• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Denver Comic Con - June 15, 16 and 17 2012

124 posts in this topic

via FB feed...

Our Super Fans,

We regret to inform you that Lauren Cohen will be unable to attend the Denver Comic Con this year. Her responsibilities for filming ran longer than expected and she was unable to pull away to attend our con at last minute.

Ms Cohan was truly looking forward to coming, as she has never been to Denver, and was looking forward to meeting the fans and seeing all the city has to offer. We at DCC have been told her that if her work schedule allows, she would love to be invited back for 2013. Please accept our regrets.

Today promises to be a spectacular opening day. With over 150 artists, 100 vendors and an amazing list of celebrity attendees we know you will have a great time in Denver. See you there!

Looks like Denver was itching for a con - way busier than I expected!

sounds like a good start :grin:

the great thing about Denver is any event there draws from the rocky mountain region covering Nebraska, Kansas, Wyoming and the four corners. lots of folks who consider a 5-hour drive no worse than going across town.

Help!

So, I bought a Friday ticket for the show online, but my daughter was sick so I couldn't go.... :sorry:

Talked with my wife and then bought a Sunday ticket for the show online, but tonight some family stuff came up and now not sure I can make it on Sunday!!! :frustrated:

So, went online to buy a ticket for Saturday online (yes, this is the expensive way to do it) but I'm too late to buy tickets for Saturday online - :sorry:

I'm okay buying them at the door, but don't want to drive the family the 1.5 hours to Denver only to told it's a sellout (as I can't make it till about 1pm)... :boo:

Any idea if I can get a ticket, or am I just plain out o' luck...

Thanks,

Carl

Family had a great time today! Bumped into and chatted with the following: Desert Wind Comics, Lonetree, Dale and Reno McCoy. Sadly, all my fun money went to the kids who bought costumes, a necklace, balloon animals, toys, dolls and a barrel size lemonade.

Overall the convention center was sooooo busy. At certain points the aisles were at a standstill and getting behind a booth involved taking a number.

And for the adults - they were selling booze and beer IN the convention center. Parent in me was like WTH but it's Rockies and you just roll with it :headbang:

Long day at the con today. Way busier than I expected - glad to see the turnout, but it was a bit crazy getting through some spots.

I'm hoping tomorrow's a bit less crazy so that I can stop by and say hello to some of the boardies. Dale - you brought a ton of sweet books! :headbang:

A brief con report.

I went only on Sunday. I played the Father's Day Card and took my two kids.

We had a lot of fun. I got signatures from Amy Reeder, Matt Kindt, Michael Zulli, Mike Grell, J. O'Barr and Jason Aaron.

The longest line we stood in was for Greg Guler - one of the artists for the cartoon Phineas and Ferb. His line was longer than the one for Neal Adams.

Amy Reeder was a lot different this time. She seemed a bit less - - - excited than when we saw her last year. Losing the Batwoman job will do that to you, I guess. She's really excited about her new Creator Owned series that will be debuting soon. She did a great Death Sketch for us - she didn't have anything to draw on, so I used an X-Men blank I had.

Reeder_Death_Sketch_2012-June17sm.jpg

Meeting J. Obarr was the highlight for me. I had him sign a ton of stuff. I asked him if I could be a dork and get a picture. When I said, "you've probably seen bigger dorks than me." He replied, "not really."

jobarr_sm.jpg

Matt Kindt is the coolest guy on the planet. He signed my copy of Mind Mgmt and had the Hernandez variant for cover price. I bought it and had him sign that too along with one of his hardcovers. Then I had him do this for my daughter.

Thor_Kindt_Sketch_2012-June-17sm.jpg

Definitely the coolest sketch I own.

Finally, we ran into Axe Cop. Unfortunately, the artist for Axe Cop had left the day before.

Ax_Cop_sm.jpg

There were other really cool CosPlay folks - we sat with a Martian Manhuntress. Should have snapped a pic.

Anyway - that's all for me. Bought no comics, but there was a ton of great stuff there. Wayne from Time Warp said they had done a ton of business. It sounds like they are going to get Stan Lee next year. The con was huge and has had great attendance all weekend. I hope they do one every year. Its nice not to have to travel very far to see these great artists and writers.

I really enjoyed the Con as well, my first full-sized Con. (I went to a small one in Montreal in 1990 before it was really a "con", just a bunch of dealers who got together in a hotel lobby for a day!)

I too went only on Sunday, and took my 3 year old daughter with me, giving my wife a true day of rest...

There were lots of artists and writers there, and met a couple of local guys (Jay and Drew Sternitzky) that are doing a nice self-published work called Short-Stack. Amazing art, so I picked up all 4 issues out so far - really nice guys.

Didn't realize Matt Kindt was there till I read the post above - sorry I missed him!

My 3 year old loved the balloon hat and necklace, the superman hairclip, the superhero headband, and making her own Captain America shield and mask at the kids tables... and don't get her started on Kung Fu Panda.

So, lots of fun for everyone...

Great to meet a few boardies as well, and appreciated meeting Dale Roberts in particular...

IMG_1998.jpg

IMG_1999.jpg

Denver Comic-Con was my first real con. Volunteered to help out Chandler and Sharon with Desert Wind Comics. All I can say is that I had an incredible time. Meeting Chandler and Sharon was fantastic. Absolutely great people!!!!!!! Looking forward to volunteering again.

When I first arrived at the DWC booth, sitting in the booth was Bob Layton. He is a great guy. Tells it like it is. Loved it. A short time later, Herb Trimpe stopped by with his wife. This was all in the first 15 minutes...

Met a number of boardies: diestler (Mark), snitzer (Paul), HotFlips (Chuck), Menace and Harley Troy who was also working the DWC booth.

Had three sketches done (1) Bob Layton (Iron Man), Mike McKone (Wizard) and (Galactus) - Will post pictures when they come back from CGC.

Most of my pictures with the artists are on Chandler's phone so I will post them when i get them. here are some pictures from the con:

My boys

DSCN2009.jpg

DSCN2021.jpg

Bob Layton signing a book for Harley Troy

DSCN2022.jpg

DSCN2023.jpg

DSCN2024.jpg

DSCN2025.jpg

DSCN2027.jpg

DSCN2028.jpg

Barry Kitson

DSCN2029.jpg

Chandler Riggs (Walking Dead)

DSCN2032.jpg

DSCN2033.jpg

Kristin bauer (True Blood)

DSCN2034.jpg

DSCN2037.jpg

Suh-weeeet ride!

thanks...btw, GAtor has first dibs lol

LoneTree - great pics and it was cool bumping into you and meeting your boys. After four hours we were whipped! My son slept almost the entire way home. Great time had by all and we are already looking forward to next year. I think a lunch or dinner, something formal, will be needed in 2013 for us :banana:

2 weeks later. 1st time on a computer Went Sunday. Had fun. Only 3 hours to find stuff. needed more time. Met for the 1st time Dale Robert's (class act), a few people on the boards. I had the the THOR hat and Avengers Shirt if you missed me. :)