• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nintendo Power Magazines Collectors represent!
1 1

66 posts in this topic

I accidentally sent my Nintendo Power magazines to CGC because I found out they graded magazines. Total rookie mistake-- I was too excited when I typed in "graded magazines" in Google.

But really, I wish CGC would grade these. I'm pretty sure Nintendo Power has entertained as many, if not more, boys and men as Playboy ;)

Hey guys, just wanted to update with something awesome: CGC graded my Nintendo Power issues! Someone from CGC called me telling me that they would absolutely do it, which is good, because I was this close to going to the competition, lol ... and the books came back today! I only wish that CGC's first graded Nintendo Power books weren't so low-grade ... but what can ya do ;)

A little background on these: when I was a tyke, I was super shy. I barely talked to anybody, and I preferred to stay indoors than to go out and play (mostly because going out meant I would have my face pounded into the cement).

One particularly bad summer, my older cousin, David, came to visit, and brought with him two things I'd never seen before: a Nintendo Entertainment System and some Japanese trading cards (which he insisted on keeping in mint condition-- the foundations of my collectorhood were born here!). It wasn't long before I was totally indoctrinated into these pillars of unrepentant geekery, and suddenly, I had something to talk about-- and someone to talk about it with.

Years later, when I entered high school, David bequeathed me his collection of Nintendo Power magazines, saying I'd have better use for him than he did-- which was quite the gesture. And though we've fallen out of touch lately, I thought it would be an almost-as-nice gesture to send him back two of his earliest magazines-- along with one from my personal collection.

Here they are! Sorry for the bad scans, I have a tiny scanner. And sorry about the low grades. We were, what? 7 years old? Sue us ;)

Nintendo Fun Club News v2 #7 (precursor to NP!)

NP034_zpskxgkpllr.jpg

Nintendo Power #1 (totally beat to death and practically memorized)

NP035_zpsbo2d3tbx.jpg

Nintendo Power #285 (so sad!)

NP036_zpscqqe6hna.jpg

Send in your Nintendo Power issues! CGC is taking them. And hopefully they make for a great gift to a cousin who introduced me to collecting :)

Edited by ahsieh

I sold my #1 with poster back that was in great condition back in 2011 for $51 plus shipping. Looks like I sold too early, but I hope that my name and address is in a slab now or in the future. Now I have to start learning more about the rest of my NP collection. I think I have the first 3-4 years minus #1.

Hey guys, just wanted to update with something awesome: CGC graded my Nintendo Power issues! Someone from CGC called me telling me that they would absolutely do it, which is good, because I was this close to going to the competition, lol ... and the books came back today! I only wish that CGC's first graded Nintendo Power books weren't so low-grade ... but what can ya do ;)

A little background on these: when I was a tyke, I was super shy. I barely talked to anybody, and I preferred to stay indoors than to go out and play (mostly because going out meant I would have my face pounded into the cement).

One particularly bad summer, my older cousin, David, came to visit, and brought with him two things I'd never seen before: a Nintendo Entertainment System and some Japanese trading cards (which he insisted on keeping in mint condition-- the foundations of my collectorhood were born here!). It wasn't long before I was totally indoctrinated into these pillars of unrepentant geekery, and suddenly, I had something to talk about-- and someone to talk about it with.

Years later, when I entered high school, David bequeathed me his collection of Nintendo Power magazines, saying I'd have better use for him than he did-- which was quite the gesture. And though we've fallen out of touch lately, I thought it would be an almost-as-nice gesture to send him back two of his earliest magazines-- along with one from my personal collection.

Here they are! Sorry for the bad scans, I have a tiny scanner. And sorry about the low grades. We were, what? 7 years old? Sue us ;)

Nintendo Fun Club News v2 #7 (precursor to NP!)

NP034_zpskxgkpllr.jpg

Nintendo Power #1 (totally beat to death and practically memorized)

NP035_zpsbo2d3tbx.jpg

Nintendo Power #285 (so sad!)

NP036_zpscqqe6hna.jpg

Send in your Nintendo Power issues! CGC is taking them. And hopefully they make for a great gift to a cousin who introduced me to collecting :)

Thanks for the story! And the cool news!!

Castlevania at 12th place

Contra at 22nd place

That's crazy!

AND Rad Racer and Top Gun in the Top 10?! Those games sucked...

Castlevania, Contra, G&G and Mega Man...those were the brand new games at the time. They needed a few issues to work themselves up the ladder.

Castlevania at 12th place

Contra at 22nd place

That's crazy!

AND Rad Racer and Top Gun in the Top 10?! Those games sucked...

Castlevania, Contra, G&G and Mega Man...those were the brand new games at the time. They needed a few issues to work themselves up the ladder.

Maybe the editors just needed some time to get it right. Its not the release dates. (shrug) The games you are calling brand new at the time were older than you'd guessb... GNG was a 1986 release (one of the very earliest titles). Castlevania predates top gun and came out about the same time as rad racer.... etc.. I do agree that mega man and contra were pretty new at the time