• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Does Colour Rub/Ink Transfer Affect CGC Grading?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Does anyone know what kind of impact it has on a CGC-graded comic? You know what I'm talking about. When ink is transferred from one cover to another when they've been stored together without a bag or other barrier in between them. You see this often on white covers - especially back covers. Very common on the white back covers of ASM vol.2 #36 because of the black front covers.

I've got 2 copies of NONPLAYER #1 and I was thinking of having them graded. They look to be 9.6 or higher structurally, but they exhibit some colour rubbing in the white frame of the FC. How do you think CGC would grade them? I'm thinking abut 9.2-9.4.

Any comments?

I have seen many high grade slabs from 9.2 to 9.6 with what you said on the bc.

they all had other flaws that lead me to believe the grades were more related to the other flaws and not the ink transfer.

Do you think it would have more of an impact if it were on the FC as is the case with the NONPLAYER #1s?

without any hard evidences like one I saw in the bc, I can't say with certainty.

I had a X-men 120 with horizontal black line across the entire front cover, likely printer roller related and the book got a 9.4 with other flaws that could have kept it any higher. Visually, it wasn't appealing but CGC didn't ding it...at least not much in that case.

I am guessing that CGC might not ding the Non Player as tough as you think they will but it is nothing more than a wag.

Are you saying that they would consider it to be a printing defect? I would doubt that since it's a post production issue. I might roll the dice if the book picks up steam - that way I'll break even at worse if they come back as 9.2.

I'm just really reluctant because the last 2 ASM vol.2 #36s I sent in came back as 9.2s.... They exhibited plenty of colour rub though.

Thanks!

as there other flaws to those 2 ASM? it is the all black cover right? I am guessing the color rubs were bad that showed the white below?

I think if the rub took some colors, it might ding the book, if the rub added colors as in most white bc, then not much of any dings.

37 minutes ago, Ajayendra said:

looks like this comic has a inkblot on the top of the comic  from printing. the comic is high grade , does anybody know how it will effect grading ?

inkblot.jpg

This is distributor ink. CGC takes this into account, but if intrusive the book will get hammered for it.

1 hour ago, Ovrclck said:

Have you seen something like this before? Is this man made error?

ASM# 194

scan0031.jpg

I think you can safely say this was 'man made'. Technically, the distributor spray was 'man made' but since it was such a common practice, CGC allows it in moderation. In any case, this example would take a big hit. Personally, I would like to see CGC treat all flaws the same, no matter how they occurred. A flaw is a flaw.  Isn't it ?

2 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I think you can safely say this was 'man made'. Technically, the distributor spray was 'man made' but since it was such a common practice, CGC allows it in moderation. In any case, this example would take a big hit. Personally, I would like to see CGC treat all flaws the same, no matter how they occurred. A flaw is a flaw.  Isn't it ?

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Probably not even worth sending in. 

I'm OK with factory blems, but to each his own right?

2 minutes ago, Ovrclck said:

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Probably not even worth sending in. 

I'm OK with factory blems, but to each his own right?

It's still an ASM 194. If the book is in nice shape otherwise, it may still be worth submitting. What do you think the grade is without the flaw ? I may have overreacted by stating 'big hit', more like a moderate hit, like 9.6 to 9.2 type of hit.