigantic of a screw up that appraisal was. Even as an offer it's something no smart dealer would EVER want on camera.

At OSPG a 1.5 is what? $1750-2000.

His appraisal was off by 85% from OSPG and this is an easy OVER guide book 7 any day of the week and twice on Sunday.