• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Percentage of CGC Submissions are Ebay bound?

18 posts in this topic

Yes I agree there are other places - like Heritage, etc., but I do notice that when I see CGC graded books at conventions they are usually books you would most probably like higher grades of - or books that would not do that well on Ebay. There are not that many dealers who have oustanding graded books in inventory - Exceptions that come to mind are Mark Wilson and a few others - But even Mark sticks his Showcase 4 eventually on Ebay; not to mention the recent ASM 1 9.6 which went through Heritage I think twice before being listed 'unreserved' on Ebay.

I wonder if that actually means that the continued success of any grading company is tangent on the continued success of Ebay or a similar internet trading company? I actually did one large convention taking only very good CGC books - I sold virtually nothing and many of the books subsequently sold on Ebay, a few bringing multiples of what I was asking at the convention. I might point out that this however was in the early days of CGC. - oops, back to the Lakers game...

Probably 98% of books are graded to sell.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm thinking of all those mass modern submissions running up the %.

On old books I'm sure the % is lower as collectors send in their gems to check for restro.

Assuming you have a very nice CGC book, what would make anyone think that you could top dollar by selling at a Con with a limited amount of people to sell to. When of course you could sell on the internet and have almost the entire pool of comic collectors to showcase the book to.

Of course, unslabbed books are a different story since most collectors are somewhat skeptical of the grade given over the internet. Therefore, an accurately graded book might be able to sell for a higher amount at a convention than on the internet.

I do acknowledge that transaction cost could go down substantially selling at a convention (CGC'd or raw) as 1) many people pay in cash and 2) there is no additional cost for each book sold and 3) the buyer doesn't have to pay shipping.

Assuming you have a very nice CGC book, what would make anyone think that you could top dollar by selling at a Con with a limited amount of people to sell to.

All it takes is the right person, and there are still some who like to see a book before they buy. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Personally, I've been slowly grading my personal collection. But, since grading costs money, I've also been grading some books that I no longer wish to keep in my collection. I slab those extra books with the intent of selling them on eBay, hopefully to offset my collection's grading fees.

I believe it's much lower. I have slabbed a lot of FF's books with no intention to sell.

Probably 98% of books are graded to sell.

There are other places than eBay though... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

See my second post... gossip.gif