• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hypothetical pricing question on ASM lot...

31 posts in this topic

Flip-flopper? confused-smiley-013.gif

Wuzzat? confused-smiley-013.gif They flip thru him, but they don't flop back, do they? confused.gif

A flip-flopper can't decide whether they're strictly a dealer, or a collector-dealer. But I guess once gman sells all his books the answer will be obvious!! 27_laughing.gif

Why are you surprised? He is the boards leading flipper. grin.gif

I wasn't surprised, I was trying to figure out if the guy is a PURE flipper or whether he collects anything. It had been sounding like he was a Spidey collector, but now that he's flipping all those...sounds like he really is a pure flipper! crazy.gif

I was a collector for many years and have been buying/selling since I was 15. Just ask Ted at Superworld. Will I sell this lot? I doubt it. I was just asking for opinions.I would love to build on the run but can't find a #13 that is affordable and may pursue a 29,30 however those are plentiful.

Do I occasionally flip books? Sure who doesn't? The difference is the amount made on the flip. Buying for $100 and selling for $75 IMO is not a good flip. insane.gif

#28 cgc 8.0 - $400

This actually seems a bit low. I was (briefly... until I started tracking it for a while) interested in this book and the prices quickly became out of reach for a nicer copy.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I picked up a CGC 7.5 for $175 last year confused-smiley-013.gif

Maybe I was just looking at the wrong time as I recall some raw Fine copies going for something close to that...

Anyhow, I managed to fight off the Spider-bug and am interested in only a couple of Bronze MTU's... laugh.gif

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I had offered it for about that price on more than one occasion on these very boards...

I wasn't surprised, I was trying to figure out if the guy is a PURE flipper or whether he collects anything. It had been sounding like he was a Spidey collector, but now that he's flipping all those...sounds like he really is a pure flipper! crazy.gif

I was a collector for many years and have been buying/selling since I was 15. Just ask Ted at Superworld. Will I sell this lot? I doubt it. I was just asking for opinions.I would love to build on the run but can't find a #13 that is affordable and may pursue a 29,30 however those are plentiful.

Do I occasionally flip books? Sure who doesn't? The difference is the amount made on the flip. Buying for $100 and selling for $75 IMO is not a good flip. insane.gif

Methinks he doth protest too much. grin.gif

Methinks he doth protest too much. grin.gif

And the guy who never flips at a loss finds himself in a cemetery... surrounded by tombstone reminders of deals gone wrong...

I have been in comic shops like that, where they refuse to ever sell anything at a loss. So everything they ever had that was good is long gone, and all they have left are reminders of the worst deals they ever made, because those are the deals that will never be flipped at a profit.

If I buy ten books at $100 each and flip eight of them for $150 each, does it really make sense to keep the two that are only worth $75 a piece? I should tie up nearly half of my profit on these deals in two books that I refuse to sell until they increase 34% from their current value? The question isn't what did you pay for these items originally, it's would you be a buyer at their present value. And if that answer is no, you should be capitalizing the loss rather than hanging more albatrosses around your neck. foreheadslap.gif

if the overall deal is making you $$ then of course it's all good. I am referring to those who buy a book for $200, toss it up on ebay a week/month later and it sells for $120. I don't see the sense in it. makepoint.gif

if the overall deal is making you $$ then of course it's all good. I am referring to those who buy a book for $200, toss it up on ebay a week/month later and it sells for $120. I don't see the sense in it.

Both of you have good points.

I agree that if you buy a book for an immediate flip, and loss money, then you have done something wrong.

But if you buy a book at what you believe to be a reasonable price, hold it for a while and then realize that the market value has dropped, there is nothing wrong with taking a loss.