• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SAGA from Image Comics
6 6

9,900 posts in this topic

Well guys... It's been a pretty *spoon*itty day in my comic universe. The comic gods mock me.

I bought 21 Saga's from an online comic retailer for cover (2 - 9), three of each except 2 (1) and 9 (2). #2 was $7.99 and the rest were $2.99. Got an email a day later that said...

8393526992_e78e9dd6f9_z.jpg

My first thought, "this dude saw what I ordered, checked around, and decided to strong-arm me to either keep the books or raise prices."

Long story short... he wanted to raise the price of #2 from $7.99 to $29.99. He did offer to let me buy one each at cover as long as I would buy one at the raised price (insane pricing - higher than I've seen anywhere else raw). He wanted me to come out of pocket for more money. I told him to just sell me one set at cover (to try to work with him) and refund the difference (I shouldn't have to pay more money). His reply, "I respectfully decline."

His excuse was that a price update that was supposed to occur did not occur due to someone with the servers (yada, yada, yada, excuses). This is classic bait and switch boys and girls.

How does the story end Ryan... ?

(1) My money back

(2) He keeps his books (smiling)

(3) Ryan is not happy

(4) Buyer beware...

wow. some people really need a lesson in customer service and owning up to mistakes.

For me, if you're a store (online or not) that buys direct from a supplier you should stick with cover price. You shouldn't start going through your back issues and adjusting - that's the charm of a comic store - finding gems at cover price.

Resellers can charge whatever they want as they're matching the market trends, but if you bought in bulk at cost price from the supplier - sell it at cover.

Just my thoughts, would prob think differently if I owned a store...

I would push again for one set at listed price and money back for the rest.

For me, if you're a store (online or not) that buys direct from a supplier you should stick with cover price. You shouldn't start going through your back issues and adjusting - that's the charm of a comic store - finding gems at cover price.

Resellers can charge whatever they want as they're matching the market trends, but if you bought in bulk at cost price from the supplier - sell it at cover.

Just my thoughts, would prob think differently if I owned a store...

I would push again for one set at listed price and money back for the rest.

I am okay with an LCS raising the price after the 1st week. Only if they are within reason.

Example, if it sells (sells.. not listed at) on ebay for $20, then put it up for $10-15. Not $25. I am in your store, I am interested, I won't be attempting to scam you, we won't have to hope it arrives as described, you won't have to pay ebay fees, etc. I hate the 'it sells for $xx.xx on eBay all the time' line.

I understand where the high-grade slabbers have been coming from all along with this title, it's unnerving to see ~40k of an issue. Of every issue. However, it seems that all of the TPB's and multiple printings available are not stopping people from adding a lot of support to the first prints of all the issues, both raw and slabbed.

It will be interesting to see where the real resistance begins. I guess once more books get high grades that will put things into perspective. I don't know. All I know is #1 raw went from 30 bucks to 100 bucks for no obvious reason, and all the other back issues started to creep up in price and vanish altogether, so I bought some more cheaply while I still could, and some weren't as cheap as I would have liked.

when people post a picture like the one with all sagas on ebay, it makes me not want to bid at all. jmo

Why? It's not like those were pre-orders. He just recognized the book's potential faster than most and bought quantity while the book was still relatively cheap. You could go on ebay today and put together a similar stack (well, the RRPs may take a little longer), it would just cost a lot more.

SCUM BAGS.

I got allocated by ComicsAmerica that day as well, but after a conversation on the phone later that evening, the guy sold me one of everything that I had ordered at the prices that you have in that invoice there.

It's not bait and switch because rather than keeping the low prices posted online, the guy raised his online advertised prices and kept them there after contacting me to say that the order could not be processed. (I've since checked a few times over the past couple of days to see if he WAS dropping them down or whatever, but it does not seem that way.)

Also, they are not obligated to honor the posted prices or amount of stuff that you add to your cart because they do not accept your offer to purchase until after they approve the order. Now if they charged your card and then said, well, we can't sell you this at this price because it's more now, then that would be bait-and-switch. Or price gouging, I forget which.

Either way, I was also disappointed, but hopefully I will at least get a box from them and it will not be damaged.

Wow. You should've told them to respectfully below you. You handled that way more professionally than I would've after the 3rd e-mail.

I got allocated by ComicsAmerica that day as well, but after a conversation on the phone later that evening, the guy sold me one of everything that I had ordered at the prices that you have in that invoice there.

It's not bait and switch because rather than keeping the low prices posted online, the guy raised his online advertised prices and kept them there after contacting me to say that the order could not be processed. (I've since checked a few times over the past couple of days to see if he WAS dropping them down or whatever, but it does not seem that way.)

Also, they are not obligated to honor the posted prices or amount of stuff that you add to your cart because they do not accept your offer to purchase until after they approve the order. Now if they charged your card and then said, well, we can't sell you this at this price because it's more now, then that would be bait-and-switch. Or price gouging, I forget which.

Either way, I was also disappointed, but hopefully I will at least get a box from them and it will not be damaged.

He said they did already charge him.

It's not like you were trying to order 10 or even 20 of each. Customer is king.

Mental Note: never buy from ComicsAmerica.com

Enjoy... and learn somethin' chil'rens!

I sent them a nice note Ryan. I ordered in the past from them but won't anymore (thumbs u

Right is right. He should have made some type of reasonable accommodation for his error. In other news: just read #9.... Slave girl is the sleeper character that's going to carry the series (not).

That's how they get out of it. Your PayPal is debited(and held pending acceptance). They chose not to honor the order or prices. It's is not 100% bait and switch, but it IS close to being that (advertising a product/price and SWITCHING product, price, or both).

That's how they get out of it. Your PayPal is debited(and held pending acceptance). They chose not to honor the order or prices. It's is not 100% bait and switch, but it IS close to being that (advertising a product/price and SWITCHING product, price, or both).

Yep, that's their wiggle-room. I doubt that they had any "plans" to raise price until they got a couple of "big" orders and that's their "watchdog" to investigate their server "glitches". He "could not figure out" how I was able to clean out his inventory into my cart. I don't know, I just kept requesting the next-highest number of items until it said you were out. =\