• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this a CGC book? Label looks strange..

24 posts in this topic

has a "CGCgroup World" logo in the upper left corner of the slab. Has a nine-digit certification number whereas all my other CGC books (even the older red label ones) have a 10-digit code.

Have I been duped? Or is this just a label I've never seen?

Thanks for your help.

it's actually CGG, or Comics Grading Group or some nonsense. it's the name that Patterson dreamed up in a fit of brilliance before CGC gave him a cease and desist letter and then he switched to PGX.

they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but i am thinking it was just obfuscation and ripping people off

You sure the label doesn't read CGG? ;)

"See, they're McDonald's... I'm McDowell's. They got the Golden Arches, mine is the Golden Arcs. They got the Big Mac, I got the Big Mick. We both got two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles and onions, but their buns have sesame seeds. My buns have no seeds."

So it's basically a PGX book?

I'd search the CGC database for verification but the database is "currently unavailable."

I was afraid of that, but wanted verification.

This is not a case of me being a noob. This is a case of being lied to by an online auctioneer. Said one thing...when I got the package...something else altogether.

Thanks for your help.

I was afraid of that, but wanted verification.

This is not a case of me being a noob. This is a case of being lied to by an online auctioneer. Said one thing...when I got the package...something else altogether.

Thanks for your help.

Well hopefully you can open a claim if this was on eBay and get refunded or if you paid via credit card you can still do a chargeback.

but guys, pgx is just as good as cgc.......right guys? right?

[font:Book Antiqua]If I am selling, YES, they are like CGC, even better...

If I am buying... well... sorry I have a phone call,

I come back to you later...[/font]

doh!

A PGX book is worthless to me.

I'm taking the proper steps to resolve the matter. Thanks again.

has a "CGCgroup World" logo in the upper left corner of the slab. Has a nine-digit certification number whereas all my other CGC books (even the older red label ones) have a 10-digit code.

Have I been duped? Or is this just a label I've never seen?

Thanks for your help.

hey happened to me once on a fantastic four #6 a few years back before when I was looking to buy my first slab ever. Guy said it was cgc but it arrived with the CGGroup label. I kept the book because it looked decent and I got a pretty good price on it.

"See, they're McDonald's... I'm McDowell's. They got the Golden Arches, mine is the Golden Arcs. They got the Big Mac, I got the Big Mick. We both got two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles and onions, but their buns have sesame seeds. My buns have no seeds."

tumblr_looxbh32WG1qdvqkoo1_500.jpg

1233276558_3.jpg

NICE! Coming to America. The only Arsenio Hall appearance that I could stomach

tumblr_looxbh32WG1qdvqkoo1_500.jpg

1233276558_3.jpg

NICE! Coming to America. The only Arsenio Hall appearance that I could stomach

mmmmm...nothing like a Big Mick

:sick:

it's actually CGG, or Comics Grading Group or some nonsense. it's the name that Patterson dreamed up in a fit of brilliance before CGC gave him a cease and desist letter and then he switched to PGX.

they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but i am thinking it was just obfuscation and ripping people off

Oh man...I totally forgot about that lunk-headed move. :facepalm:

Oh man...I totally forgot about that lunk-headed move. :facepalm:

You probably also forgot the first name after CGG was actually PGA.

It didn't take long before PGA became PGX.

It's almost as if there was just one guy who said, "Hey! Anybody can grade and slab a book, why not me?"

Then it's almost as if that same guy knew nothing about trademarks or marketing whatsoever.

Surely that's not a completely accurate assessment of the situation.