• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SAGA from Image Comics
6 6

9,900 posts in this topic

The sad fact is that greed killed what should have the best comic of 2013.

If Larry was charging $60 for that - no wonder Image and Marvel have pulled the plug.

The knob even put $4 cover price.

In what way has the comic been "killed" then? How has greed stopped it being the best comic of 2013? People are still reading the book and liking it. Reviews are good. I think what you mean is that greed has killed the speculation market - if that is the case then boo hoo for all the people that aren't able to triple their money. Doesn't affect the story or the quality of the book at all.

And did you read the article about no further printings? How did you come to the conclusion that Image's decision was anything to do with the number of variants on Bedlam? Total nonsense.

I think it has more to do with Image seeing $ they should be getting from customers going to speculators and variant producers. I have no idea what the cost structure is like, but I'm assuming if there's a variant produced, image isn't charging much more to print those than they do the regular issue. I'm assuming they feel that it's more cost-effective for them to print 30,000 of one issue than print 15,000, then 1,000 variants, then 500 variants, then reprint another 5,000 for second print, then another 5,000 for third print, and so on.

Like I said, I have no idea what their pricing and costs are, but I'm assuming they feel it's in their best interests to gauge how a comic is really selling based on content rather than speculation.

If Larry was charging $60 for that - no wonder Image and Marvel have pulled the plug.

In what way has the comic been "killed" then? How has greed stopped it being the best comic of 2013? People are still reading the book and liking it. Reviews are good. I think what you mean is that greed has killed the speculation market - if that is the case then boo hoo for all the people that aren't able to triple their money. Doesn't affect the story or the quality of the book at all.

And did you read the article about no further printings? How did you come to the conclusion that Image's decision was anything to do with the number of variants on Bedlam? Total nonsense.

I think it has more to do with Image seeing $ they should be getting from customers going to speculators and variant producers. I have no idea what the cost structure is like, but I'm assuming if there's a variant produced, image isn't charging much more to print those than they do the regular issue. I'm assuming they feel that it's more cost-effective for them to print 30,000 of one issue than print 15,000, then 1,000 variants, then 500 variants, then reprint another 5,000 for second print, then another 5,000 for third print, and so on.

Like I said, I have no idea what their pricing and costs are, but I'm assuming they feel it's in their best interests to gauge how a comic is really selling based on content rather than speculation.

Again, with respect, I don't see how this ties in to what was said in Image's letter at all. They said they are stopping further printings (i.e. second and third prints), because it encourages retailers to be cautious when ordering first prints. It's nothing to do with variants, or with speculation.

How would this get Image more money that would otherwise go to speculators?

Again, with respect, I don't see how this ties in to what was said in Image's letter at all. They said they are stopping further printings (i.e. second and third prints), because it encourages retailers to be cautious when ordering first prints. It's nothing to do with variants, or with speculation.

The only thing I can think of is that people read into the second and third prints comment to also mean variants.

With regards to the money, it's probably more cost efficient for Image to produce more of one printing than to have to reprint & reship multiple copies of the same issue. If they felt that people were purposely under-ordering first prints to drive up value in the secondary market, then that could be a reason. I literally have no idea. I was just trying to make a guess.

I think some LCS owners are lazy with respects to ordering independent titles. As owners, it is their choice to buy what they want. One local shop rarely orders more Image than their subscriber base and another shop orders plenty of extras.

I think Image wants the owners to speculate on more of their titles by buying into hype/marketing and making larger initial orders (larger initial orders means lower printing costs.)

This could back fire. All it takes is a few titles to come out. An LCS orders a ton based on initial hype and good marketing and then it turns out to be a well polished turd. Then no one buys it at the store. The shop owner is left with inventory they can't move. This will just put shop owners back to timid ordering habits to protect themselves.

I also don't think this has anything to do with variants. Later printings and variants are two very different things.

For secondary market speculation, this means on Image titles, when you speculate on a new comic, you won't have to worry about a pesky 2nd print coming along stealing some steam.

Edited by Mangbus

The only thing I can think of is that people read into the second and third prints comment to also mean variants.

With regards to the money, it's probably more cost efficient for Image to produce more of one printing than to have to reprint & reship multiple copies of the same issue. If they felt that people were purposely under-ordering first prints to drive up value in the secondary market, then that could be a reason. I literally have no idea. I was just trying to make a guess.

But ultimately isn't it the retailers/distributors placing first print orders? i.e. not the people that are benefitting from the secondary market. Certainly what Image seem to think is that people are ordering less than they otherwise might because they are worried about having lots of copies left over.

I'm no expert - like you, I'm just guessing. Anyway at least your points have some logic to them, unlike others...

I think some LCS owners are lazy with respects to ordering independent titles. As owners, it is their choice to buy what they want. One local shop rarely orders more Image than their subscriber base and another shop orders plenty of extras.

I think Image wants the owners to speculate on more of their titles by buying into hype/marketing and making larger initial orders (larger initial orders means lower printing costs.)

This could back fire. All it takes is a few titles to come out. An LCS orders a ton based on initial hype and good marketing and then it turns out to be a well polished turd. Then no one buys it at the store. The shop owner is left with inventory they can't move. This will just put shop owners back to timid ordering habits to protect themselves.

I also don't think this has anything to do with variants. Later printings and variants are two very different things.

For secondary market speculation, this means on Image titles, when you speculate on a new comic, you won't have to worry about a pesky 2nd print coming along stealing some steam.

Agreed re all of this. Well put.

FOAD I'm not opining on the wisdom or otherwise of Image's decision - just pointing out that it has nothing to do with Ghostphantomspectreapparitionghoul variants.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out for them. I understand that they might be peeved that some of their titles are seeing significant drops on a monthly basis, but I would expect that this is due more to a lack of interest from LCS clients than anything. It is great that a comic is receiving critical acclaim from reviewers, but unless it translates into cold hard cash from a lot readers it does not matter. If I am an LCS owner, the only titles I would over order now on spec are the tier 1 titles that will always have demand from Marvel and DC (e.g. Batman, JLA, GL, Supes, X-Men, Avengers, Spider-Man). Not going into reprints could kill Image titles that are not immediate successes and take time to build up a following.

On the other hand, it should help speculators make more on hot books as the only game in town will be lower order 1st prints. :applause:

And did you read the article about no further printings? How did you come to the conclusion that Image's decision was anything to do with the number of variants on Bedlam? Total nonsense. [/quote

Edited by Andy70

got my midtown shipment (they shorted me 10 copies of the WD Firsts #1 grrr)

the Sagas all had that "scuff" in the upper left corner.

I would be :frustrated:

Do you think they will fix it if you call them? TFAW jacked me (more than once) by bad shipping and all my Revival #4 got jacked. They fixed it. At least it's not a lot of $$$ but still.