• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book men tonight on AMC after Walking Dead

265 posts in this topic

Re TEC: do you want him throwing out a $3000 number and having everyone watching think their drek comics are worth a fortune? I would have thown out a similar number if he walked up to my table at a con, maybe $500. Do you want him to offer GPA? Would you offer him GPA? Dealers typically buy at 25% OSPG in my experience. He is not buying it for his collection, he needs to make a buck, and he knows a quick sale could be had at 50% guide, otherwise he may need to sit on it for a long time.

It wasn't an offer, it was an appraisal.

Go back and listen to what he said. He didn't say "I offer you $300" he said "It's worth $300."

Slabbed Golden Age Tecs (especially from Batman's first year), already in cgc holders...with no resto aren't the kind of books dealers are paying 25% of guide for, unless the seller is a sucker. It's Batman's 5th cover appearance ever!

Let's not diminish how gigantic of a screw up that appraisal was. Even as an offer it's something no smart dealer would EVER want on camera.

At OSPG a 1.5 is what? $1750-2000.

His appraisal was off by 85% from OSPG and this is an easy OVER guide book 7 any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Completely Agree (thumbs u

You stated it perfectly.

you haters are hilarious. what? you don't like looking in the mirror? i like the sh*t talking and banter, seems like a barbershop for nerds. they make fun of everybody including the owner of the shop. was much better than the grammys.

:golfclap:

and lets not forget that he thought the bob kane sketch was priceless and maybe valued at $10K. doh!:roflmao::screwy:

Yeah I didn't mention that but it was a common $500-600 sketch that Kane did over and over again. It wasn't anything special.

You can get a Batman 1940's daily strip near the price range he was talking for that sketch. lol

you haters are hilarious. what? you don't like looking in the mirror? i like the sh*t talking and banter, seems like a barbershop for nerds. they make fun of everybody including the owner of the shop. was much better than the grammys.

:golfclap:

That's not really the point. This show is nothing special and definitely not television worthy.

It's not funny at all (I thought Kevin Smith was supposed to be funny), it's a misrepresentation of the comic book shop owners and dealers that I personally know and is about 20 or 30 years too late for that whole "dumb geek" thing to make people laugh.

I think I made it through most of the "intros" at the very beginning, and then I turned it off.

I would much rather see a reality show based on the real "comic book men", guys like Dale Roberts, Bob Storms, Richie Evans, Rick Whitlock, etc., who do the convention circuit, run down leads on collections, get involved in bidding wars, do mail order + website + ebay sales, and do it successfully as a living despite all the obstacles they have to overcome.

Now THAT would be thirty minutes of reality television that people would tune into, geek or not.

While I somewhat enjoyed the banter I thought everyone piling on Ming was a bit awkward, especially the unemployed guy that kind of just hung around the shop. I think Ming should have come back with something. A response such as why don't you STFU and get a job hippy or why don't you give that v@gina you call a mouth a rest might have discouraged the others. It was worse than high school and I found it a bit painful that he didn't defend himself. The guy showed up and stayed late, he's probably an awesome employee and f*ing with him, in my opinion, was really not all that cool.

Anyway, I'll probably watch it again, it's no worse than any other reality TV show on right now.

that still doesn't make me understand the all the venom for the show. maybe because it's something people on here think they can do better. nobody likes to watch somebody doing something they do on TV. hm

the show was entertaining. that's it.

Has anyone mentioned the prominence given to the "Kevin Smith" display and the wall full of "Walking Dead" trades? Maybe they didn't want to favor any particular publisher, since the show wasn't really about comics, but looking at that store, you'd think Smith was a hot name in comics and that "Clerks" and "Walking Dead" were the only two comics still on the stands.

Granted, I didn't watch the whole show, but from what I read in this thread, they didn't spend much more time in the shop anyway.

I think I made it through most of the "intros" at the very beginning, and then I turned it off.

I would much rather see a reality show based on the real "comic book men", guys like Dale Roberts, Bob Storms, Richie Evans, Rick Whitlock, etc., who do the convention circuit, run down leads on collections, get involved in bidding wars, do mail order + website + ebay sales, and do it successfully as a living despite all the obstacles they have to overcome.

Now THAT would be thirty minutes of reality television that people would tune into, geek or not.

see. i rest my case. :facepalm:

see. i rest my case. :facepalm:

Supa, it wasn't entertaining to everyone. Glad you liked it. I did record it, so maybe I'll finish the whole thing and find a reason to like it. Maybe next week's will be a little more entertaining. Who knows? It just didn't "grab me" in the first few minutes at first viewing.

Slabbed Golden Age Tecs (especially from Batman's first year), already in cgc holders...with no resto aren't the kind of books dealers are paying 25% of guide for, unless the seller is a sucker. It's Batman's 5th cover appearance ever!

Let's not diminish how gigantic of a screw up that appraisal was. Even as an offer it's something no smart dealer would EVER want on camera.

At OSPG a 1.5 is what? $1750-2000.

His appraisal was off by 85% from OSPG and this is an easy OVER guide book 7 any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

The guy's appraisal has no basis in reality

Real market value is $7,000 to $8,000. A CGC 1.0 RESTORED traded privately in 2010 for $6,000.

I sold a CGC .5 Restored for $5,000 early last year.

that still doesn't make me understand the all the venom for the show. maybe because it's something people on here think they can do better. nobody likes to watch somebody doing something they do on TV. hm

the show was entertaining. that's it.

That's the thing: I didn't find it entertaining at all.

My kids could put together a show of similar quality with better humour...come on, knocking toys off a table, calling each other names and phallic hot dog jokes? That's grade school level humour.

I honestly tried hard to laugh and didn't once.

I'm finding it more and difficult to find something truly funny without the usual gutter humour. I think it takes some intelligence to make something funny and able to be consumed by all audiences. We seem to be running a deficit on funny lately.

How long can you keep that sustained as a television show though? One of the things that keeps Pawn Stars, Antiques Roadshow, American Pickers, Storage Wars, etc. entertaining is the variety of materials and genre's that they display each and every week.

Don't get me wrong - I enjoy the banter here on the boards and I really enjoy the con reports from the larger dealers. I just don't see it appealing to middle america, which is what I think Comic Book Men is trying to do.

I can assure you more people outside of comic collectors are talking about the woman in the girdle with the Chucky doll than the TEC 35 issue and how it was horrendously underpriced this morning.

How long can you keep that sustained as a television show though? One of the things that keeps Pawn Stars, Antiques Roadshow, American Pickers, Storage Wars, etc. entertaining is the variety of materials and genre's that they display each and every week.

Don't get me wrong - I enjoy the banter here on the boards and I really enjoy the con reports from the larger dealers. I just don't see it appealing to middle america, which is what I think Comic Book Men is trying to do.

I can assure you more people outside of comic collectors are talking about the woman in the girdle with the Chucky doll than the TEC 35 issue and how it was horrendously underpriced this morning.

:takeit:

thx you. :golfclap:

How much was the Chucky doll worth?

Dan

Now THAT would be thirty minutes of reality television that people would tune into, geek or not

I remember a few years back a camera crew was following Mike Carbonaro at WW Chicago. I asked the dealer I was talking to what that was all about, and it seemed that they were filming MC for a reality series. As far as I know, nothing came of it. The reasons for that could be numerous, but one of them could be that the life of a comic book dealer doesn't make for gripping TV - at least for the average non-collecting viewer

I watched the show last night, and I'm still not sure what to make of it.

There were a couple of spots where I laughed, but not many. Mostly, a lot of the banter seemed both dumb and mean-spitited as they directed insults at the "customers" who came in to sell their stuff. Like others here, I was distracted from the get go after the Tec 31/Kane sketch botched appraisal.

After a while, it seemed more and more that they were going for some kind of satire aimed at reality TV. The flea market sales bit seemed like a satire of some of the tasks on The Apprentice. The expert coming in on the movie poster/cards and then ripping the value and implying the guy was trying to rip them off (the poster was Australian, not US, the cards sell for about $25 each) "You said they were worth $800" "I said I wanted $800," seemed like a satire of Pawnstars.

Seeing as how the general consensus here is the appraisals were setup, I'm leaning towards an attempt at satire. However, it was pretty poorly executed.

I'll probably give it another try next week though. It certainly wasn't what I expected--and for a TV show, that at least says something.